Choosing my kids footy team?

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: ZENITH R, Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Re: Choosing my kids footy team?

Post by westlondonlalala » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:14 pm

Libertine wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:53 pm
Being driven down South Africa road as a child, seeing all the hooped shirts, seeing the players walking from the old BBC car park, seeing the badge and Loftus Road sign, walking down Batman Close to the Uxbridge Road before kick off, leaning over the wall to touch the pitch from the Paddock, hearing the raw of the Loft after a goal and the deafening "Come on You R's" before a corner are some of my favourite childhood memories. I couldn't be more grateful towards my Dad for taking me as a boy and we've shared some amazing moments whilst following QPR together down the years. Of all the amazing things my Dad has done for me over my entire life, the QPR indoctrination is undoubtedly top of the list.

I know it's largely depressing following QPR but don't forget this is the greatest football club on the entire planet. If you don't encourage them to follow QPR you'll be missing out on some of the best possible bonding moments you could wish for. You'll likely only experience one or two in a generation... but what moments they'll be.

"My God, a moment of bliss. Why, isn't that enough for a whole lifetime?"

If my daughter shows even the slightest hint of an interest in watching live sport. There's only one place I'll be taking her.

I agree but I can’t help but think today is just so different for youngsters compared to what we had, and I’m talking about as little as 20yrs ago, We lived and breathed footy, if we weren’t playing it we was listening to it..if we weren’t listening to it we was watching it.. if we wasn’t at a match we was reading shoot or match magazine, it was a way of life.

Now they have so much going on & live life through an iPhone or whatever the whole buzz & passion of football just isn’t there with youngsters.

I seriously doubt my kids will ever feel the passion like I did for QPR as a youngster no matter how many times I take them to LR.

the big IP
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by the big IP » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:25 pm

Yep i try and tell my 10 year old boy about QPR,but living over here is hard, we are coming over in September so we will go to a game then. I tried getting him to play football he tried for a while wasn't getting the buzz now he plays basketball and loves it, he likes trying most sports and generally as kids do they find there own things they like.
Also with having Optus sports over here with every single PL game at the touch of a button and no QPR, all he knows is Kane, Aguero Sanchez etc, he has already asked for a Man City shirt never gonna happen. He can wear PSG, Barca Real Madrid or Bayern but no other English team, his granddad would turn in his grave.
People are so right about kids these days so much more to occupy them, when i was a kid i lived, breathed and ate football. totally different now.

Wegerle
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Wegerle » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:29 pm

So much recognition reading all your posts! Growing up in the seventies and eighties, football was such a big part of life together with Blondie I must add! :D
There has never been a single moment in my life that I have doubted supporting QPR and if I were to have a son or daughter I would damn well try and do my utmost to get them to wear the right hoops!

wrinklyhoop
2010/11 Sponsor
2010/11 Sponsor

Post by wrinklyhoop » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:27 am

Wegerle wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:29 pm
So much recognition reading all your posts! Growing up in the seventies and eighties, football was such a big part of life together with Blondie I must add! :D
There has never been a single moment in my life that I have doubted supporting QPR and if I were to have a son or daughter I would damn well try and do my utmost to get them to wear the right hoops!
... is the correct answer!

W12Allstars
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by W12Allstars » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:40 am

Both my two boys have been “encouraged” to support QPR.

For my oldest who plays a lot of rugby, it’s been easy and he always plays as QPR on fifa and loves telling me when he wins loads of things. Yesterday we beat Barca 4-0 over two legs. We were both delighted!

My 10 year old is much more football mad, and jointly supports QPR and Spurs, which I’m fine with. If I was 10, I’d probably love spurs too at the moment. I’ve enjoyed watching them with him if I’m honest.

However, the main thing I wanted to remind you of, is your own feelings and reaction when you meet a football fan and they tell you they support Preston, Derby, Charlton or good old QPR etc. Personally, they usually already have my ear and my respect andyou know you’ll usually get a good conversation. Introduce me to yet another Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool or even Real fan and I’ve already thought “ yeah, sod off mate”.

That’s reason enough right there!
Far better is it to dare mighty things, than to dwell in the twighlight that knows neither victory nor defeat - T Roosevelt