Three points

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Three points

Post by dm » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:32 pm

No, not those kind of points.

1. Ollie was taught a lesson today. You can't rest on your laurels. Yes, there's a case for not changing a winning team but Boro are a completely different kettle of fish to Burton. I thought Olllie would keep the same line up but it didn't look like he'd done the same kind of homework he'd clearly done on against Burton. Or maybe he did and just got it wrong? Whatever the case, Pullis came out the winner.

2. We need more than a rat. Boro broke though our midfield almost at will and, not for the first time this season, our lack of a physical presence in the middle of the park was exposed. I'm a fan of Scowongoman but they lack height and physicality. Rats are great but sometimes you need a bulldog. Overall the squad is too small and needs beefing up.

3. The striker problem continues. I don't think we can wholly blame Washington today for our zero goals tally. After all, the service to him was dire. That said he's a limited player who seems only to score from few situations. This is a problem that's unlikely to be solved in the short term. I fear we're going to have to live with it for a while.

stainesranger
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Re: Three points

Post by stainesranger » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:41 pm

I’d play Smith. Whenever we’ve looked threatening this season he’s usually been on the pitch. So much better when he came on. It’s like our possession of the ball might have a point to it. Oteh and Washington couldn’t get into the game.

Giorgio
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Giorgio » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:40 pm

stainesranger wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:41 pm
I’d play Smith. Whenever we’ve looked threatening this season he’s usually been on the pitch. So much better when he came on. It’s like our possession of the ball might have a point to it. Oteh and Washington couldn’t get into the game.

..after we came on at least we began winning some header, something that had not happened before...then we was a threat to their defence that has to thank the ref not to pay with a pen on a couple of occasions...and it was a shame when three defenders were holding him, preventing him from jumping and the bloody ref gave the free kick against Smith cos he was trying to break free.....

White Duck
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by White Duck » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:57 pm

Outclassed all over the pitch today.

I said to my brother when the teams were announced that the gulf in quality in the starting eleven and the subs was massive: their striker cost more than all our lot put together.

Boro seem to be a confidence team so the first goal was always going to be massive: thought it was pretty even before that but afterwards they had their tails up and took us to pieces. Traore is a fantastic player when on song and today he was: unstoppable at times.

Can't think any of our lot played well, Robinson perhaps was ok, Freeman did his best to create something, thought Washington did some good things in the 2nd half.

Overall there's no shame in losing to a top team like Middlesbrough when they are on top of their game: how poor did Monk do earlier in the season for them not to be challenging near the top?
Lex Talionis........

sohamranger
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by sohamranger » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:02 pm

White Duck wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:57 pm

I said to my brother when the teams were announced that the gulf in quality in the starting eleven and the subs was massive: their striker cost more than all our lot put together.

Boro seem to be a confidence team so the first goal was always going to be massive: thought it was pretty even before that but afterwards they had their tails up and took us to pieces. Traore is a fantastic player when on song and today he was: unstoppable at times.

Can't think any of our lot played well, Robinson perhaps was ok, Freeman did his best to create something, thought Washington did some good things in the 2nd half.

Overall there's no shame in losing to a top team like Middlesbrough when they are on top of their game: how poor did Monk do earlier in the season for them not to be challenging near the top?
Totally agree

BiscuitRanger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by BiscuitRanger » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:25 pm

Two comments:

When Smith comes on we are usually chasing the game and taking more chances, so it's not surprising we look more attacking.

Undoubtedly 'Boro are a decent team but when we play conservative, safety first football, they can push up, and flood the midfield. Oh, and after looking a class apart, it wouldn't surprise me if they put up a decent effort in the cup tie and then lose at home to Wednesday.
Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out.

Bear-Grills
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Bear-Grills » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:57 pm

White Duck wrote:

I though Scowen looked good
If drink isn't the answer, you were asked the wrong question

WA Hoop
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by WA Hoop » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:10 am

I'm fast coming to the conclusion that, rest assured, Holloway will achieve just about enough to keep his job and not much more.

I still believe this squad has more to offer than the performances they are currently delivering.
Question everything.

White Duck
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by White Duck » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:01 am

Bear-Grills wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:57 pm
White Duck wrote:

I though Scowen looked good
He was involved a lot but I thought he was poor compared to most of his previous games. Luongo also had a bad game IMO.
Lex Talionis........

sohamranger
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by sohamranger » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:07 am

Really don't think we are a bad team at all,the work rate was there..just outplayed and out muscled today by a very strong team. Not sure how Traore isn't playing in the Premiership. ..different class .

. oh for a 20 goal a season striker 🤔

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:31 am

sohamranger wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:07 am
Really don't think we are a bad team at all,the work rate was there..just outplayed and out muscled today by a very strong team. Not sure how Traore isn't playing in the Premiership. ..different class .

. oh for a 20 goal a season striker 🤔
Traore was the best player on the pitch yesterday so I was surprised to discover his goal was the first he's scored for Boro in the 1.5 years he's been there. QPR are often good to opposing players like that.

sohamranger
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by sohamranger » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:41 am

Plus ..it was George Friend's first goal for 2 years.. we certainly are a generous bunch.

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Damien » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:23 pm

We should have enough about us to survive. Expecting to match the best in this league is setting yourself up for disappointment. If we had a decent striker and weren't so shaky at the back... life would probably be a bit easier. On the subject of the defence, we need to look at our defensive coach at the end of this season too. For a team that struggles to score... we are still conceding too many.

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by QPR_John » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:40 pm

Damien wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:23 pm
We should have enough about us to survive. Expecting to match the best in this league is setting yourself up for disappointment. If we had a decent striker and weren't so shaky at the back... life would probably be a bit easier. On the subject of the defence, we need to look at our defensive coach at the end of this season too. For a team that struggles to score... we are still conceding too many.
If we need a decent striker and are shaky at the back it's hardly evidence we have enough to survive

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by UxbridgeR » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:43 am

QPR_John wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:40 pm
If we need a decent striker and are shaky at the back it's hardly evidence we have enough to survive
Perhaps the fact that we're 16th and haven't been in the bottom 3 all season should give us a little hope.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?