Quick question

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

T-Block
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Re: Quick question

Post by T-Block » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:08 pm

It was poor management.Everybody knew Les would go and we trusted in Gallen and Dichio-with a manager better than Wilkinns we may have got away with it.Owners were not convincing-we let Francis drift away.

LP
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by LP » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:50 pm

The main points are covered above. As much as I liked Rufus Brevett, I always thought that losing Clive Wilson (who went on a free to Spurs) was a big loss as well.

Too many players just not good enough. Tony Roberts and Karl Ready had a knack of looking out of their depth whichever division they turned out in for us - or maybe just not quite ready for the first team, the likes of Trevor Challis (vs. Arsenal springs to mind) and Matthew Brazier.

Mark flipping Hateley indeed. Well done Ray, well done.

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:51 pm

Stans left foot wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:02 pm
It was around this time when we hooked up Wilkins old mate Hateley.

I'm 100's years old so remember his dad being the Drogba equivalent of his day, bustling centre forward who must, surely have taught his son all he knew about heading the ball.

Off we trudged to the pre-season @ High Wycombe and Hateley fizzed a storming header just over the bar, WOW just what we need, and then it was downhill - injury after injury and gone....Of course when you listed to Wilkins he basically agrees with everyone / everything that's being said - just like the Fast Show character in the pub.....

In those days the strategy was to buy ex Internationals - didn't matter how bad they were of how old....Chris Wright then got some verbal at a game, picked up his bat and ball and went home.

On the upside, I was in Wolverhampton one Wednesday evening and saw Dichio hit a screamer in from 30 odd yards, but those were lean days....but now, on hearing Sanchez is about to pocket the wrong side of £450K per week, what more can we ever expect? We're never be in that class so bumble along from one disaster to another one failed owners dreams to another and hopefully stay afloat.

Its probably also why I have a frustration with the FA Cup and Naff Cup strategy ( on picking dross and losing ) as at least the chance/sniff of a 4 th Round win lightens the load, ask Wigan supporters.....

Ho Hum... aniwall
That is really bugging me because I swear I watched Hateley against Brentford in a pre season friendly at Griffin Park & he also hit a bullet header just over, I bunked off work at about 11am boss let me go home sick, must have been 17yrs old but that would have been around year 2000, Hateley wouldn’t have been there, I remember Clark Carlisle in the same game the women next to me was druiling over him when he took his shirt off. I swear blind I saw Hateley in the same game unless he came back for a second stint or it was a different friendly and I was younger.

Dichio against Wolves remember it like yesterday, 13yrs old slept round me sisters she had a flat on Clayponds Brentford, listening to the game on a patched up mini radio that I used to carry with me everywhere, highlights was on later that night and I couldn’t wait to see the goal. What a screamer & against a big side.

God how times have changed.

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:54 pm

LP wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:50 pm
The main points are covered above. As much as I liked Rufus Brevett, I always thought that losing Clive Wilson (who went on a free to Spurs) was a big loss as well.

Too many players just not good enough. Tony Roberts and Karl Ready had a knack of looking out of their depth whichever division they turned out in for us - or maybe just not quite ready for the first team, the likes of Trevor Challis (vs. Arsenal springs to mind) and Matthew Brazier.

The only defender we lost that season was Wilson & yet conceded fewer goals, Wilson baffles me because he was mustard & we let him go also we had just finished 8th why wouldn’t he want to stay.

Wilson Pen against Millwall FA Cup what a game that was, that’s when the Cup had magic.

LP
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by LP » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:28 pm

westlondonlalala wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:54 pm
LP wrote:

The only defender we lost that season was Wilson & yet conceded fewer goals, Wilson baffles me because he was mustard & we let him go also we had just finished 8th why wouldn’t he want to stay.

Wilson Pen against Millwall FA Cup what a game that was, that’s when the Cup had magic.
Oh really? Wow, I didn't know that, westlondon, ta!

I seem to remember finding out later that it was in his contract that he could go for free based on service to the club, maybe someone else can confirm?

That was a ballsy penalty indeed. Not only was that when the Cup had magic, that was one of the last times the FA Cup went beyond a 3d round.

Stans left foot
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Stans left foot » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:30 pm

That is really bugging me because I swear I watched Hateley against Brentford in a pre season friendly at Griffin Park & he also hit a bullet header just over, I bunked off work at about 11am boss let me go home sick, must have been 17yrs old but that would have been around year 2000, Hateley wouldn’t have been there, I remember Clark Carlisle in the same game the women next to me was druiling over him when he took his shirt off. I swear blind I saw Hateley in the same game unless he came back for a second stint or it was a different friendly and I was younger.

Dichio against Wolves remember it like yesterday, 13yrs old slept round me sisters she had a flat on Clayponds Brentford, listening to the game on a patched up mini radio that I used to carry with me everywhere, highlights was on later that night and I couldn’t wait to see the goal. What a screamer & against a big side.

God how times have changed.
Thing is La La I well remember the Hateley header, warm summers evening behind the goal ( obviously ) / my son was with me then, been about 12 I guess.

The "Dichio Screamer " I'll never forget either.
I always found Black Country people warm and generous - I was working for Tarmac up at Wolverhampton at the time. There must have been 2 - 3000 of us waiting to get in, the crowd was huge, the police started roughing everyone up for no reason at all, me, dad's kids all behaving OK and then the horses were brought round - madness as firstly we were all well behaved and secondly the game had already started. Got in 15 mins late....why it wasn't delayed I don't know.

The Rangers fans were along the 1/2 way line, buying a ticket in Wolverhampton I was in the Wolves end.

I was the only one to jump up when it screamed in....happy days, jumpers for goalposts....
"Fing Poo Wah" ( your comments are as much interest to me as a dogs fart ).

Stans left foot
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Stans left foot » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:41 pm

sometimes you just have to

7.30 in...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPHiAZ5ogbo

gets better every time......

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:24 pm

Stans left foot wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:41 pm

7.30 in...

Think that was greaves co commentating, a lot of that starting eleven finished 8th in the prem two seasons earlier it’s crazy.

Gallen out for the season against Pompey was gutting I reckon we would have gone straight back up with his goals.

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:10 pm

Great goal, but my main memories of Dichio are of a lazy, sulky-looking, half-arsed R, whose professional career apps. and goal stats hardly burn his name into the record books. Mind you, that over-paid, ear-cupping tosser Hateley made him look like he sweated blood for the shirt.
"There's a blue light/in my best friend's room" -Mazzy Star

Hoop'83
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Hoop'83 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:21 pm

I remember that Brentford preseason game. It was the first time I saw Crouchy play. Is that who you’re thinking of?
@kischmusic

kernowhoop
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by kernowhoop » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:21 am

westlondonlalala wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:24 pm
Stans left foot wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:41 pm

7.30 in...

Think that was greaves co commentating, a lot of that starting eleven finished 8th in the prem two seasons earlier it’s crazy.

Gallen out for the season against Pompey was gutting I reckon we would have gone straight back up with his goals.
The game at Portsmouth was on TV. After that nasty injury, Kevin Gallen did a post-match interview for TV, leaning on something, or someone (another R's player, I think). Can you imagine, today, such a casual attitude to an injury?
It's simple. Score more goals than they do.

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:58 am

Hoop'83 wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:21 pm
I remember that Brentford preseason game. It was the first time I saw Crouchy play. Is that who you’re thinking of?
You could very well be right I do remember crouch in that game but I’ve defo got an image of Hateley tanned skin long hair heading a ball god only knows where or what I was sure it was Brentford but it can’t of been.

The friendly your talking about was it 0-0 by any chance again I’m sure I remember thinking I’ve got in sh*t at work for this.

Stans left foot
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Stans left foot » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:10 am

[/Great goal, but my main memories of Dichio are of a lazy, sulky-looking, half-arsed R, whose professional career apps. and goal stats hardly burn his name into the record books. Mind you, that over-paid, ear-cupping tosser Hateley made him look like he sweated blood for the shirt. quote]

That's right Stainrod's Elbow...he was, what my mother would say : surly :lol:

As for Hateley, yes that cupped ear bollocks.....how irritating was that? For what, just scoring a bloody goal, which after all, was his job. My colleagues don't see me cupping my ear for applause every time I call someone at work.....you don't walk past the end of the train in the station to see the driver cupping his ear at you as you pass for a job well done...

24 carat, copper bottomed Arse. That's the way I'll remember him which is more important than all his ear cupping....

Rbee
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:25 am

LP wrote:
Clive Wilson's departure was a strange one. The previous season QPR manager Gerry Francis offered Wilson a new one year contract which Clive rejected as he wanted a longer deal. Francis leaves QPR to take the Spurs job and the first thing he did was offer Wilson a three year contract!

Francis also released Wilkins at the end of the previous season which was a surprise to most as Raymondo was still playing well. He went to Palace but by the time he came back as player manager he was no longer the player he was.

A strange season indeed. Hateley far more arrogance than talent, homesick Zelic, Osbourne not getting a game, Sinclair was on his best run of form for us and got his first call up in to the England squad. He picked up an injury in training with England and didn't ever get that form back.

At times we played well that season but of course when you are struggling Lady Luck leaves you. I remember us at home leading Spurs 1-0 quite comformably but a bizarre own goal got Spurs back in to the game and we lost 1-2.

I think Richard Thompson owned the club then but was looking to sell so really didn't give Wilkins anything to spend other than the Ferdinand money.

The following season we started well in Division 2 but Gallen did his cruciate (?) and Wilkins walked for non footballing reasons I think?

Stans left foot
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Stans left foot » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:15 pm

Didn't Thompson take his folding up to Hull, citing the way to own a club is to get one with a clearly defined catchment area, Hull, Leeds Newcastle all 1 club towns/city's.

Didn't get him very far, although I suspect he sold up shortly thereafter.