Quick question

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Quick question

Post by westlondonlalala » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:34 pm

The first memory’s I have of watching qpr & going to LR was around the 1994/95 season.

Can anyone tell me why & how we managed to finish 8th in 1994/95 & then get relegated the following season 1995/96.

I understand Ferdinand left for Newcastle but why the drastic downturn in fortunes, I cried my little heart out after the Coventry away result that sent us down, what happened to us in the space of a season?

Trojan
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Re: Quick question

Post by Trojan » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:15 pm

For me, it was letting Ray Wilkins manage the team, should have brought in someone with experience. He wasted the Ferdinand money.
We finished 8th the previous season on a tiny budget - Burnley are the new QPR sick
Sorry in advance.

SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by SheepRanger » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:14 pm

Too much faith in Gallen and Dickio who were only 19 at the time. Bought Mark Hatley from Rangers when he was injured and didn't or couldnt get enough game time to support the two lads.

There was also talk that Wilkins played himself ahead of better players when he was way past his best.

I think we also bought a couple of duds from West Ham was thst with the Ferdinand money? Iain Dowie who hasn't scored in ages and continued that trend. Again, was Richard Orr with that money? Broke his leg on his debut....! Perhaps this was the first season after relegation......?

old pauline
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by old pauline » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:24 pm

Various reasons but the main ones were that Ray Wilkins was useless as a manager (as he has pretty much been throughout his coaching career) and he also spunked the Ferdinand money on the likes of Mark Hateley and the egg that was Ned Zelic. The one good player that he did buy (Simon Osborn) didn't get a game because he put himself in ahead of him.
Come on you Sooopa ........

whittonhoop
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by whittonhoop » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:33 pm

John Mincur was another classy midfielder who we were very interested in, but I think he was reluctant to come as he wouldn’t play ahead of super Ray.

Who was shocking as a manager, but for a couple of years was a great player.

SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by SheepRanger » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:54 pm

And we made it to the Quarter Finals of the FA Cup that season. It makes you wonder whether Holloway has hated the cups ever since!!

Satch
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:53 am

SheepRanger wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:14 pm
Too much faith in Gallen and Dickio who were only 19 at the time. Bought Mark Hatley from Rangers when he was injured and didn't or couldnt get enough game time to support the two lads.

There was also talk that Wilkins played himself ahead of better players when he was way past his best.

I think we also bought a couple of duds from West Ham was thst with the Ferdinand money? Iain Dowie who hasn't scored in ages and continued that trend. Again, was Richard Orr with that money? Broke his leg on his debut....! Perhaps this was the first season after relegation......?
The WHUM duds were all part of the Sinclair transfer, weren't they?

Hoop'83
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Hoop'83 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:37 am

Yup. Richard ord was later. Keith Rowland was the other dud.

That relegation season was my first as a hoop. Terrible time to get on board!
@kischmusic

Chimpo
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by Chimpo » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:55 am

Osborn, Zelic and Hateley wasn't really what everyone thought the Les money would be spent on

Made worse by anyone born before 1960 calling him Tony Hateley. Old man still does it now. Tony would have been worth a go to be fair.

QPR1976
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by QPR1976 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:34 am

SheepRanger wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:54 pm
And we made it to the Quarter Finals of the FA Cup that season. It makes you wonder whether Holloway has hated the cups ever since!!

To be fair, Holloway picked a very strong side in the FA Cup this year, with only 1 change to the team that beat Cardiff.
And he’s hardly the only Manager to treat Cup games as an interferance. Many have fielded weakened teams. The past 22 years of FA Cup matches have been pretty embarrassing. Just 4 wins, ALL at the 2nd attempt in a replay !

QPR1976
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by QPR1976 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:36 am

Chimpo wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:55 am
Osborn, Zelic and Hateley wasn't really what everyone thought the Les money would be spent on

Made worse by anyone born before 1960 calling him Tony Hateley. Old man still does it now. Tony would have been worth a go to be fair.

Tony Hadley would have been an improement of Mark H !
And To Cut A Long Story Short, that’s True.....

SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by SheepRanger » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:49 pm

I seem to remember thinking Gallen was okay at 19, but Dichio was out of his depth in that season.

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:35 pm

I can only put it down to Ferdinand departing we finished 27 points worse off & scored 23 less goals, he was the only notable departure after the 1994/95 season.

It broke my heart when he moved on it broke my heart when he returned in Oct 1995 and stuck a nail in our Coffin, now he’s back and not exactly redeeming himself with his application in his current role!

Crabsandwich
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by Crabsandwich » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:54 pm

A bit simplistic but... 94/95 we finished 8th, scored 61 conceded 59.

We sold Les (24 league goals in 94/95) and replaced him with Hateley (2 league goals in 95/96).

We went down in 95/96 scoring 38 goals, 23 less than the previous season, with the Les for Hateley swap costing us 22 goals.

Funnily enough we conceded two fewer in the relegation season, showing just how important Les's goals were.

Stans left foot
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Stans left foot » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:02 pm

It was around this time when we hooked up Wilkins old mate Hateley.

I'm 100's years old so remember his dad being the Drogba equivalent of his day, bustling centre forward who must, surely have taught his son all he knew about heading the ball.

Off we trudged to the pre-season @ High Wycombe and Hateley fizzed a storming header just over the bar, WOW just what we need, and then it was downhill - injury after injury and gone....Of course when you listed to Wilkins he basically agrees with everyone / everything that's being said - just like the Fast Show character in the pub.....

In those days the strategy was to buy ex Internationals - didn't matter how bad they were of how old....Chris Wright then got some verbal at a game, picked up his bat and ball and went home.

On the upside, I was in Wolverhampton one Wednesday evening and saw Dichio hit a screamer in from 30 odd yards, but those were lean days....but now, on hearing Sanchez is about to pocket the wrong side of £450K per week, what more can we ever expect? We're never be in that class so bumble along from one disaster to another one failed owners dreams to another and hopefully stay afloat.

Its probably also why I have a frustration with the FA Cup and Naff Cup strategy ( on picking dross and losing ) as at least the chance/sniff of a 4 th Round win lightens the load, ask Wigan supporters.....

Ho Hum... aniwall
"Fing Poo Wah" ( your comments are as much interest to me as a dogs fart ).