Quick question

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Re: Quick question

Post by Damien » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:53 pm

Even in that season Wilkins was still our best in the middle. We've never really replaced him. Top player and one of my all timers - but yes he wasn't much lop as a manager.

beaglebum
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by beaglebum » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:21 pm

Personally I blame Richard Thompson. Yes the club was well run (compared to today) and was profit making, but to not really improve the playing staff and sell Darren Peacock/piss off Gerry Francis was a mistake which we've never recovered from. Both down to him I believe.

As for Wilkins, didn't he go after Roberto Baggio? Had he arrived who knows what would've happened. But once again, his appointment was probably the cheaper option for Thompson rather than get a big name manager in. But had Mark Hately come in fully fit and Wilkins not rely on Gallen/Dichio and drop Bradley Allen beforehand, we may have been ok as our side was certainly good enough.

Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:45 pm

It seemed to me at the time that the two prevailing problems that season were Baldikins managerial immaturity and Alan McDonald being injured much of the season. Especially as Darren Peacock was gone.
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

Bear-Grills
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Bear-Grills » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:45 am

beaglebum wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:21 pm
Personally I blame Richard Thompson. Yes the club was well run (compared to today) and was profit making, but to not really improve the playing staff and sell Darren Peacock/piss off Gerry Francis was a mistake which we've never recovered from. Both down to him I believe.

As for Wilkins, didn't he go after Roberto Baggio? Had he arrived who knows what would've happened. But once again, his appointment was probably the cheaper option for Thompson rather than get a big name manager in. But had Mark Hately come in fully fit and Wilkins not rely on Gallen/Dichio and drop Bradley Allen beforehand, we may have been ok as our side was certainly good enough.
^^^^^this^^^^^ - it was the best time in our history to have invested in the playing side and kick on
If drink isn't the answer, you were asked the wrong question

Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:26 pm

Yes indeed - Tossman's leadership was the real main factor. Wonder what he's doing now?
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare