Do we sign a striker this month?

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Do we sign a striker this month?

Post by dm » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:10 pm

It would seem we can now choose from 7 strikers: Smith, Sylla, Washington, Mackie, Oteh, Smyth and Eze. We can debate the quality of these players and even whether one or two might be better suited to a different position, but that's what we have right now.

It's encouraging to see Smyth and Oteh both score on their full debuts but, at 20 and 19 respectively, they're unlikely to play consistently yet. That goes for 19 year old Eze too.

Mackie's spinal injury will keep him out until March if not longer.

Smith, Sylla and Washington we know all about.

So, do we sign a striker this month?

EDITED
Last edited by dm on Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Devonranger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Re: Do we sign a striker this month?

Post by Devonranger » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:27 pm

Depends on the deal and quality of the striker maybe. You've got Mackie in there twice DM, so are we talking about 6 options?

If IH is staying then seems little point keeping Sylla.

Greyhound
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Greyhound » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:29 pm

If we sign anyone at all, and I don't care if we do, it should be a striker. The youngsters are bonuses for this season, and it would be a gamble to rely on Smith, Wash and Syl given their returns so far. So yes, a cheap striker on low wages, who's going to bang them in, yes please.

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:52 pm

I doubt you’ll see Mackie again contract runs out in the summer.

Sylla & CW have a year left on contracts in summer so it’ll be decision time soon weather we’re offering contracts or cashing in on them.

Oteh I believe is a loan from Spurs so he’ll go back.

Smyth & Smith will stay I have no doubt.

Eze isn’t really a striker again might go out on loan or be involved in the first team next season.

As for this season no we don’t need a striker as for the Summer I reckon we will see a fair bit of movement in the striking dept.

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:58 pm

According to the stats I read, Conor's scored 12 goals in 78 games (including 29 sub) - less than one in six. Without wishing to piss on his chips today - when, to his credit, he seems to have actually both performed and scored for the first time in an aeon - for an international striker (even one who works hard and runs around a lot) who seems to need to be frozen out for a few games to get him to perform and get on the scoresheet, that's a Zamora-esque level of lethality. Smyth looks like a thrilling prospect, but I'd see him more as a winger than a central striker. Eze and Oteh are for the future, not likely to be Championship-consistent in the present. Sylla, seemingly the most gifted goalscorer of the lot, seems not have not so much gone off the boil as off the simmer.

So I'd say, uh, yes, we need a striker, who actually strikes. And have done since Charlie was our darling.
"There's a blue light/in my best friend's room" -Mazzy Star

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:03 pm

westlondonlalala wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:52 pm
Oteh is a QPR player contracted until the end of this season. I'd expect his contract to be extended.

SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by SheepRanger » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:24 pm

dm wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:03 pm
westlondonlalala wrote:
Oteh is a QPR player contracted until the end of this season. I'd expect his contract to be extended.
Unless Everton offer us £20k in advance of him being a free agent.

Satch
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:27 pm

westlondonlalala wrote:
I doubt you’ll see Mackie again contract runs out in the summer.

Sylla & CW have a year left on contracts in summer so it’ll be decision time soon weather we’re offering contracts or cashing in on them.

Smyth & Smith will stay I have no doubt.

Eze isn’t really a striker again might go out on loan or be involved in the first team next season.

As for this season no we don’t need a striker as for the Summer I reckon we will see a fair bit of movement in the striking dept.
Oteh is all ours, released by Spurs. He looked better through the middle than i was expecting, assuming he was more of a wide player naturally, from what i'd seen.

I'd keep Sylla, I don't think Washington is as bad as people make out, but i do think he needs to play off a bigger man and i'm not sure that will be part of our future plans.

I agree Eze looks more like an attacking midfielder and I think Smyth looks more like he'd play slightly off a striker.

If we found a promising striker then of course we should go for it but i don't see us being able to afford anyone with proven quality and until we start using people to their strengths then it's not really worth it.

White Duck
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by White Duck » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:18 pm

Unless we get rid of a couple this window I would stick with what we have until the summer: the young lads coming through remove the need for buying IMO.
Lex Talionis........

kernowhoop
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by kernowhoop » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:23 am

The ones that can grab goals out of nothing are few and far between and tend to be expensive.

And, even big name strikers can mis-fire:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/201 ... u-premier/

I have a feeling that - given the service - we have players in the squad that can put the ball in the net. Should we not be working on them and also trying to make more of the opportunities that the midfield players get, but, do not convert often enough?
It's simple. Score more goals than they do.

Satch
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:24 pm

kernowhoop wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:23 am
The ones that can grab goals out of nothing are few and far between and tend to be expensive.

And, even big name strikers can mis-fire:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/201 ... u-premier/

I have a feeling that - given the service - we have players in the squad that can put the ball in the net. Should we not be working on them and also trying to make more of the opportunities that the midfield players get, but, do not convert often enough?
Agreed, this division is full of average strikers who get a few, just look at Leon Clarke. We need to properly get at teams and create chances, most teams in this division have their frailties if you test them. Our strikers aren't world beaters but they aren't regularly missing sitters either. I don't think the midfield can be blamed though. If we create more space and use the flanks better that will give them more time and space to support the attack, rather than having to be the creators as they predominantly are now.

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Damien » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:46 pm

If the chance comes along to sign someone, we should. Of course that means we will need to let someone go. A bit of real experience upfront could be the making of some of our striking options.

notlob66

Post by notlob66 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:12 pm

Matt Smith has scored the most headed goals in the division, and that's without wingers and not playing all games. I know he has limited ability but if we played to his strengths , who knows where it could get us.

Systemsguy
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Systemsguy » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:07 pm

notlob66 wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:12 pm
Matt Smith has scored the most headed goals in the division, and that's without wingers and not playing all games. I know he has limited ability but if we played to his strengths , who knows where it could get us.
oh we have an international class winger it's just he's either playing at wing back or sitting on the bench.... aniwall
2018/2019.... Keep Calm, no matter the season, we'll follow our team.....

SM
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by SM » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:16 am

It’s a difficult one, but I probably wouldn’t sign a striker this month.

Personally speaking, I would have loaned Eze back out and worked with what we have.

Presumably we won’t be buying anyone in January, I don’t see any real options available. And even if we go for a loan, I would rather see Ollie work with the youngsters that he’s bringing through and build for next season.

I know we’ve had a couple of bad runs, but I’ve never believed we would go down with this side. Stick with the youth.
Isle Of Wight R'ssssssssss