Ian Holloway

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

Crabsandwich
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Re: Ian Holloway

Post by Crabsandwich » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:25 pm

n22hoop wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:19 am
But to accept what we're witnessing at the moment and then say it's what we deserve because we're QPR is very very odd. Look around you wegerle, there are plenty of smaller teams doing really well.
There are small/smaller clubs doing well but it's cyclical innit? If any small club was successful for a prolonged period they'd probably end up being a big club. For the rest of us, a few glorious seasons in the sun are what we have to aim for, and having had that (albeit not necessarily all that glorious) fairly recently, it's hard to argue that we should be anywhere other than where we are - a lower to middling Championship side.

Yes we should be ambitious but when you don't have a gigantic pile of money to lavish on the team (Wolves) or a sensible long-term structure that bears fruit (Preston? Brentford?) it's hard to see a way forward. Even money is no guarantee... Birmingham have spent £12m this season, Sheffield Wednesday £15m, Reading £13.5m.

No-one wants to watch us lose every week, and in truth we're a long way from that. We've pulled off some fantastic wins at home against teams expected to beat us. In the past, we might have seen those as great one-off results against bigger clubs, now a good win seems to raise expectation amongst the home support to ridiculous levels. We're not that good on a consistent basis and we shouldn't really expect to be given the money we've spent and the lack of proper process at the core of the club for a number of years.

I've no doubt we'll be seeing plenty more kids coming through the ranks and they'll need our support rather than the usual bleating when we don't win.

Monkey
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by Monkey » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:04 pm

I don’t think a decent coach will help In any way if Ollie keeps insisting on playing the formation we’re playing with the players we’ve got.

And for what it’s worth, I don’t think our strikers are that bad (apart from Smith, I think he’s bad), and if Washington and Sylla were played as part of a 442 they’d get goals.

I would hope that TF and LF are asking questions of Ollie and asking why he keeps persisting with the tactics he’s using when we’re not getting the results.
If you had a million Shakespeares, could they write like a monkey?

Satch
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:18 pm

UxbridgeR wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:52 am
deadendjob wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:25 am
Wegerle wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:42 pm
The thing we really need to let sink in is that we are not and never have been, in any way, a big club, a successful club or a club with a rich, winning history. Pick apart our dna and we are a small family club from West London whose natural habitat is mid-table Championship with the occassional flutter in the highest or a lower division. In our 100 plus year history we have won 1 (one) trophy and not even the top competition. (although at the time a great achievement)
When this reality kicks in and you combine it with our financial status, what exactly do we expect? Of course we would all love to see 11 great players and world class managers but it's not going to happen, not now and perhaps never. There are at least 30 clubs waiting in line before us.
Ian Holloway is the manager we deserve and QPR is the team Holloway deserves. We can keep on changing managers hoping for the impossible but let us just take a moment to reflect who we are. Yes, I also want permanent Premier League status and yes I would love us to win a trophy in my lifetime but for now this is us, this is who we are and where we stand. Holloway gets my support, the players get my support. Support which will only waiver when they don't give their all. We are QPR so I can't ask and I can't expect for anything more than full commitment and the occassional dream of visiting Wembley or a promotion party.
Obviously there are financial constraints, but there are other clubs (Burnley, Bournemouth, Huddersfield, etc), that have had less money, have been less 'successful' than us, yet are better run, have far better managers and have similar stadium sizes (give or take 5k or so). Just because what you're saying is the status quo, doesn't mean we have to be content with the bare minimum.

Oh and why exactly do we deserve Olly? Plenty of managers are passionate, work for minimal pay (not that we're actually aware of Olly's pay pack; we just entertain the idea it's low because he "loves the club") and get better results.The reason he's here and still employed is heavily nostalgic.
Well said DEJ.

There's a lot of truth in what Wegerle says, but what it misses out about our history, at least in my lifetime, is that we were a small club that regularly punched above its weight. Even allowing for the current financial constraints, I don't think you could honestly say that now. Burnley and Huddersfield got to the PL not by spending big, but by appointing young managers who weren't part of the usual managerial merry-go-round, and were able to bring a fresh approach that galvanised their respective clubs. Look at Preston this season, playing some excellent football and on the verge of the play-offs with what I would guess is a much smaller budget than ours.Then imagine the reaction if we had appointed Alex Neil as manager in the summer.

I doubt anyone expected to be battling for promotion this season, but nor should we be happy with "relegation 6-pointers" against Burton Albion or losing to Millwall and MK Dons. For all the perception that things are better under IH, the results during his tenure tell a different story, and until that changes, he'll remain under pressure.
Agreed, let's be realistic but not defeatist. I believe that the team is not playing to the best of it's potential and never has under this tenure. An odd blend of stubbornness over the system mixed with a lack of continuity with players selected hasn't worked well. The limitations of our strike force have caught peoples attention but the system isn't working, we have some decent enough wide players who aren't getting a chance. I still think it makes the most sense to keep IH unless a gem falls into our lap (as would have been the case had we waited a little longer last season, when Rowett became available) until the end of the season.

Unfortunately, though i don't see anything that makes me think he can take this club forward. As Uxbridge says, casting the net across Europe for someone with a strong technical understanding and new ideas would be ideal. I hope the club are already working on a shortlist.

Monkey i agree, i don't think either of those strikers are world beaters but if played consistently in the right set up would have some goals. I like Sylla especially, and think with the right tactics can still be an asset. I agree mostly on Smith although when chasing a game and if we're actually getting balls into the box he has something to offer.

For me I'd play 4-3-3. Keep the central 3 the same and use our wide attackers in positions where they can do some damage.

Stans left foot
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Stans left foot » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:40 pm

well - whilst I agree with most of the sentiments of previous posters of course the one thing IH doesn't have above all else is time. No time to fix injuries and no time to sit on more than 3 or 4 losses before toys go out the pram

this is the crux of it as I'm sure Ramsey et al are busy coaching and developing a good basis for the youngster's coming through but while all that's going on others, like Luton and Brentford can assemble a front line on a shoe-string and outperform most in their respective leagues. Lets scrap what we do and buy in their manager, coach etc....
But hold on we've been trying that for the last 30 odd years.....

I find this board quite constructive, knowledgeable, insightful and informative, not like others ( check out the Stoke one if you need to educate yourself in bad language ) however I thought we had a modicum of agreement in seeing the season through with one manager in Holloway if only to get some stability and Championship retention. I don't think that's at risk, yet, but like most with it being pretty fine I'm not happy with some of the things I have to put up with.

Unlike many I'm not over soft toward Rangers ( I''m and old fart ) so I can spot - or think I can, a dodgy deal. I declined a free ticket for Saturday as I'd rather go shopping with Mrs Stans left Foot than endure what was going to be either - another dodgy crappy Holloway selection, whatever the excuses their might be, or indeed see a 2nd team put out with no interest in the Cup and be just another of the 10,000 suckers who rock up and care. Well I have to say, putting it another way, I simply don't care - if the club and the manager don't care about the FA Cup or any other Cup why should I get hung up about it?

Next year why not simply say we're going to field the U21's from the off, they can't do any worse than the performances thus far over the previous what, 30 odd seasons.

On the back of our Cup performance came a rash of similar ones, and, as the mantra from one of the worlds best defenders ( Alan Hanson ) still ringing in my ears, from the great Bill Shankly down, DONT CHANGE A WINNING SIDE!

still it's easy to manage sitting here in my office chair, never the less, like most I'm still not happy about the progress in the squad, ( Freeman apart the rest have regressed ) and the lack of cohesive team selection and playing style.

Like SM I'm reading Tony's book, and if one thing sticks out it's Tony's management style, loyalty is one thing but success is vital, he maybe cheap and he maybe QPR through and through but that wont get him another season like this methinks...
"Fing Poo Wah" ( your comments are as much interest to me as a dogs fart ).

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:51 pm

I'm surprised in a way that the players play with such spirit and gusto given that the playing style clearly isn't bringing results. They must be frustrated along with us. It seems everybody apart from Holloway can see that the tactics that we have discussed at great length for months are not bearing fruit.

Can Holloway really see something that we are all missing ? He certainly sticks to his guns doesn't he ?

Stans left foot
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Stans left foot » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:29 pm

yes, that's true 222gers,

some times it's a bit like watching a V8 engine running on 4 instead of 6

you know all the parts are there and it should surge away, but simply stutters and miss-fires.

Northolt_Rs
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by Northolt_Rs » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:49 pm

Stans left foot wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:40 pm
well - whilst I agree with most of the sentiments of previous posters of course the one thing IH doesn't have above all else is time. No time to fix injuries and no time to sit on more than 3 or 4 losses before toys go out the pram

this is the crux of it as I'm sure Ramsey et al are busy coaching and developing a good basis for the youngster's coming through but while all that's going on others, like Luton and Brentford can assemble a front line on a shoe-string and outperform most in their respective leagues. Lets scrap what we do and buy in their manager, coach etc....
But hold on we've been trying that for the last 30 odd years.....

I find this board quite constructive, knowledgeable, insightful and informative, not like others ( check out the Stoke one if you need to educate yourself in bad language ) however I thought we had a modicum of agreement in seeing the season through with one manager in Holloway if only to get some stability and Championship retention. I don't think that's at risk, yet, but like most with it being pretty fine I'm not happy with some of the things I have to put up with.

Unlike many I'm not over soft toward Rangers ( I''m and old fart ) so I can spot - or think I can, a dodgy deal. I declined a free ticket for Saturday as I'd rather go shopping with Mrs Stans left Foot than endure what was going to be either - another dodgy crappy Holloway selection, whatever the excuses their might be, or indeed see a 2nd team put out with no interest in the Cup and be just another of the 10,000 suckers who rock up and care. Well I have to say, putting it another way, I simply don't care - if the club and the manager don't care about the FA Cup or any other Cup why should I get hung up about it?

Next year why not simply say we're going to field the U21's from the off, they can't do any worse than the performances thus far over the previous what, 30 odd seasons.

On the back of our Cup performance came a rash of similar ones, and, as the mantra from one of the worlds best defenders ( Alan Hanson ) still ringing in my ears, from the great Bill Shankly down, DONT CHANGE A WINNING SIDE!

still it's easy to manage sitting here in my office chair, never the less, like most I'm still not happy about the progress in the squad, ( Freeman apart the rest have regressed ) and the lack of cohesive team selection and playing style.

Like SM I'm reading Tony's book, and if one thing sticks out it's Tony's management style, loyalty is one thing but success is vital, he maybe cheap and he maybe QPR through and through but that wont get him another season like this methinks...
There were 6,000 of us at the game which included about 2,000 MK fans....so only a puny 4,000 Rs fans showed up for it. I wish I’d come shopping with you and your missus!

Systemsguy
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Systemsguy » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:37 am

Northolt_Rs wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:49 pm
There were 6,000 of us at the game which included about 2,000 MK fans....so only a puny 4,000 Rs fans showed up for it. I wish I’d come shopping with you and your missus!
Ollie moaned about the Ellerslie Road stand being closed which affected the atmosphere....That attendance was the reaction to the Brentford debacle earlier in the season and he helped close it IMO....
2018/2019.... Keep Calm, no matter the season, we'll follow our team.....

Satch
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:46 am

Systemsguy wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:37 am
Northolt_Rs wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:49 pm
Ollie moaned about the Ellerslie Road stand being closed which affected the atmosphere....That attendance was the reaction to the Brentford debacle earlier in the season and he helped close it IMO....
It was the same last year. Seems a poor excuse. I appreciate it probably doesn't help but it's not like we've been on spectacular form with all stands open or this result was a massive surprise.

Stans left foot
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Stans left foot » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:07 pm

Yes exactly

I was truly amazed that, the manager, and I guess with full support of the owners and Board etc happily makes a worse than dross team selection ( against Brentford ) and then clearly expects us as mugs to rock up for an FA cup round.

Worse than very poor and I for one won't forget it as it's simply taking the piss with my and others money and goodwill.

Contrary to that they could have had an initiative of giving seats to local school kids FOC and £1 for adult/parent.

Tony's all over this kind of thing in his book but a severe lack of it when it comes to Rangers. I think the general feeling has been woefully missed ( by the club )

Indeed, next time we'll make up a coach-load and go to Milton Keynes Shopping Centre en-mass with Mrs Stans Left Foot, lets face it it doesn't get any worse than that :roll:
Last edited by Stans left foot on Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by UxbridgeR » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:02 pm

In fairness to Holloway, while he did play weakened sides in last year's FA Cup 3rd Round against Blackburn and as stated against Brentford, this has been the established practice for years now, as far back as when Warnock was in charge.

Had people expected we would play a full-strength side on Saturday, I'm sure the attendance would have been higher, although whether it would have big enough to merit all four stands being open is pretty doubtful.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:13 pm

You could purchase tickets up until kick off in SA rd stand had we of sold that out well in advance of the game then I’m sure they would have opened Ellerslie.

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:08 pm

Do we know how many each stand holds? I was in SA Rd upstairs which seemed packed to the gunwhales. I couldn't see how many in the paddock, but quite in few in the lower Loft. Add on the 1600 from MK and I'm surprised the crowd was given as only just over 6000.

notlob66

Post by notlob66 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:49 pm

It was probably given as 6000 as we have to share the gate money 😜

Greyhound
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Greyhound » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:27 pm

I sit behind a gunwhale and it's f***ing annoying.