Ian Holloway

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

Rbee
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Re: Ian Holloway

Post by Rbee » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:32 pm

White Duck wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:20 pm
There is absolutely no way IMO that McLaren, Clement or any other alleged 'supercoach' would be prepared to work for the money we would pay them or indeed see any benefit for them to do so.
Disagree, some unemployed people out there are just happy to get back out on the grass working with players rather than sit at home waiting for a call.

Also they get to see a whole bunch of professional footballers close up which is always useful for them in the future.

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:48 pm

Paul Clement's career in England has not gone well. I think we could be what he needs, and he could be what we need. The fact his dad played nearly 500 games for QPR might 'sweeten the deal'.

Of course he will probably get better offers, but sometimes it's not about the money or the status.

Whatever, I stick by my belief that Ian Holloway needs help. It doesn't seem like he is getting what he needs from the current coaching staff.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

Wegerle
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Wegerle » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:42 pm

The thing we really need to let sink in is that we are not and never have been, in any way, a big club, a successful club or a club with a rich, winning history. Pick apart our dna and we are a small family club from West London whose natural habitat is mid-table Championship with the occassional flutter in the highest or a lower division. In our 100 plus year history we have won 1 (one) trophy and not even the top competition. (although at the time a great achievement)
When this reality kicks in and you combine it with our financial status, what exactly do we expect? Of course we would all love to see 11 great players and world class managers but it's not going to happen, not now and perhaps never. There are at least 30 clubs waiting in line before us.
Ian Holloway is the manager we deserve and QPR is the team Holloway deserves. We can keep on changing managers hoping for the impossible but let us just take a moment to reflect who we are. Yes, I also want permanent Premier League status and yes I would love us to win a trophy in my lifetime but for now this is us, this is who we are and where we stand. Holloway gets my support, the players get my support. Support which will only waiver when they don't give their all. We are QPR so I can't ask and I can't expect for anything more than full commitment and the occassional dream of visiting Wembley or a promotion party.
Last edited by Wegerle on Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:58 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Rbee
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:48 pm

ZENITH R wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:48 pm
Whatever, I stick by my belief that Ian Holloway needs help. It doesn't seem like he is getting what he needs from the current coaching staff.
Agreed but it won't be Clement coming in.

White Duck
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by White Duck » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:04 pm

Wegerle wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:42 pm
The thing we really need to let sink in is that we are not and never have been, in any way, a big club, a successful club or a club with a rich, winning history. Pick apart our dna and we are a small family club from West London whose natural habitat is mid-table Championship with the occassional flutter in the highest or a lower division. In our 100 plus year history we have won 1 (one) trophy and not even the top competition. (although at the time a great achievement)
When this reality kicks in and you combine it with our financial status, what exactly do we expect? Of course we would all love to see 11 great players and world class managers but it's not going to happen, not now and perhaps never. There are at least 30 clubs waiting in line before us.
Ian Holloway is the manager we deserve and QPR is the team Holloway deserves. We can keep on changing managers hoping for the impossible but let us just take a moment to reflect who we are. Yes, I also want permanent Premier League status and yes I would love us to win a trophy in my lifetime but for now this is us, this is who we are and where we stand. Holloway gets my support, the players get my support. Support which will only waiver when they don't give their all. We are QPR so I can't ask and I can't expect for anything more than full commitment and the occassional dream of visiting Wembley or a promotion party.
Really good post mate. I agree with it all.
Lex Talionis........

Bear-Grills
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Bear-Grills » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:21 pm

White Duck wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:04 pm
Wegerle wrote:
Yep, I often disagree with Wegerle, but he's on the money here...
If drink isn't the answer, you were asked the wrong question

RType
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by RType » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:41 pm

Wegerle wrote:
Yep great post.

How Many times did we hear during the Redknapp / Hughes years from fans: "I don't want farkin bosingwa/park/an other mercenary playing for my club. All I want is players who care"

Well we have players who care. We have a manager who cares. And that is enough for me right now. Some people have short memories.

I definitely agree Holloway could do with some help. Fleming seemed to help when he came on the staff. Not sure how much Birch adds, I'm sorry to say he seems like a holloway-lite type figure.

But I'd always take where we are now to where we were 5 years ago.

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:45 pm

Wegerle wrote:
Do you not class league titles as trophy’s? They are not classed as major trophy’s but achievements and silverware none the less.

And as for your post in general I agree, it’s how I see our club.

From 1995/96 - 2010/11 everybody knew where they stood we had our identity and we all knew our place.

From 2010/11 - Present it’s been nothing but a rollercoaster, the highs the lows & now we are pretty much back where we started 8yrs ago but with a few added money issues.

As long as we have a club to praise or moan about in blue&white hoops that’s all I care about, I really hope our ffp situation doesn’t ruin us.

old pauline
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by old pauline » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:42 pm

White Duck wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:04 pm
Wegerle wrote:
Well said Wegerle
Come on you Sooopa ........

deadendjob
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by deadendjob » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:25 am

Wegerle wrote:
Obviously there are financial constraints, but there are other clubs (Burnley, Bournemouth, Huddersfield, etc), that have had less money, have been less 'successful' than us, yet are better run, have far better managers and have similar stadium sizes (give or take 5k or so). Just because what you're saying is the status quo, doesn't mean we have to be content with the bare minimum.

Oh and why exactly do we deserve Olly? Plenty of managers are passionate, work for minimal pay (not that we're actually aware of Olly's pay pack; we just entertain the idea it's low because he "loves the club") and get better results.The reason he's here and still employed is heavily nostalgic.

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by UxbridgeR » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:52 am

deadendjob wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:25 am
Wegerle wrote:
Obviously there are financial constraints, but there are other clubs (Burnley, Bournemouth, Huddersfield, etc), that have had less money, have been less 'successful' than us, yet are better run, have far better managers and have similar stadium sizes (give or take 5k or so). Just because what you're saying is the status quo, doesn't mean we have to be content with the bare minimum.

Oh and why exactly do we deserve Olly? Plenty of managers are passionate, work for minimal pay (not that we're actually aware of Olly's pay pack; we just entertain the idea it's low because he "loves the club") and get better results.The reason he's here and still employed is heavily nostalgic.
Well said DEJ.

There's a lot of truth in what Wegerle says, but what it misses out about our history, at least in my lifetime, is that we were a small club that regularly punched above its weight. Even allowing for the current financial constraints, I don't think you could honestly say that now. Burnley and Huddersfield got to the PL not by spending big, but by appointing young managers who weren't part of the usual managerial merry-go-round, and were able to bring a fresh approach that galvanised their respective clubs. Look at Preston this season, playing some excellent football and on the verge of the play-offs with what I would guess is a much smaller budget than ours.Then imagine the reaction if we had appointed Alex Neil as manager in the summer.

I doubt anyone expected to be battling for promotion this season, but nor should we be happy with "relegation 6-pointers" against Burton Albion or losing to Millwall and MK Dons. For all the perception that things are better under IH, the results during his tenure tell a different story, and until that changes, he'll remain under pressure.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

n22hoop
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by n22hoop » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:19 am

Wegerle wrote:

If this is the extent of your ambition for QPR then you've forgotten the reason you leave the house on a Saturday afternoon. It's just become a habit for you. You're on auto pilot.

I don't think any one of us thinks permanent Premier league status is realistic. We are, afterall, a small 'family' club as you say (not sure what's meant by family, surely all clubs are happy for families to attend?). But to accept what we're witnessing at the moment and then say it's what we deserve because we're QPR is very very odd. Look around you wegerle, there are plenty of smaller teams doing really well.

I've no problem with the QPR players, they'll always get my support. It's the manager I have the issue with. And his failings & lack of technical/tactical depth are masked by high profile wins (Wolves, the Blades & Cardiff). I'd like him & Bircham removed from their posts and replaced with someone who can inject a little consistency into our performances. At this level it isn't really about motivation and that is what Ian Holloway sells himself on. So often this season (and last) we just haven't turned up at games and have looked ill-prepared and/or lacking a plan b. For a manager with so much experience that is unacceptable and is suggestive of other issues.

It isn't rocket science and you don't have to unravel the DNA of the club to try and make our predicament unique. It's just poor management.
"Football is the love of form. A spectacle that scarcely leaves a trace in the memory and does not enrich or impoverish knowledge. This is its appeal : it is exciting and empty." Mario Vargas Llosa

Wegerle
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Wegerle » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:10 am

I am not saying we can't be ambitious and I am not saying we shouldn't aim for the stars and do our utmost to attract the best managers and the best players. The point I am trying to make is that we have no devine right demanding better players or managers. Yes, we have beena Burnley, we have been a Bournemouth and it is possible to punch above your weight for a while. It's just that we can't go on firing every manager that doesn't get us promoted in an instance. We are not a Premier League club by right.
I'm more than happy to stay in the Championship for a while and gradually see if the club can be built up again so we might have a period of success to follow.

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by QPR_John » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:43 am

Wegerle wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:10 am
I am not saying we can't be ambitious and I am not saying we shouldn't aim for the stars and do our utmost to attract the best managers and the best players. The point I am trying to make is that we have no devine right demanding better players or managers. Yes, we have beena Burnley, we have been a Bournemouth and it is possible to punch above your weight for a while. It's just that we can't go on firing every manager that doesn't get us promoted in an instance. We are not a Premier League club by right.
I'm more than happy to stay in the Championship for a while and gradually see if the club can be built up again so we might have a period of success to follow.
But that is the point a lot of people are worried we may not stay in the Championship.

stainesranger
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by stainesranger » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:25 am

I think we will stay in the championship. I think that’s an achievement given the current climate at the club. I also think there’s passion (and a bit of skill) on show at the club at the moment. Young players coming through. It’s a hard league and we’ve got no god given right to stay in it. We’re earning that right. For a long time, I think most people wanted a team that put in the effort even if they were cheaper and less technically gifted. We’ve got what we wished for. I often hear it said that it’s much easier to get behind this lot than the Hughes and Redknapp era squads. I agree with that. We’ve got an approximation of our Rangers back and I’m happy with that.

When it starts to look like we will go down (or we do go down), then I’d agree that Ollie’s time is up and we should look elsewhere. For the time being I reckon we should see where this can go. He might even surprise us.