Scowen brainstorm

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Scowen brainstorm

Post by stainrod's elbow » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:17 pm

After watching Scowen's aberration today, I can only conclude he suffered a partial seizure or was paid to throw the game. I'd really like to hear his explanation for what happened, but I'm sure we won't. Just to rub our noses in it, their League One striker finished with an aplomb you'd have to watch 100 of our games to see (Smyth's Roy of the Rovers stuff last time out notwithstanding). For, wouldn't you just know it, ladies and gents, it was his first goal ever in English football!

The way I feel tonight, there's maybe three players I wouldn't want to listen to offers on in this window - Smyth, Freeman and Hall. After that, it'd be varying degrees of meh!

The miserly 70 seconds or so of BBC 'highlights' tells its own story to me of our day. We now need, again, a big performance and a result v Burton. I tend to agree with others here we also need a new system. Whether we need a new manager - I'll just say that Ollie, Fleming and Birch really have to earn their cornflakes from here on in. Though I'd quite like to see or hear nothing from the lot of them for a while.
Last edited by stainrod's elbow on Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There's a blue light/in my best friend's room" -Mazzy Star

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Re: Scowen brainstorm

Post by 222gers » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:26 pm

There's none so blind as they that will not see, the old saying goes. Holloway will seemingly never drop his plan of wingbacks but not wingers and shovelling long balls up to Smith in vain hope that he will jump high enough so that the ball will bounce off his head. Another old saying - in the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king, may have to apply to us.

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:33 pm

I like Ian, but it's true that his approach seems more and more one-eyed, just as you say. Any more of this, and he'll turn into a Cyclops!

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:57 pm

stainrod's elbow wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:17 pm
After watching Scowen's aberration today, I can only conclude he suffered a partial seizure or was paid to throw the game. I'd really like to hear his explanation for what happened, but I'm sure we won't. Just to rub our noses in it, their League One striker finished with an aplomb you'd have to watch 100 of our games to see (Smyth's Roy of the Rovers stuff last time out notwithstanding). For, wouldn't you just know it, ladies and gents, it was his first goal ever in English football!

The way I feel tonight, there's maybe three players I wouldn't want to listen to offers on in this window - Smyth, Freeman and Hall. After that, it'd be varying degrees of meh!

The miserly 70 seconds or so of BBC 'highlights' tells its own story to me of our day. We now need, again, a big performance and a result v Burton. I tend to agree with others here we also need a new system. Whether we need a new manager - I'll just say that Ollie, Fleming and Birch really have to earn their cornflakes from here on in. Though I'd quite like to see or hear nothing from the lot of them for a while.
Throw the game Jesus that’s low.

Central midfielder not striker.

The fact you don’t include Scowen in that list proves you have a very limited footballing brain, he was by far the best player on the pitch today he is absolutely f’n class, he covered more grass with and without the ball than our whole side put together, his box to box running with the ball is a joy to watch nobody can get near him, he cleared up our individual mistakes all over the pitch and has done all season, he made one cock up trying to keep a shit pass in the field of play, Ned makes two a game let alone one a season.
Scowen would be by far the hardest player to replace on that pitch if we sold him, freeman is class but we have 10+ attack minded midfielders, Scowen is one of a kind in that team he’s work rate and authority on a game would be impossible to replace unless you spent a fortune.

Rbee
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:16 pm

Here are the highlights to enjoy once more.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42519653

I wouldn't say Scowen was entirely to blame, Hall is just as much to blame for the pass and then terrible, terrible defending.

Scowen was off balance chasing the pass, next time he will kick it away for a throw in. Hall committed himself instead of standing tall and showing the player down the outside. I actually blame him more than Scowen.

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:48 am

OK - I'd keep Scowen, and he probably didn't throw the game, so that makes four. Woo hoo. (You seem unaware that my tongue may have been a touch in my cheek.) Though I stand by saying that a mistake like that might question some of us to question his football brain, rather than mine, which, unlike me, he's paid handsomely and supposedly trained professionally to use.

What's surely clear is that this club has a lot of growing up, developing, evolving - call it what you will - still to do!

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:03 am

Sorry I forgot Smithies.

So, let's keep Smithies, Smyth, Hall, Freeman and Scowen the engine. Maybe Baptiste for his experience. And Eze Chair, for the future. Can't say fairer than that.

Smith - miss, miss, miss, miss, hit, miss miss miss, hit, miss miss miss etc.
Sylla - impact sub at best, and not even that anymore, it seems
Ned - clearly past his best, prone to blunders, not the future of QPR
Lynch - mediocre, clumsy, not good enough with the ball or without it
Washington - (not) punching above his weight, seemingly now being eased out
Perch - injury-prone, sometimes good but then gormless, meh
Mackie - thanks and bysee bye
Cousins - getting played out of position, but just hasn't done it when he's actually been fit
Borysiuk - forgotten man, so cut losses on both sides
JET - all engines stalled, for the love of god, go
Bidwell - unconvincing, precious little quality going forwards, works hard, but that's about it

And so it goes on . . .

Stans left foot
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Stans left foot » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:40 am

So there you are aged what, 6 or 7 around the park and your mate says " hit it out the park" when your playing 3 and In and you lose possession and they look like they're about to score, so put it out of range " you go get it ".

By the time you get to big school, aged 12 or 13 even your PE teacher tells you when your team is pulled around and disorganized during a phase of offensive play, if you recover possession and with no where to go "Row Z"

So you get pretty good at football, sign up for professional terms go through all the different Under 18, 21 and reserve teams, get into a first 11 and the chance presents itself, that one moment when, even the most basic player can do what's required, the crowd are shouting "Row Z" and what do you do.....

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

put it on a plate to some-one who's never scored before and let him have a go..... :roll:
"Fing Poo Wah" ( your comments are as much interest to me as a dogs fart ).

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:07 am

Scowens trademark is keeping the ball alive, looking after the ball in possession & wining the ball back when we don’t have it, he is pretty excellent at all three.

In his defence that poor pass to him yesterday most players would have been to bloody lazy to even attempt keeping it in, but good old josh gets to it somehow & then like a Numpty tries to keep it in, suicidle attempt but he’s human & I have no doubt in that position again he’ll either let it go or smash it into the stands.

As for coaching kids Stan you’ve hit the nail on the head it’s all about possession possession possession, I’ve taken my nephew training a few times & I refuse to go anymore, they have training drills teaching the Centre Backs how to bring the ball out and start attack’s they have drills with three defenders in a triangle keeping possession in defence passing and making space around an attacker. The coaches need shooting just look at Jon Stones FFS anyway I won’t keep on about it but that’s today’s game row Z doesn’t exist anymore & defenders are the new creative midfielders!

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:51 am

Actually after watching the replay of Scowen’s howler it was bad so very bad, live at the game I thought he had just touched it to keep it in but on a second look it looks like he tried to pass the ball back to I can only assume Smithies or maybe a qpr defender but as he was on the stretch & off balance he got little to no power on it, silly silly mistake but hey if Ned is aloud one per game then I’m sure we can forgive Scowen for that one.

Lee Gib
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by Lee Gib » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:57 am

stainrod's elbow wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:03 am
Sorry I forgot Smithies.

So, let's keep Smithies, Smyth, Hall, Freeman and Scowen the engine. Maybe Baptiste for his experience. And Eze Chair, for the future. Can't say fairer than that.
So you want to keep Smyth after two games, Eze after one (in which he did nothing), Chair after what about 3 or 4? and bin Luongo and Manning?

SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by SheepRanger » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:20 pm

He said at the start of the season we would find one way of playing and stick to it. Even though this is far from perfect, perhaps as a man who has been involved in football all his life, he realises the alternatives are worse with the personnel we have.

As the saying does, if you try and jump to the other field you might catch your balls on the barbwire.

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:57 pm

SheepRanger wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:20 pm
He said at the start of the season we would find one way of playing and stick to it. Even though this is far from perfect, perhaps as a man who has been involved in football all his life, he realises the alternatives are worse with the personnel we have.

As the saying does, if you try and jump to the other field you might catch your balls on the barbwire.
I think I can safely say that isn’t a traditional saying, that is a Sheep special.

And why on earth would your bollox be exposed when jumping the fence :lol:

T-Block
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by T-Block » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:18 pm

No coach any where will say you sometimes have to just get rid.But it is the very,very,very last option.

Modern football theory is about teams getting technically better WITH the ball.If you follow that route occassionally errors will happen -the counter view is that you will score more goals with possession and let less in.

So to simplify you can go (1) old school long ball get it forward asap from the back or (2) build (overtime) not overnight an intricate passing game.

For me the best part of Holloways return have been the technical aspect of playing small triangles on the wings and pass their way around the opposition,getting in to the box with a man on the ball.

Saturday was one of those one step back games.However I still see progress and will continue to support Holloway and not give in to the general level of miserable-bastard whining football fans go in for.We could as easily won 3-1.

Rome was not built in a day,and neither will this football team

Northolt_Rs
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by Northolt_Rs » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:00 pm

stainrod's elbow wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:17 pm

Not having that mate. Scowen made a mistake for sure....but up near the half way line FFS!!! Defence had plenty of time to stop the guy walking in to the box to pick his spot. Awful defending yet again.... point the finger at the defenders who backed off rather than Scowen who has been one of our very few bright lights in this dim dismal season.