Transfer Rumour Thread: Jan 2018

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

Post Reply
Satch
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger
Posts: 3321
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:34 am
Location: New York City

Re: Transfer Rumour Thread: Jan 2018

Post by Satch » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:24 am

Rbee wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:18 pm
Agree on Borough Market dm and I think the competition around there pushes quality up, Harrods and Fortnums have no competition so get lazy I think. Both had very good looking sandwich making departments but I am not paying their prices.

Lala, you are spending £15 a week on meal deals? Get a decent loaf for £1.50, pack of butter and make your own! Don't count me in your 'other half!' Being a Londoner you are going to pop into Harrods and Fortnums for a nose, people watch and occasionally buy something. I no longer live in London so no longer have the time or desire to visit such places. Harrods sales were often excellent, posh shower gels and smellies etc for peanuts, not anymore. Last time I was in Harrods, again about seven years ago, Marcel Desailly was in there buying watches and jewellery. Michael Caine was wandering around the food hall.

To keep this 'on topic' I did ask Desailly if he had ever considered signing for the superhoops.
Historically Harrods sandwiches were flipping abysmal, other preprepared food was better and produce good quality. (i used to work there, rather than having especially expensive lunchtime tastes)

User avatar
dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007
Posts: 12594
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:21 pm
Location: Just over the border...

Re: Transfer Rumour Thread: Jan 2018

Post by dm » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:51 am

westlondonlalala wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:43 pm
How the other half live :(

There’s me everyday eating my £3 Tesco meal deal.

One day just one day i might get to the promised land & get a M&S Sarnie
I can assure you I'm not in 'the other half'. I've walked through Borough Market a couple of times a week for years and know it well, occasionally treating myself, family and friends to something for a special meal. And, I must confess, perhaps a little more than occasionally to a couple of bottles of ale from Utobeer.

Satch
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger
Posts: 3321
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:34 am
Location: New York City

Re: Transfer Rumour Thread: Jan 2018

Post by Satch » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:14 am

I've not been properly since i moved but i used to live near borough market. It was a great for a while but in the end just became far too crowded to be worth the hassle. Maltby street market was quite nice when i visited, made up of vendors who'd been priced out of their pitches from what i understand. A good starting point for a brewery crawl, although the high point Kernel has had to close it's taproom due excessive demand.

I think the tangent this thread has taken is a pretty accurate indicator of this transfer window.

User avatar
n22hoop
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger
Posts: 1389
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:09 am
Location: bounds green

Re: Transfer Rumour Thread: Jan 2018

Post by n22hoop » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:00 pm

Satch wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:14 am
I've not been properly since i moved but i used to live near borough market. It was a great for a while but in the end just became far too crowded to be worth the hassle. Maltby street market was quite nice when i visited, made up of vendors who'd been priced out of their pitches from what i understand. A good starting point for a brewery crawl, although the high point Kernel has had to close it's taproom due excessive demand.

I think the tangent this thread has taken is a pretty accurate indicator of this transfer window.
Some of my most memorable beer drinking experiences have involved Kernel. The stuff is ace. I discovered their beers many moons ago whilst visiting the Holborn Whippet.
"Football is the love of form. A spectacle that scarcely leaves a trace in the memory and does not enrich or impoverish knowledge. This is its appeal : it is exciting and empty." Mario Vargas Llosa

User avatar
qprhoops81
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger
Posts: 1113
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:09 pm
Location: Buckland

Re: Transfer Rumour Thread: Jan 2018

Post by qprhoops81 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:33 pm

Not a rumour per say but i see marcus edwards at spurs has been made avaliable for loan. Amazing young talent and can play the number 10 role. Very skillfull (though bit of an attitude which is why he hasnt played for spurs) would be exciting to watch. Tearing it up for their reserves.
Image
The problem with quotations on the internet is, you don't know whether they're accurate. - Abraham Lincoln

User avatar
qprhoops81
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger
Posts: 1113
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:09 pm
Location: Buckland

Re: Transfer Rumour Thread: Jan 2018

Post by qprhoops81 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:51 pm

qprhoops81 wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:33 pm
Not a rumour per say but i see marcus edwards at spurs has been made avaliable for loan. Amazing young talent and can play the number 10 role. Very skillfull (though bit of an attitude which is why he hasnt played for spurs) would be exciting to watch. Tearing it up for their reserves.
Bit on why he hasnt played for spurs

Marcus Edwards turned 19 on Sunday and it brought to an end a tough and pretty much wasted year for him at Tottenham Hotspur.

At the same age, Dele Alli had 62 first team matches under his belt at MK Dons and had sealed a move to Spurs and the big time. While 19, he became a Premier League sensation, was named the PFA Young Player of the Year and made his senior England debut.

Unfortunately at 19, Edwards has just 15 minutes of first team action to his name - coming off the bench against Gillingham in the League Cup in September last year.

It should have been so different. The teenager has sublime technique and dribbling ability and his set pieces are as dangerous as they come. So enamoured with the young midfielder was Pochettino while watching him in youth matches that he uttered those words that have stuck to Edwards like a lead weight ever since.

"The qualities - it's only looks, his body and the way that he plays - remind me a little bit from the beginning of Messi," he uttered, with the Spurs press officer beside him dropping his head in his hands as he knew what the press would do with that comment.

Pochettino didn't stop there, adding the following month: "Maybe if Marcus Edwards were born in Brazil or Argentina, today he would be one of the most interesting prospects in football in the world."

If the Argentine bigs up a young player and dishes out such a lofty comparison, you sit up and listen. His reputation for bringing through and developing young players into stars is up there with the best in the world. The England team has clearly benefited greatly from his work with homegrown academy players who were played when he felt they were ready rather than letting their age dictate that they weren't old enough.

However, using that same reputation as a reference point, when Pochettino refuses to let a young player make the move up to the first team - especially one he's previously raved about - and picks others ahead of him, it's a clear signal that something has gone wrong and the manager is not best pleased.

"Maybe I made a mistake [comparing him to Messi] because I believed it was positive and he was going to take it in a positive way," the Spurs boss admitted on Tuesday.

There was more than a touch of misfortune for Edwards with an ankle injury keeping him out for months after that cameo against Gillingham in 2016 and interrupting his progress.

However, the one thing that was and still is in the teenager's hands is his work rate and attitude, tracking back, tackling and helping out others. The desire to work hard in every single training session and match, whatever the age group, is what separates your Harry Kanes and Harry Winks from your Ravel Morrisons and Adel Tarrabts.

Often the most gifted young players can be overtaken in the game and left behind by those with less natural talent but far more determination. Sometimes you get a combination of the two and you end up with a Messi or a Ronaldo.

It was telling that during Pochettino's press conference on Tuesday football.london asked him four questions in a row about Kazaiah Sterling, Luke Amos, Marcus Edwards and Georges-Kevin Nkoudou. In three of the answers, the Tottenham manager spoke about good behaviour and great attitude. No prizes for guessing the one player who didn't get that accolade.

That is why Sterling and Amos have been promoted ahead of Edwards and by the end of Wednesday evening the former in particular has a good chance of being able to say he's played in the Champions League. It's no coincidence that Sterling and Amos are two of the hardest working players on the pitch in development squad matches.

Pochettino was asked directly about Edwards' attitude and whether it was letting him down. He did not take the opportunity to reject the notion.

"No I’m not going to talk about that. It’s about performance," he said. "Of course he needs to work hard like different players that we have in the academy, and wait for the opportunity. It’s never easy, the last step, to join the first team from the academy."

Pochettino recently acknowledged Edwards' "behavourial issues and problems with authority" in his book and it's clear that no player will ever get promoted into his first team if he doesn't work hard for his team-mates, however talented he is.

To allow such a player to enter the ranks would destroy the whole ethos the Argentine has created at the club. For Pochettino the collective is the most important thing. Dele Alli will throw the odd tantrum on the pitch, but ultimately he will give his all for any of his team-mates. None of Spurs' first team players see themselves as more important than any of their team-mates, regardless of their goals, assists, clean sheets, sponsorship deals or transfer market value.

If Marcus Edwards is to join them - if he truly wants to - then he's going to have to increase his work ethic to equal the rest of his qualities. His star has dropped right now, despite the three-year professional deal he was handed in the summer by the club after much wrangling.

Within the walls of Hotspur Way, he is no more acknowledged as the most promising youngster within the development squad. That honour arguably falls upon Oliver Skipp, a defensive midfielder who only recently turned 17 yet has been bossing far older midfielders for the last year in U19 and U23 matches. He has wonderful technique, anticipation, can read the game and yes, you guessed it, never stops running for the team, whether it's a match or a training session.

All is not lost for Edwards though. Far from it. If he responds to this latest setback and comes back stronger and with renewed application he will get his chance. Pochettino is just waiting for the teenager to show him that he's more than just a luxury player who will beat two men and then run into a third and that he's someone who can run a game rather than dazzle occasionally from its pheriphery.

The last time Pochettino spoke about how Edwards had stagnated and wasn't ready - before the Carabao Cup tie with Barnsley - the teenage midfielder responded with a stinker of a display for the U23s later that night. He barely moved for the ball unless it was played to his feet and from the outside he appeared to be in a bit of a strop.

Edwards will take to the field tomorrow against Apoel Nicosia, but it will be for the U19s at Hotspur Way not for the first team at Wembley. His best displays this season have come in the UEFA Youth League, often when the matches have been televised. Tomorrow's match is not being shown on BT Sport - will he provide the same amount of effort and determined attitude without the cameras present?

If he does or doesn't, Pochettino will find out about it. The Spurs boss and academy head John McDermott share a strong relationship and are close allies, often spending afternoons chatting in each other's offices at the training complex in Enfield. If Edwards is not impressing McDermott, he certainly won't be impressing Pochettino.

The next six months are likely to be crucial in the development of Edwards. If he continues down the path where his performances and application don't match his talent then his career could be destined for the lower leagues. The Premier League always proves to be no permanent home for those without work ethic.

If Marcus Edwards gets his head down and realises he's got a fan in Pochettino but one who wants him to be so much more, then he could genuinely prove to be one of the most exciting prospects the English game has seen.
Image
The problem with quotations on the internet is, you don't know whether they're accurate. - Abraham Lincoln

User avatar
deadendjob
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 5141
Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 2:56 pm
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

Re: Transfer Rumour Thread: Jan 2018

Post by deadendjob » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:24 pm

Sounds like Ravel.
Image

User avatar
dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007
Posts: 12594
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:21 pm
Location: Just over the border...

Re: Transfer Rumour Thread: Jan 2018

Post by dm » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:31 pm

A rumour of a different kind though one we're talking about: "QPR ‘cull’ set to continue this week" http://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/foot ... l-15012017

User avatar
222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger
Posts: 4217
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:55 pm
Location: LONDON

Re: Transfer Rumour Thread: Jan 2018

Post by 222gers » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:47 pm

qprhoops81 wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:51 pm
qprhoops81 wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:33 pm
Not a rumour per say but i see marcus edwards at spurs has been made avaliable for loan. Amazing young talent and can play the number 10 role. Very skillfull (though bit of an attitude which is why he hasnt played for spurs) would be exciting to watch. Tearing it up for their reserves.
Bit on why he hasnt played for spurs

Marcus Edwards turned 19 on Sunday and it brought to an end a tough and pretty much wasted year for him at Tottenham Hotspur.

At the same age, Dele Alli had 62 first team matches under his belt at MK Dons and had sealed a move to Spurs and the big time. While 19, he became a Premier League sensation, was named the PFA Young Player of the Year and made his senior England debut.

Unfortunately at 19, Edwards has just 15 minutes of first team action to his name - coming off the bench against Gillingham in the League Cup in September last year.

It should have been so different. The teenager has sublime technique and dribbling ability and his set pieces are as dangerous as they come. So enamoured with the young midfielder was Pochettino while watching him in youth matches that he uttered those words that have stuck to Edwards like a lead weight ever since.

"The qualities - it's only looks, his body and the way that he plays - remind me a little bit from the beginning of Messi," he uttered, with the Spurs press officer beside him dropping his head in his hands as he knew what the press would do with that comment.

Pochettino didn't stop there, adding the following month: "Maybe if Marcus Edwards were born in Brazil or Argentina, today he would be one of the most interesting prospects in football in the world."

If the Argentine bigs up a young player and dishes out such a lofty comparison, you sit up and listen. His reputation for bringing through and developing young players into stars is up there with the best in the world. The England team has clearly benefited greatly from his work with homegrown academy players who were played when he felt they were ready rather than letting their age dictate that they weren't old enough.

However, using that same reputation as a reference point, when Pochettino refuses to let a young player make the move up to the first team - especially one he's previously raved about - and picks others ahead of him, it's a clear signal that something has gone wrong and the manager is not best pleased.

"Maybe I made a mistake [comparing him to Messi] because I believed it was positive and he was going to take it in a positive way," the Spurs boss admitted on Tuesday.

There was more than a touch of misfortune for Edwards with an ankle injury keeping him out for months after that cameo against Gillingham in 2016 and interrupting his progress.

However, the one thing that was and still is in the teenager's hands is his work rate and attitude, tracking back, tackling and helping out others. The desire to work hard in every single training session and match, whatever the age group, is what separates your Harry Kanes and Harry Winks from your Ravel Morrisons and Adel Tarrabts.

Often the most gifted young players can be overtaken in the game and left behind by those with less natural talent but far more determination. Sometimes you get a combination of the two and you end up with a Messi or a Ronaldo.

It was telling that during Pochettino's press conference on Tuesday football.london asked him four questions in a row about Kazaiah Sterling, Luke Amos, Marcus Edwards and Georges-Kevin Nkoudou. In three of the answers, the Tottenham manager spoke about good behaviour and great attitude. No prizes for guessing the one player who didn't get that accolade.

That is why Sterling and Amos have been promoted ahead of Edwards and by the end of Wednesday evening the former in particular has a good chance of being able to say he's played in the Champions League. It's no coincidence that Sterling and Amos are two of the hardest working players on the pitch in development squad matches.

Pochettino was asked directly about Edwards' attitude and whether it was letting him down. He did not take the opportunity to reject the notion.

"No I’m not going to talk about that. It’s about performance," he said. "Of course he needs to work hard like different players that we have in the academy, and wait for the opportunity. It’s never easy, the last step, to join the first team from the academy."

Pochettino recently acknowledged Edwards' "behavourial issues and problems with authority" in his book and it's clear that no player will ever get promoted into his first team if he doesn't work hard for his team-mates, however talented he is.

To allow such a player to enter the ranks would destroy the whole ethos the Argentine has created at the club. For Pochettino the collective is the most important thing. Dele Alli will throw the odd tantrum on the pitch, but ultimately he will give his all for any of his team-mates. None of Spurs' first team players see themselves as more important than any of their team-mates, regardless of their goals, assists, clean sheets, sponsorship deals or transfer market value.

If Marcus Edwards is to join them - if he truly wants to - then he's going to have to increase his work ethic to equal the rest of his qualities. His star has dropped right now, despite the three-year professional deal he was handed in the summer by the club after much wrangling.

Within the walls of Hotspur Way, he is no more acknowledged as the most promising youngster within the development squad. That honour arguably falls upon Oliver Skipp, a defensive midfielder who only recently turned 17 yet has been bossing far older midfielders for the last year in U19 and U23 matches. He has wonderful technique, anticipation, can read the game and yes, you guessed it, never stops running for the team, whether it's a match or a training session.

All is not lost for Edwards though. Far from it. If he responds to this latest setback and comes back stronger and with renewed application he will get his chance. Pochettino is just waiting for the teenager to show him that he's more than just a luxury player who will beat two men and then run into a third and that he's someone who can run a game rather than dazzle occasionally from its pheriphery.

The last time Pochettino spoke about how Edwards had stagnated and wasn't ready - before the Carabao Cup tie with Barnsley - the teenage midfielder responded with a stinker of a display for the U23s later that night. He barely moved for the ball unless it was played to his feet and from the outside he appeared to be in a bit of a strop.

Edwards will take to the field tomorrow against Apoel Nicosia, but it will be for the U19s at Hotspur Way not for the first team at Wembley. His best displays this season have come in the UEFA Youth League, often when the matches have been televised. Tomorrow's match is not being shown on BT Sport - will he provide the same amount of effort and determined attitude without the cameras present?

If he does or doesn't, Pochettino will find out about it. The Spurs boss and academy head John McDermott share a strong relationship and are close allies, often spending afternoons chatting in each other's offices at the training complex in Enfield. If Edwards is not impressing McDermott, he certainly won't be impressing Pochettino.

The next six months are likely to be crucial in the development of Edwards. If he continues down the path where his performances and application don't match his talent then his career could be destined for the lower leagues. The Premier League always proves to be no permanent home for those without work ethic.

If Marcus Edwards gets his head down and realises he's got a fan in Pochettino but one who wants him to be so much more, then he could genuinely prove to be one of the most exciting prospects the English game has seen.
No more players with” attitude” problems please.

User avatar
SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor
Posts: 7324
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:09 pm
Location: Swine Down

Re: Transfer Rumour Thread: Jan 2018

Post by SheepRanger » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:47 pm

dm wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:31 pm
A rumour of a different kind though one we're talking about: "QPR ‘cull’ set to continue this week" http://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/foot ... l-15012017
Yes, still far to many players. Don't most clubs have about 25 players in the first team squad?

User avatar
222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger
Posts: 4217
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:55 pm
Location: LONDON

Re: Transfer Rumour Thread: Jan 2018

Post by 222gers » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:51 pm

SheepRanger wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:47 pm
dm wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:31 pm
A rumour of a different kind though one we're talking about: "QPR ‘cull’ set to continue this week" http://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/foot ... l-15012017
Yes, still far to many players. Don't most clubs have about 25 players in the first team squad?
“Because they're in the way” doesn't sound very fair. Perhaps he meant “ because they're on the way”.

User avatar
SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor
Posts: 7324
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:09 pm
Location: Swine Down

Re: Transfer Rumour Thread: Jan 2018

Post by SheepRanger » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:56 pm

222gers wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:51 pm
SheepRanger wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:47 pm
dm wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:31 pm
A rumour of a different kind though one we're talking about: "QPR ‘cull’ set to continue this week" http://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/foot ... l-15012017
Yes, still far to many players. Don't most clubs have about 25 players in the first team squad?
“Because they're in the way” doesn't sound very fair. Perhaps he meant “ because they're on the way”.
P1ssing them off in the transfer window so they'd get the hump and move on?

User avatar
dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007
Posts: 12594
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:21 pm
Location: Just over the border...

Re: Transfer Rumour Thread: Jan 2018

Post by dm » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:39 pm

222gers wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:51 pm
SheepRanger wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:47 pm
dm wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:31 pm
A rumour of a different kind though one we're talking about: "QPR ‘cull’ set to continue this week" http://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/foot ... l-15012017
Yes, still far to many players. Don't most clubs have about 25 players in the first team squad?
“Because they're in the way” doesn't sound very fair. Perhaps he meant “ because they're on the way”.
I think you're being a tad generous as I'm sure he meant in the way! Ollie's brain doesn't always engage his mouth quickly enough.

User avatar
PeterS
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger
Posts: 1825
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:09 pm
Location: Hertfordshire

Re: Transfer Rumour Thread: Jan 2018

Post by PeterS » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:45 pm

Marcus Edwards has gone to Norwich on loan

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 6106
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:35 pm
Location: Reading

Re: Transfer Rumour Thread: Jan 2018

Post by QPR_John » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:16 pm

dm wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:31 pm
A rumour of a different kind though one we're talking about: "QPR ‘cull’ set to continue this week" http://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/foot ... l-15012017
The story goes on to say we are close to the FFP limit. How can that be so. If true then we might as well give up now, other clubs spending millions but we are close to the FFP limit having spent peanuts relative to many in the Championship. Maybe having been fined under the old rules we are still being judged by them.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 22 guests