Match Thread: Queens Park Rangers FC v Cardiff City

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

Bear-Grills
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Re: Match Thread: Queens Park Rangers FC v Cardiff City

Post by Bear-Grills » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:34 pm

Systemsguy wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:28 pm
westlondonlalala wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:00 pm
Bear-Grills wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:51 pm

Still doesn't make any sense to me, how can you be offside in your own half? The offense is in the opposition half, that's when you're offside surely? Does that mean you could theoretically be given offside just outside your own penalty area for example?
Exactly that.

You can't give a pen unless the offense takes place in the box, you can't give a corner or a throw or a goal kick unless the ball goes out of play.

You can't be given offside unless your in the opposing half so how can the awarded free kick be taken inside your half.
Somebody pointed out quite correctly in the thread earlier he came from an offside position in our half.... He collected the ball in their half ....

That's why the free kick was taken from there.... Looks bizarre to the untrained eye but is actually correct in law where the kick is taken....

Remember when Charlie had a goal disallowed against Citeh?

Joe Hart touched it twice in the area when taking a goal kick ( the second touch presenting Charlie with a gift ) and Instead of awarding a goal the ref made him retake the kick instead.... correct in law again

Every fan thinks they know the laws of the game.....
Not being funny -dense maybe, but not funny- but how can you be in "an offside position" in your own half?
If drink isn't the answer, you were asked the wrong question

Lee Gib
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by Lee Gib » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:42 pm

Bear-Grills wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:34 pm
Systemsguy wrote:
westlondonlalala wrote:

Exactly that.

You can't give a pen unless the offense takes place in the box, you can't give a corner or a throw or a goal kick unless the ball goes out of play.

You can't be given offside unless your in the opposing half so how can the awarded free kick be taken inside your half.
Somebody pointed out quite correctly in the thread earlier he came from an offside position in our half.... He collected the ball in their half ....

That's why the free kick was taken from there.... Looks bizarre to the untrained eye but is actually correct in law where the kick is taken....

Joe Hart touched it twice in the area when taking a goal kick ( the second touch presenting Charlie with a gift ) and Instead of awarding a goal the ref made him retake the kick instead.... correct in law again

Not being funny -dense maybe, but not funny- but how can you be in "an offside position" in your own half?
He was offside in their half, but he became active in our half, i.e. he came back to the ball from an offside position. The rule now is the free kick is taken from where the offending player becomes active which just happened to be in our half.

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:44 pm

Systemsguy wrote:
westlondonlalala wrote:
Bear-Grills wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:51 pm

Still doesn't make any sense to me, how can you be offside in your own half? The offense is in the opposition half, that's when you're offside surely? Does that mean you could theoretically be given offside just outside your own penalty area for example?
Exactly that.

Chaz's is quite understandable tbh, keeper touches it twice so retake it no problem there.

But today not for me.
Last edited by westlondonlalala on Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:49 pm

Lee Gib wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:42 pm
Bear-Grills wrote:
Systemsguy wrote:

He was offside in their half, but he became active in our half, i.e. he came back to the ball from an offside position. The rule now is the free kick is taken from where the offending player becomes active which just happened to be in our half.
So your saying had he became active in our six yard box they would have had an indirect free kick six yards out?

Excuse me but I'm not having that pal.

Monkey
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by Monkey » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:52 pm

I’ve not seen the incident, so it’s a bit confusing to read, but if I’m understanding correctly, the player was in the opposition half and offside when the ball was played, but ran back into his own half and the free kick was played from where he was deemed “active”?

What deems a player “active”?
If you had a million Shakespeares, could they write like a monkey?

Bear-Grills
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Bear-Grills » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:57 pm

Lee Gib wrote:
Thank you Lee, I sort of see what you are getting at, although it still seems bizarre that you can be offside when the ball is still in your half. My half joking remark about being able to be offside just outside your own penalty area is in fact possible then?

The offside rule used to be dead simple - instead of complicating the existing rules they should try and think up ways of keeping the game moving e.g. not allowing the team penalised to touch the ball again until the throw, free kick etc is taken, rather than have them run off with it and throw it up in the air while they all get back. No wonder refs get it wrong sometimes!

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:57 pm

Monkey wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:52 pm
I’ve not seen the incident, so it’s a bit confusing to read, but if I’m understanding correctly, the player was in the opposition half and offside when the ball was played, but ran back into his own half and the free kick was played from where he was deemed “active”?

So my point is, if he had ran back & became active on the edge of his own box, they get match winning opportunity with a free kick on the edge of our box? Not for me folks.

I was sat inline with the half way line, it just looked like a standard pass through the middle & the flag goes up, offside!

The Lino is standing in there half where the freekick should be taken but his & the refs incompatance allow them to take it in our half.

This whole active thing, your active when the ball is played, not where you end up eventually.

Bear-Grills
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Bear-Grills » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:58 pm

westlondonlalala wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:49 pm
So your saying had he became active in our six yard box they would have had an indirect free kick six yards out?

It's not Lee's fault lala :D

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:03 pm

Bear-Grills wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:58 pm
westlondonlalala wrote:

It is he's the one saying it, how on gods earth your active in your own half I don't know, and for that matter actively what?

Your either offside or your not, your either in there half or your not.

Otherwise like I said they would be getting free kicks all over the place inside your half, I've never heard something so ridiculous in all my life.

Monkey
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by Monkey » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:10 pm

westlondonlalala wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:57 pm
Monkey wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:52 pm

So my point is, if he had ran back & became active on the edge of his own box, they get match winning opportunity with a free kick on the edge of our box? Not for me folks.

I was sat inline with the half way line, it just looked like a standard pass through the middle & the flag goes up, offside!

The Lino is standing in there half where the freekick should be taken but his & the refs incompatance allow them to take it in our half.

This whole active thing, your active when the ball is played, not where you end up eventually.
Is this a rule change? It’s always been the free kick is taken from where the player is offside hasn’t it?

Either way, let’s consentrate on the good points from the game, it’s a bit of a moot discussion.
If you had a million Shakespeares, could they write like a monkey?

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:13 pm

Yes yes we got the win that's all that matters, let's draw a lino under it.

Lee Gib
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by Lee Gib » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:13 pm

westlondonlalala wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:03 pm
Bear-Grills wrote:
westlondonlalala wrote:

It is he's the one saying it, how on gods earth your active in your own half I don't know, and for that matter actively what?

Otherwise like I said they would be getting free kicks all over the place inside your half, I've never heard something so ridiculous in all my life.
I'm not saying it. I'm just telling you what the commentators said and it's possible they, and the ref, know more about the rules than the rest of us.

Don't shoot the messenger.

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by QPR_John » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:14 pm

westlondonlalala wrote:
Bear-Grills wrote:
westlondonlalala wrote:

When did the Lino flag surely the position of the player at that point is where the offence took place.
Last edited by QPR_John on Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:15 pm

Lee Gib wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:13 pm
westlondonlalala wrote:
Bear-Grills wrote:

I'm not saying it. I'm just telling you what the commentators said and it's possible they, and the ref, know more about the rules than the rest of us.

Don't shoot the messenger.
Did they interesting, ok well I'll be bringing it up later this month on my refereeing course.

Heaven help the instructer if I don't get it :lol:

Lee Gib
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by Lee Gib » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:15 pm

westlondonlalala wrote:
Lee Gib wrote:
Bear-Grills wrote:

But you also have phases. A bit like the advantage rule, you wont get it indefinitely like in rugby.

Didn't we used to have a qualified ref posting on here a while ago? He should be able to sort this out.