Match Thread: Queens Park Rangers FC v Cardiff City

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

Lee Gib
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Re: Match Thread: Queens Park Rangers FC v Cardiff City

Post by Lee Gib » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:17 pm

QPR_John wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:14 pm
westlondonlalala wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:03 pm
Bear-Grills wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:58 pm

It's not Lee's fault lala :D
It is he's the one saying it, how on gods earth your active in your own half I don't know, and for that matter actively what?

Your either offside or your not, your either in there half or your not.

Otherwise like I said they would be getting free kicks all over the place inside your half, I've never heard something so ridiculous in all my life.
When did the Lino flag surely the position of the player at that point is where the offence took place.
If i'm not mistaken the lino only flags when the player is active.

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:17 pm

QPR_John wrote:
westlondonlalala wrote:
Bear-Grills wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:58 pm

It's not Lee's fault lala :D
It is he's the one saying it, how on gods earth your active in your own half I don't know, and for that matter actively what?

Otherwise like I said they would be getting free kicks all over the place inside your half, I've never heard something so ridiculous in all my life.
When did the Lino flag surely the position of the player at that point is where the offence took place.
Yep that's how I see it, it's very simple.

But if there is something I'm missing then maybe it's me who is simple.

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:20 pm

Lee Gib wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:15 pm
westlondonlalala wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:49 pm
Lee Gib wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:42 pm

He was offside in their half, but he became active in our half, i.e. he came back to the ball from an offside position. The rule now is the free kick is taken from where the offending player becomes active which just happened to be in our half.
So your saying had he became active in our six yard box they would have had an indirect free kick six yards out?

Excuse me but I'm not having that pal.
But you also have phases. A bit like the advantage rule, you wont get it indefinitely like in rugby.

Didn't we used to have a qualified ref posting on here a while ago? He should be able to sort this out.
I sit my final exam in Apr Lee then my say is the final say :lol:

No seriously I'll be bringing this up in the class room, purely because you said the commentator brought it up.

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Damien » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:28 pm

Did NW have anything to say about it afterwards? I've seen it a few times now and am really none the wiser. If we got a break - can't say we don't deserve one for a change.

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Damien » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:30 pm

westlondonlalala wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:17 pm
QPR_John wrote:
westlondonlalala wrote:

Yep that's how I see it, it's very simple.

But if there is something I'm missing then maybe it's me who is simple.
It used to simple enough for me "who knows nothing about football" to understand. I'll hold my hand up and say the new rules have me baffled as well.

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:02 pm

When attacking in and around an apponents box I understand first and second phase of play, I also understand the whole being active term.

But a straight forward offside on the halfway line is it what it is, until today that is.

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:22 pm

They used to say you're getting old when the policemen look younger. Now it's the rules of football ( or is it the laws ? ).

Systemsguy
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Systemsguy » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:22 pm

Something similar happened in a Crystal Palace game last season.... The indirect "offside" free kick was taken in the opposing half...

The FA / FIFA tinkers with rule changes every season, sometimes good.... sometimes bad....

For instance this season...

Kick off... One player can now stand in the opposition half to kick the ball backwards....

The reason?

When the law changed that you could kick the ball backwards from kick off, you weren't allowed to stand in the opposing half to do this and had to stand on the line and swivel your other foot round to achieve this... It was rediculous trying to enforce this rule....

It's called the laws of the game rather than rules....
2018/2019.... Keep Calm, no matter the season, we'll follow our team.....

n22hoop
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by n22hoop » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:13 pm

"Football is the love of form. A spectacle that scarcely leaves a trace in the memory and does not enrich or impoverish knowledge. This is its appeal : it is exciting and empty." Mario Vargas Llosa

Tunga
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by Tunga » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:56 pm

This article covers the offside law change. It has been applied since the start of the current season.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... le-changes
“Part of the law book says when players commit an offside offence you give a free-kick where the offence occurred. The other part of the law book says you give a free-kick where the player was when he was in the offside position. So a player can actually move 20 yards from being in an offside position … and it is only the moment he plays the ball that he is penalised. The law tells you to give the free-kick in two different places.

“So, in future, the free-kick will always be given where he commits the offside offence, even if he is in his own half, because you cannot be in an offside position in your own half, but you can go back into your own half to commit an offside offence.”
And the current laws, taken from the FA page:

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-gov ... ---offside

Relevant snippets, my emphases:
If an offside offence occurs, the referee awards an indirect free kick where the offence occurred, including if it is in the player’s own half of the field of play.

It is not an offence to be in an offside position.

A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:
interfering with play by playing or touching a ball passed or touched by a team-mate or

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:13 pm

Thanks tunga but it's lost on me

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by QPR_John » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:17 pm

westlondonlalala wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:13 pm
As it is, I suggest, to many referees and their assistents

Bear-Grills
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Bear-Grills » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:57 pm

Regarding the Cardiff disallowed "goal", this part of the offside rule seems to apply as I don't think Scowen knew much about it, and didn't seem to me to try and direct it...

"A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:

...gaining an advantage by playing the ball or interfering with an opponent when it has: rebounded or been deflected off the goalpost, crossbar or an opponent"
If drink isn't the answer, you were asked the wrong question

Tunga
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by Tunga » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:56 pm

westlondonlalala wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:13 pm
You are given offside when you interfere with play (play the ball). The free-kick occurs where that happens, not where you were stood when the pass was made.

If you're stood offside in the opponent's half, then you run back to your own half and receive it, the free-kick is now in your own half.

Surely you've read the laws if you're taking a refereeing exam?

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:26 pm

They don't exactly shout these rule changes from the rooftops do they? I admit I'm not the avid football fan I used to be, just supporting the Rangers with little interest in the game in general. However, I nothing of these changes. It may be something they could bung into the first programme, sorry, matchday magazine, of the season.