Holy Grail or Holy Gruel.....

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

Stans left foot
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Holy Grail or Holy Gruel.....

Post by Stans left foot » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:31 pm

Can't help but feel Messrs Murphy, Shearer and the rest of the MotD team were wetting themselves with pleasure last night purring over the Man City performance and their form this season to date.

My memory of Citeh, not THAT long ago was with them being strugglers just like us and their fat git of a keeper going off 1/2 way through the first half when they couldn't contain us or Kevin G. How times have changed, but that's for another post.

J Pearce esq of the same program was eulogizing about Citeh and their producing some of the best, if not the best premiership football he's ever seen.

well, well done him and well done them. Fact is at the other end of the Table is Stoke, leastways heading that way fast and I note a wail of horror that, not only Stokies expect their team to be and retain premiership status but also expect the "glorious free flowing football of the past". Well I've been around a few hundred years and even with my rose tinted ones on can't recall anything like that. Banks, Eastman etc but that's about it. I simply don't recall either a squad or a consistent period of free flowing football from them or an image of cultured football.

Alongside this I hear rumblings at West Ham. Same issues, not playing the same as we'd like to expect from any West Ham team....well my recollection is this was 1966 with Peters, Hurst, Moore etc and in tandem with having 3 or 4 players in the England set up were noted for, you guessed it, letting in 2,3 or 4 in order to try and score 3, 4 or 5 in return.

All of which got me wondering - whilst we are desperate for stability and being successful I wonder is playing attractive football an essential part of our DNA and supporter demand?

We have been lucky in having 2 generations of captivating players ( Rodney & Stan ) but does that lay down a template that every team has to aspire to the same standards? I only ask this as their are several teams in The Premiership but their supporters do nothing but whinge at the quality of entertainment being offered - Stoke, West Brom being top of the pile and now West ham on the back of Moyes appointment.

Or, put another way, is Man Citeh's obvious rich seam of form down to the high quality players ( and the expenditure of getting their services ) or predominantly down to Guardiola - as J Pearce seemed to think.

Or, put another way still, just how much should we expect from our management team in terms of the way the team plays, is set up, the format of play, the playing style, and the ethos of the club being met? This might seem simple but for me, and I say it again, Holloway dropped players and fielding a lot of shite v Brentford earlier in the season when arguably we should have played our best team ( as per Alan Hansen mantra ) - furthermore on the back of that when you see the earlier post 10 days or so back of the Sheff Utd training regime re free kicks and compare it with our crap theres a clear lack of input of even the basics at the training ground that shows any kind of innovation or practiced - which in turn leaves me feeling we've lost our way in terms of meeting the spectators ( my ) desire to be once again an attractive, footballing ( passing ) team.

Or, once again, maybe I've set the bar to high and having been old enough to watch Stan and Rodney I've simply been blessed?
"Fing Poo Wah" ( your comments are as much interest to me as a dogs fart ).

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Re: Holy Grail or Holy Gruel.....

Post by westlondonlalala » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:52 pm

They've spent probably into the billions over the last decade, something would be very odd if they weren't slaying all before them.

SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Re: Holy Grail or Holy Gruel.....

Post by SheepRanger » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:22 pm

I want to see us win, play as well as possible and score some goals to jump about to. I am totally indifferent about that being in League One. Being cannon fodder in the Premier League or grinding out results to stay there is equally boring. I'm a lower league happy clapper who wants to be entertained.