3 x 6 losing matches

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

Post Reply
the big IP
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger
Posts: 1167
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:54 pm
Location: Brisbane Australia

3 x 6 losing matches

Post by the big IP » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:01 am

I'm not in the Ollie out brigade YET.

But if you have almost 3, 6 match losing streaks, it's very hard to survive that, you can forgive 1 cause any team can go through that, but 3 no way

He's an experienced manager and should know the score.

If the tin tack does come he can really have no complaints

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor
Posts: 9961
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:23 pm
Location: Northern Ireland

Re: 3 x 6 losing matches

Post by Damien » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:24 pm

the big IP wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:01 am
I'm not in the Ollie out brigade YET.

But if you have almost 3, 6 match losing streaks, it's very hard to survive that, you can forgive 1 cause any team can go through that, but 3 no way

He's an experienced manager and should know the score.

If the tin tack does come he can really have no complaints
Probably not. But at the risk of sounding like a broken record - could anyone else do any better given our circumstances. Lose to Brum and he will definitely be getting the "vote of confidence" methinks. Sad really.

User avatar
SM
dot.org legend
dot.org legend
Posts: 15525
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:35 pm
Location: Isle of Wight
Contact:

Re: 3 x 6 losing matches

Post by SM » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:22 pm

It's a massive game this Saturday. If we lose to Birmingham I think that serious questions will be asked of him.

It sounds like Cotterill is under huge pressure too...
Isle Of Wight R'ssssssssss

old pauline
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger
Posts: 3118
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:06 pm
Location: Wimbledon
Contact:

Re: 3 x 6 losing matches

Post by old pauline » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:57 pm

In all three sequences we've been losing by the odd goal against some quite big teams (apart from the Forest defeat). Which seems to suggest that we are well in the games but just not quite getting ourselves ahead and then getting hit on the break. Which to me isn't a reason for sacking Ollie. Maybe get someone in to advise but I don't think we should press the eject button on Ollie.
Come on you Sooopa ........

User avatar
222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger
Posts: 3829
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:55 pm
Location: LONDON

Re: 3 x 6 losing matches

Post by 222gers » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:58 pm

SM wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:22 pm
It's a massive game this Saturday. If we lose to Birmingham I think that serious questions will be asked of him.

It sounds like Cotterill is under huge pressure too...
It does have the feel of Rorkes Drift about it. Brum are in slightly better recent form than us and will feel, like us, that they dare not lose. I think we'll come good and trounce 'em.

User avatar
n22hoop
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger
Posts: 1341
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:09 am
Location: bounds green

Re: 3 x 6 losing matches

Post by n22hoop » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:52 am

We're utter rubbish NOW. I don't see why we need to wait until we achieve a nice round milestone of 3 x 6. Can't people see that Ollie is just not a modern football manager? His sole tactic of give 110% is sadly not one that gets results in this day and age.

If it wasn't Ollie we were talking about he'd be gone by now.

I hope we beat Birmingham but I'd be very surprised if we do. And if we do it'll be by luck not design.
"Football is the love of form. A spectacle that scarcely leaves a trace in the memory and does not enrich or impoverish knowledge. This is its appeal : it is exciting and empty." Mario Vargas Llosa

Satch
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger
Posts: 3062
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:34 am
Location: New York City

Re: 3 x 6 losing matches

Post by Satch » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:16 pm

n22hoop wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:52 am
We're utter rubbish NOW. I don't see why we need to wait until we achieve a nice round milestone of 3 x 6. Can't people see that Ollie is just not a modern football manager? His sole tactic of give 110% is sadly not one that gets results in this day and age.

If it wasn't Ollie we were talking about he'd be gone by now.

I hope we beat Birmingham but I'd be very surprised if we do. And if we do it'll be by luck not design.
Because we've spent most of the last several seasons sacking managers mid-way through and it has got us nowhere. I think most of us are reluctant to see it happen again, especially without any obvious replacements. I agree he was a poor appointment, but that doesn't mean we have a better option, much like we didn't roughly this time last year.

It is very concerning that we seem to go on these slumps. For me they are characterised by constantly shifting squads and tactics, with fringe players given a few minutes. Imo this is part of the problem, rather than forming plans A, B, C, drilling the team and then giving them time on the pitch to put them in action.

I'm also concerned that this approach only seems to apply pre-game and during an actual match Holloway seems incapable of making any impactful changes. For most of this run of loses we've looked good at times, even for long spells but not made it count, then opposition have worked us out, made changes and ripped through us. Holloway never seems to take the initiative and waits far too long to respond.

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 5915
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:35 pm
Location: Reading

Re: 3 x 6 losing matches

Post by QPR_John » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:38 pm

Satch wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:16 pm
n22hoop wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:52 am
We're utter rubbish NOW. I don't see why we need to wait until we achieve a nice round milestone of 3 x 6. Can't people see that Ollie is just not a modern football manager? His sole tactic of give 110% is sadly not one that gets results in this day and age.

If it wasn't Ollie we were talking about he'd be gone by now.

I hope we beat Birmingham but I'd be very surprised if we do. And if we do it'll be by luck not design.
Because we've spent most of the last several seasons sacking managers mid-way through and it has got us nowhere. I think most of us are reluctant to see it happen again, especially without any obvious replacements. I agree he was a poor appointment, but that doesn't mean we have a better option, much like we didn't roughly this time last year.

It is very concerning that we seem to go on these slumps. For me they are characterised by constantly shifting squads and tactics, with fringe players given a few minutes. Imo this is part of the problem, rather than forming plans A, B, C, drilling the team and then giving them time on the pitch to put them in action.

I'm also concerned that this approach only seems to apply pre-game and during an actual match Holloway seems incapable of making any impactful changes. For most of this run of loses we've looked good at times, even for long spells but not made it count, then opposition have worked us out, made changes and ripped through us. Holloway never seems to take the initiative and waits far too long to respond.
You say you are reluctant to see Holloway sacked then go on to give various good reasons to do so.

User avatar
n22hoop
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger
Posts: 1341
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:09 am
Location: bounds green

Re: 3 x 6 losing matches

Post by n22hoop » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:14 pm

Satch wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:16 pm
n22hoop wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:52 am
We're utter rubbish NOW. I don't see why we need to wait until we achieve a nice round milestone of 3 x 6. Can't people see that Ollie is just not a modern football manager? His sole tactic of give 110% is sadly not one that gets results in this day and age.

If it wasn't Ollie we were talking about he'd be gone by now.

I hope we beat Birmingham but I'd be very surprised if we do. And if we do it'll be by luck not design.
Because we've spent most of the last several seasons sacking managers mid-way through and it has got us nowhere. I think most of us are reluctant to see it happen again, especially without any obvious replacements. I agree he was a poor appointment, but that doesn't mean we have a better option, much like we didn't roughly this time last year.
Satch - that's not a good arguement for not doing something. Can you imagine if you ran a loss making business and were reluctant to make changes to turn that around because does changes hadn't worked before! Business requires taking risks at times. Football is no different.
"Football is the love of form. A spectacle that scarcely leaves a trace in the memory and does not enrich or impoverish knowledge. This is its appeal : it is exciting and empty." Mario Vargas Llosa

Satch
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger
Posts: 3062
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:34 am
Location: New York City

Re: 3 x 6 losing matches

Post by Satch » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:51 pm

n22hoop wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:14 pm
Satch wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:16 pm
n22hoop wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:52 am
We're utter rubbish NOW. I don't see why we need to wait until we achieve a nice round milestone of 3 x 6. Can't people see that Ollie is just not a modern football manager? His sole tactic of give 110% is sadly not one that gets results in this day and age.

If it wasn't Ollie we were talking about he'd be gone by now.

I hope we beat Birmingham but I'd be very surprised if we do. And if we do it'll be by luck not design.
Because we've spent most of the last several seasons sacking managers mid-way through and it has got us nowhere. I think most of us are reluctant to see it happen again, especially without any obvious replacements. I agree he was a poor appointment, but that doesn't mean we have a better option, much like we didn't roughly this time last year.
Satch - that's not a good arguement for not doing something. Can you imagine if you ran a loss making business and were reluctant to make changes to turn that around because does changes hadn't worked before! Business requires taking risks at times. Football is no different.
Yes, but if on the balance of it, the only changes looked like they might make greater losses and i had already experience this, and instead i could wait it out, keep my head above water and if the changes were still required, make them at a more prudent time. I would do that.

John,
There is a lot to be dissatisfied with and i was anti the appointment when many were hailing a messianic return. I was also completely for firing him at the end of last season as i foresaw this exact scenario. However, after both of those mistakes, it feels that firing him now would compound the problem and likely lead us to making similar mistakes again.

If the club want to start doing the groundwork for a potential replacement from June next year i'd be hard-pressed to argue with it.
Last edited by Satch on Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Northolt_Rs
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger
Posts: 784
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:58 pm

Re: 3 x 6 losing matches

Post by Northolt_Rs » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:52 pm

old pauline wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:57 pm
In all three sequences we've been losing by the odd goal against some quite big teams (apart from the Forest defeat). Which seems to suggest that we are well in the games but just not quite getting ourselves ahead and then getting hit on the break. Which to me isn't a reason for sacking Ollie. Maybe get someone in to advise but I don't think we should press the eject button on Ollie.

We’ve scored 23 goals in 21 games this season. There’s the problem....

User avatar
n22hoop
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger
Posts: 1341
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:09 am
Location: bounds green

Re: 3 x 6 losing matches

Post by n22hoop » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:14 pm

Satch wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:51 pm
n22hoop wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:14 pm
Satch wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:16 pm


Because we've spent most of the last several seasons sacking managers mid-way through and it has got us nowhere. I think most of us are reluctant to see it happen again, especially without any obvious replacements. I agree he was a poor appointment, but that doesn't mean we have a better option, much like we didn't roughly this time last year.
Satch - that's not a good arguement for not doing something. Can you imagine if you ran a loss making business and were reluctant to make changes to turn that around because does changes hadn't worked before! Business requires taking risks at times. Football is no different.
Yes, but if on the balance of it, the only changes looked like they might make greater losses and i had already experience this, and instead i could wait it out, keep my head above water and if the changes were still required, make them at a more prudent time. I would do that.

John,
There is a lot to be dissatisfied with and i was anti the appointment when many were hailing a messianic return. I was also completely for firing him at the end of last season as i foresaw this exact scenario. However, after both of those mistakes, it feels that firing him now would compound the problem and likely lead us to making similar mistakes again.

If the club want to start doing the groundwork for a potential replacement from June next year i'd be hard-pressed to argue with it.
I too was against his reappointment. He wasn't on anyones candidate lists in the run up to JFH being released. And for a good reason too. And in arrived Marc Bircham too - what has he done to deserve that nice job? Apart from be a mate of Ollies that is.

If it were my business I'd be desperately looking to make a change sooner rather than later. If we go down we'll need to ask ourselves if we did everything in our gift to avoid it. And, assuming we keep Ollie on, the answer will be no.

The form of last season when it took 6-7 games to engineer that last win that kept us up should have been enough for all to see.
"Football is the love of form. A spectacle that scarcely leaves a trace in the memory and does not enrich or impoverish knowledge. This is its appeal : it is exciting and empty." Mario Vargas Llosa

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor
Posts: 9961
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:23 pm
Location: Northern Ireland

Re: 3 x 6 losing matches

Post by Damien » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:17 pm

n22hoop wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:52 am
We're utter rubbish NOW. I don't see why we need to wait until we achieve a nice round milestone of 3 x 6. Can't people see that Ollie is just not a modern football manager? His sole tactic of give 110% is sadly not one that gets results in this day and age.

If it wasn't Ollie we were talking about he'd be gone by now.

I hope we beat Birmingham but I'd be very surprised if we do. And if we do it'll be by luck not design.
I'll take luck over design at the moment. Doesn't matter how we win... IH and QPR need one ASAP.

User avatar
BiscuitRanger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 5099
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:19 am
Location: Johannesburg

Re: 3 x 6 losing matches

Post by BiscuitRanger » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:35 pm

3x6 losing matches ... sounds like Littlewoods, Vernon or Zetter.
Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 29 guests