Shooting

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Re: Shooting

Post by 222gers » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:44 pm

It often seems to me that we have never had such a weak strike force as we have at the moment. Perhaps it's that the game has changed and defences are better organised. When I first started attending games we had the likes of Arthur Longbottom, Brian Bedford, Bernard Evans etc and of course lots more through the years as we move towards modern times. Can anyone remember such a puny strikeforce ?

SM
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by SM » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:41 pm

Just on this point, I picked this up on Twitter earlier today...

Conor Washington has scored 11 goals in 74 apps for QPR
Marc Nygaard scored 13 goals in 69 apps for QPR
Isle Of Wight R'ssssssssss

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Damien » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:47 pm

222gers wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:44 pm
It often seems to me that we have never had such a weak strike force as we have at the moment. Perhaps it's that the game has changed and defences are better organised. When I first started attending games we had the likes of Arthur Longbottom, Brian Bedford, Bernard Evans etc and of course lots more through the years as we move towards modern times. Can anyone remember such a puny strikeforce ?
Not me.

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:02 pm

Those who train the squad in shooting want shooting themselves!

Our goal-shy forward line/s is now wearily well-documented, but sadly matters are compounded by the lack of goalscoring midfielders/wingers/anyone at the club.

Scowen - goalless
Luongo - a truly terrible 2 in 75
Freeman - 4 in 26 . . . edoh

aniwall aniwall aniwall aniwall aniwall aniwall aniwall
"There's a blue light/in my best friend's room" -Mazzy Star

kernowhoop
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by kernowhoop » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:51 am

We are all looking for answers and after every defeat, the search intensifies until, I think, we sometimes see things that are not there.

But, my guess is that this thread about 'shooting' is the one that is key. We simply are not converting a high enough percentage of shooting chances. Part of the answer may well be Zenith's training ground hoops, but, it is unlikely to be as simple as that.

Sadly, we do not have the quality up-front. By 'quality' I mean a striker in the style of Kevin Phillips - a little guy, who, throughout a long career, saw opportunities and took them... close up, from distance, wherever. Not only do the ones that we do have lack that instinct, but, we do not provide them with enough of the type of service that their style requires. Washington, earlier this season, said that he wanted to play alongside Smith. But, to succeed, Washington requires incisive passes, on the ground, where he can out-muscle the last defender and Smith seems to need old-fashioned crosses from the wings. Sylla? He seems to do best converting from the messy, untidy stuff - which is a feature of nearly every game at this level.

We either play to their strengths, or, replace them. OK, we could also try something different in training... come on you hula hoops!
It's simple. Score more goals than they do.

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Damien » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:32 am

stainrod's elbow wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:02 pm
Those who train the squad in shooting want shooting themselves!

Our goal-shy forward line/s is now wearily well-documented, but sadly matters are compounded by the lack of goalscoring midfielders/wingers/anyone at the club.

Scowen - goalless
Luongo - a truly terrible 2 in 75
Freeman - 4 in 26 . . . edoh

aniwall aniwall aniwall aniwall aniwall aniwall aniwall
Yet they are one ot the best mid-field's in this league according to some supporters :roll: I wonder if they still think that.

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Damien » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:37 am

kernowhoop wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:51 am
We are all looking for answers and after every defeat, the search intensifies until, I think, we sometimes see things that are not there.

But, my guess is that this thread about 'shooting' is the one that is key. We simply are not converting a high enough percentage of shooting chances. Part of the answer may well be Zenith's training ground hoops, but, it is unlikely to be as simple as that.

Sadly, we do not have the quality up-front. By 'quality' I mean a striker in the style of Kevin Phillips - a little guy, who, throughout a long career, saw opportunities and took them... close up, from distance, wherever. Not only do the ones that we do have lack that instinct, but, we do not provide them with enough of the type of service that their style requires. Washington, earlier this season, said that he wanted to play alongside Smith. But, to succeed, Washington requires incisive passes, on the ground, where he can out-muscle the last defender and Smith seems to need old-fashioned crosses from the wings. Sylla? He seems to do best converting from the messy, untidy stuff - which is a feature of nearly every game at this level.

We either play to their strengths, or, replace them. OK, we could also try something different in training... come on you hula hoops!
Well put and intentioned analysis Kernow, but I'm afraid Washington is now beyond hope at this level. He has been defended for too long and needs dropping. We will have to be very creative with his replacement mind you.

T-Block
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by T-Block » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:44 pm

Just having it or not having it is a myth.Practice is what it is all about.As Zenith says it is about muscle memory.

The alternative is just to say it is 'natural' ability.

Check -out Matthew Syed Book 'Bounce'- the secret is lots of focused practice.

I would not say Washington will never learn to shoot well,but that he requires alot more practice.

The issue is have Rangers got time for him to improve.

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:06 pm

Idoubt if Washington has anything left untapped in his “skillset”. Same for Smith. There's still hope that Sylla may come good but I wouldn't bet on it.

',

Satch
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:23 pm

222gers wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:06 pm
Idoubt if Washington has anything left untapped in his “skillset”. Same for Smith. There's still hope that Sylla may come good but I wouldn't bet on it.

',

When we signed Washington i read a P'boro fan say he was still developing as a striker. Now i know what you mean, but there is the possibility that game time in the right position could help him build some confidence and improve his decision making. I'm not banking on it, but i don't see a huge amount to lose given we don't really have many other options.

Same with Sylla, he's shown flashes of being quite useful, give him a run, motivate him, build his confidence and see where he gets us.

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:39 pm

The only other option, given that we seem unlikely to find a new striker in January, is Wheeler scoring from the wing. We used to have such players - the wonderful Don Givens, Mark Lazarus and others. We can but hope.

BiscuitRanger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by BiscuitRanger » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:04 pm

Satch wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:23 pm
222gers wrote:

',

When we signed Washington i read a P'boro fan say he was still developing as a striker. Now i know what you mean, but there is the possibility that game time in the right position could help him build some confidence and improve his decision making. I'm not banking on it, but i don't see a huge amount to lose given we don't really have many other options.

Same with Sylla, he's shown flashes of being quite useful, give him a run, motivate him, build his confidence and see where he gets us.
Washington - I think there is a footballer in the somewhere. Try him for a month playing off of Sylla

Sylla could be anything still. Definitely has raw talent and like many, a confidence player. I still maintain he is the best striker on the books and with the right coaching he could easily be Premiership standard.
Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out.

Satch
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:40 pm

BiscuitRanger wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:04 pm
Satch wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:23 pm
222gers wrote:

',

Washington - I think there is a footballer in the somewhere. Try him for a month playing off of Sylla

Sylla could be anything still. Definitely has raw talent and like many, a confidence player. I still maintain he is the best striker on the books and with the right coaching he could easily be Premiership standard.
Agreed on both, we wouldn't be any worse off if we'd played the pair of them continuously.

Andy_N19
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Andy_N19 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:22 pm

westlondonlalala wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:42 pm
in there own funny kinda way Smith & Sylla manage to find a way to goal
When?
Staff Benda Bilili

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger