How long does Holloway have?

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

SM
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Re: How long does Holloway have?

Post by SM » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:49 pm

Andy_N19 wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:15 pm
As I've said before Holloway isn't untouchable - we've lost 5 out of 6
no tactics at all and lumping to Smith isn't tactical nous!!!
I agree on the results, and not the first time that we've had a lengthy losing streak.

But comment on Smith and tactics is harsh. We played some decent football yesterday, but just couldn't take the chances we carved out.

Leeds did, that was the difference.
Isle Of Wight R'ssssssssss

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by QPR_John » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:56 pm

SM wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:49 pm
Andy_N19 wrote:
I agree on the results, and not the first time that we've had a lengthy losing streak.

But comment on Smith and tactics is harsh. We played some decent football yesterday, but just couldn't take the chances we carved out.

Not quite as simple as that. We did play some decent football in the first half but then during the half time break the Leeds management found a way to counter our play. Our management could not react to the change hence the second half performance. Surely two runs of six defeats and one of only one point from eighteen suggests there is an inability to put things right when problems occur.

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:57 am

Ten years ago when Olly was manager, we saw a similar picture. Certain players were frozen out, strange tactics which didn't make the most of the resources available, and sometimes didn't make any sense. The team is crying out for width (on both flanks) yet Wszolek has been in and out all season, Osayi-Samuel has hardly had a kick while Shodipo hasn't played all season. Using the full backs to push on and provide the width is leaving us vulnerable at the back.

I fully expect to see Alex Baptiste start as a striker on his return from suspension.

Ian Holloway's problem is not unique. Many football managers get stuck in a mind set - we'll play in a certain way (despite poor performances and defeats) and it will get better. The same players (favourites) get picked every week, and the manager seems blind to the issues, and unable to mix it up and change things round.

How long does he have? A while yet, but the closer we get to the trap door, the more tenuous his position. I also think the FA Cup could be key.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

Andy_N19
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Andy_N19 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:32 am

QPR_John wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:56 pm
SM wrote:
Andy_N19 wrote:

Not quite as simple as that. We did play some decent football in the first half but then during the half time break the Leeds management found a way to counter our play. Our management could not react to the change hence the second half performance. Surely two runs of six defeats and one of only one point from eighteen suggests there is an inability to put things right when problems occur.
Which again places a question mark over his managerial competence.
Staff Benda Bilili

SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by SheepRanger » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:36 am

ZENITH R wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:57 am
Ten years ago when Olly was manager, we saw a similar picture. Certain players were frozen out, strange tactics which didn't make the most of the resources available, and sometimes didn't make any sense. The team is crying out for width (on both flanks) yet Wszolek has been in and out all season, Osayi-Samuel has hardly had a kick while Shodipo hasn't played all season. Using the full backs to push on and provide the width is leaving us vulnerable at the back.

I fully expect to see Alex Baptiste start as a striker on his return from suspension.

Ian Holloway's problem is not unique. Many football managers get stuck in a mind set - we'll play in a certain way (despite poor performances and defeats) and it will get better. The same players (favourites) get picked every week, and the manager seems blind to the issues, and unable to mix it up and change things round.

How long does he have? A while yet, but the closer we get to the trap door, the more tenuous his position. I also think the FA Cup could be key.
Fear not, because in Jan we will sign an unknown striker from Macedonia for a bag of spuds who will go on to score 20 goals by May.

deadendjob
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by deadendjob » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:12 am

SM wrote:
Andy_N19 wrote:

I dunno mate. Smith; for someone who is 6'5" - often heads the ball away from our players and seems poor at hitting the target when in the box. I appreciate some of it can be service, some of it tactics (ie Olly told him to head it for player's to run on to and they're not), but it's so regular it does make one question what his strengths are if he's not the best target man?