Holloway interview after the game

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

Crabsandwich
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Re: Holloway interview after the game

Post by Crabsandwich » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:59 pm

I'm still there #truefan

stainrod's elbow
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:39 am

chopper wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:39 am
Totally agree with Ollie. His team is ravished with injuries. We gave up. They didn’t.
O'er vicar! :lol:
"There's a blue light/in my best friend's room" -Mazzy Star

Stans left foot
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Stans left foot » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:12 am

Funny how those that leave early then feel guilty about it and come on here and complain.

Really? :roll:

I'd have kept quiet about it.

Put another way, either your a QPR supporter and support the team, or your not. Simple.
"Fing Poo Wah" ( your comments are as much interest to me as a dogs fart ).

jm
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by jm » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:13 am

Stans left foot wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:12 am
Funny how those that leave early then feel guilty about it and come on here and complain.

Put another way, either your a QPR supporter and support the team, or your not. Simple.
It's not that simple though is it. People attend football matches with different priorities, to bunch everyone under some black and white definition of what it is to be a fan is unrealistic to say the least.

Sure we would love Loftus Road to be sold out every game, with every fan singing their heart out and staying until the end. However that's completely unrealistic due to multiple factors, such as our current league position, our ground facilities and simply some fans preferring to watch the game quietly and leave 5 mins early to beat the queues. Should we castigate them for their different priorities, stating they're not a real fan? That would only make attendances worse and evidently from the Brentford game alienate two thirds of our fan base.

Also in many fans perspective, support goes both ways. They've bought their ticket, the money and being seated at the start of the game is support enough, there's no 90 minute clause in their contract. If the team are performing badly why should they feel obliged to stay and watch? Many fans have had a hard week's work and just want to enjoy their Saturday afternoon, if they're not enjoying the match there's a more appealing pint waiting to be drunk in the pub.

People complaining about Holloway's interview were merely stating that them leaving was because of the above reasons, and to be criticised by the manager of their football team is poor PR to say the least.

Chimpo
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by Chimpo » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:18 pm

I've left plenty of games early, but I'd say I've stayed to the end of more.

Thinking about it I've fallen asleep at games, been hungover, sick in the toilets, watched every second, sung myself hoarse, not said a word, been bored, been elated, been excited, watched part of a film on my phone. I've stayed 35 minutes after the final whistle (Stockport/relegation) and left a (Premier League) game after 12 minutes (hungover).

People can do what they want. If Ian Holloway wants to dig the fans out for leaving early he can do that, but he needs to start winning more games. Win more games and no-one will care. Keep hovering around 16th/17th/18th and people will get the hump and blame things like this.

He could have quite easily said,"I don't blame the fans who left early but we've shown the ones who stayed to the end that we've got fight and we don't give up, and we need the fans to do the same." Same message really but without being soppy and OTT and wetting the bed.

I don't think Holloway has become a parody of himself just yet but you do wonder sometimes.

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by UxbridgeR » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:58 pm

Stans left foot wrote:

Which is worse : not turning up at all, as many clearly didn't, or turning up (for a Monday night game that was live on Sky 4 weeks before Christmas) and leaving a few minutes early ?
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

Satch
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:35 pm

Stans left foot wrote:

I do agree, i've never seen it as a consumer relationship as some do. I support QPR, i can be f****d off with the football or the manager but i'm there to support the team regardless. Obviously sometimes it's harder to feel motivated (Redknapp was appalling) but i'll do my best to get behind them. I think the only game i've left early (including some absolute hammerings) was the FA cup defeat to blackburn last year, as far as i'm concerned it was a farce and less than open training session.

So to an extent i agree with Holloway's sentiment, however, he was a lucky man and it's not his place to lecture the fans or relish their misfortune at missing the goals (which looked like they wouldn't come). I do think he has some affection for this club but he also exploits that when he needs some grace, he's starting to show a bit of strain imo.

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:42 pm

What about popping down stairs for a pee or a pint two mins before HT is that acceptable or does that also qualify you for not being a true supporter?

Satch
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:57 pm

westlondonlalala wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:42 pm
What about popping down stairs for a pee or a pint two mins before HT is that acceptable or does that also qualify you for not being a true supporter?
Nah, that's a f***** must.

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:30 pm

Satch wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:57 pm
westlondonlalala wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:42 pm
Nah, that's a f***** must.
The group I go with all love a pint, they sumtimes don't get to there seat 5-10 mins into a game, downstairs 5 mins before HT for a beer.
Me brother in law without fail if we're getting battered will leave and meet us in the boozzer after the game.

I think the whole thing got blowen out of proportion tbh, if your there 5 mins late leave 5 mins early if your there for 75mins or 95mins etc etc your there aren't you..

Football is the most important unimportant thing in life, to anyone who has an issue with leaving early get over it seriously.

I personally leave my seat around 90mins & sit in an empty seat next to the stairs, whistle goes bomb it down the stairs & out u go.

Satch
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:12 pm

One bloke, in particular, is usually the first to capitulate to his bladder so grabs the beers. He now insists on buying two each. Which is far more Carlsberg than anyone wants in 15 minutes.

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:26 pm

Satch wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:12 pm
One bloke, in particular, is usually the first to capitulate to his bladder so grabs the beers. He now insists on buying two each. Which is far more Carlsberg than anyone wants in 15 minutes.
Vile putrid piss Carlsberg & in a plastic bottle, I used to down a bottle, retching all the way back to my seat.

Now it's all about the bovril..

Satch
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:27 pm

westlondonlalala wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:26 pm
Satch wrote:
Vile putrid piss Carlsberg & in a plastic bottle, I used to down a bottle, retching all the way back to my seat.

Now it's all about the bovril..

I do enjoy a Bovril come winter. Although it's usually well into the second half before i'm able to actually sip it.

Don
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Don » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:38 pm

Satch wrote:
One bloke, in particular, is usually the first to capitulate to his bladder so grabs the beers. He now insists on buying two each. Which is far more Carlsberg than anyone wants in a lifetime.
Corrected.
I'm Ray Gardner. I drink Blackcurrant Tango. Come and get me!

Don
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Don » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:47 pm

Satch wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:35 pm
I do agree, i've never seen it as a consumer relationship as some do. I support QPR, i can be f****d off with the football or the manager but i'm there to support the team regardless. Obviously sometimes it's harder to feel motivated (Redknapp was appalling) but i'll do my best to get behind them. I think the only game i've left early (including some absolute hammerings) was the FA cup defeat to blackburn last year, as far as i'm concerned it was a farce and less than open training session.

So to an extent i agree with Holloway's sentiment, however, he was a lucky man and it's not his place to lecture the fans or relish their misfortune at missing the goals (which looked like they wouldn't come). I do think he has some affection for this club but he also exploits that when he needs some grace, he's starting to show a bit of strain imo.
I agree with your overall sentiment apart from the consumer relationship bit. I didn't used to see it that way but, ever since that vulgar, tawdry, appalling spell under Briatore and Ecclestone, I've been seeing it more and more in those terms. We used to be in in together (at least it felt that way) but to be lectured and hectored by a millionaire really took the biscuit. I wouldn't have thought this way a decade or so ago but my reaction was "oy, you're staff, we're customers; show some respect". Why do they sit in comfy, padded, modern seats when we have seats that only Douglas Bader could appreciate?

Despite Olly's 'passion', the gulf between the staff and the fans just seems to be growing. It's one reason why I'm barely an armchair fan these days.

Maybe it's me, not the club.
I'm Ray Gardner. I drink Blackcurrant Tango. Come and get me!