QPR v Aston Villa

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

Satch
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Re: QPR v Aston Villa

Post by Satch » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:06 am

JC wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:15 pm
Dollis Hoop wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:45 pm
Why does Holloway persist with Cousins at right wing-back? It's not his natural position. And his substitutions are mystifying. I don't know why Luongo was subbed - injured, presumably - but surely the sensible thing would have been to shift Cousins into midfield, his natural position, and bring Wszolek on at right wing back. Holloway has a habit of making things more complicated than they need to be. Bewildering.
This. aniclap aniclap aniclap it seemed so obvious at the time. I do get tired of watching the ball bounce randomly off Jamie Mackie’s shins
I said the same in another thread about Cousins and our right, bizarre decision and a continuation of the Forest game which is even more frustrating.

IMO you just can't start Smith, he has cropped up with a few but he is hugely limited and his lack of mobility is akin to us playing with ten men. Whilst he is tall, he doesn't have the leap of more agile players so doesn't win as much in the air as is assumed, he seems often happy enough just to get his head on it, rather than test the keeper.

Seeing a starting pair of Smith and Mackie is pretty dispiriting, Sylla I still think has potential to be decent, if not a world beater. He's far more complete a player than Smith. I'd also wager that Washington would outscore Mackie over a stretch, let's just play the pair of them, I don't see any downside. Smith and Mackie both have attributes that make them problematic to other teams and generally can do most damage off the bench if we're chasing a game. Let's use them for that.

I also agree with the criticism of Lynch, he is useful in the opposite team's box, but is an increasing liability when defending (which i perceive to be a result of arrogance but that might not be fair). I think I'd rather have a 3 of Baptiste, Robinson and Bidwell, giving us the chance to use Manning as the left wing-back.

Whether we can continue with the 3 remains to be seen though. I like the formation for this squad, it allows us to try and get the most out of some key players and it's worked pretty well despite the injuries we've suffered at the back; however, it's also been our downfall in the last two games thanks to the space it's left on the right. Whether, as above, that's due to Cousins being misutilised or other teams are just wise to our vulnerabilities now, remains to be seen. What is clear, though is, we can't be as slow to make changes when the formation isn't working.

There are some very good players in that Villa side and they deserved it. They were able to open us up at will. I was sure it was a penalty at the time, hitting Robinson on the wrist. But replays made it look like his leg was actually slightly ahead of his arm and deflected the ball - I'm still not sure, if I'm honest.

What i am pleased about though is we still were only beaten by a single goal. After last week, us chasing the game and with Villa's pace on the break we could have been on the end of another thrashing, but the team continued to battle on. This added fight has been one of the positives of this season, on the pitch i think it's true across the side, but Scowen and Robinson appear to be particularly influential in this respect.

Let's put the last couple of games behind us and try and get that first away win of the season on Tuesday.
Last edited by Satch on Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kernowhoop
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by kernowhoop » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:40 pm

222gers wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:29 pm
In similar vein, the five minutes added at the end seemed to be over in a flash. It's strange, the ref seemed to be having a good game for about 25minutes then seemed to turn into a Villa fan. We were of course up against a far better team but that berk made things even worse for us.
Villa controlled the last five minutes - just the time when we should have been pressing for an equaliser, roared on by an excited and hopeful crowd. Sadly, it was nothing like that. It just fizzled out.
It's simple. Score more goals than they do.

BristolCity
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by BristolCity » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:31 am

I couldn't see it posted here but Albert Adomah (great winger and all round top bloke was at Bristol few years ago) didn't celebrate his goals because he is a massive QPR fan.

grew up around the corner from QPR.... alot of friends and family are QPR fans...

When asked , why he had not been picked up by them, he said "speak to their scout"..... :laugh:...

https://twitter.com/BlueAndWhiteW12/sta ... 72/photo/1

http://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/ ... ainst-qpr/
QPR are my second team - not many Bristol City fans can say that!

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:28 pm

BristolCity wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:31 am
I couldn't see it posted here but Albert Adomah (great winger and all round top bloke was at Bristol few years ago) didn't celebrate his goals because he is a massive QPR fan.

grew up around the corner from QPR.... alot of friends and family are QPR fans...

When asked , why he had not been picked up by them, he said "speak to their scout"..... :laugh:...

He wouldn't fit our current criteria to get in the team.

He has pace!

Satch
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:06 pm

westlondonlalala wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:28 pm
BristolCity wrote:

He has pace!
Don't worry, based on Saturday i don't think Holloway has noticed!

He does seem like a top bloke, i'd love him at the club, but i imagine he's on decent scratch. I wasn't sure he didn't try and put the pen over the bar.

I recall a couple of seasons ago, he came over to the R block at the end of the game before going to clap the away fans.

Esox Lucius
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Esox Lucius » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:28 pm

westlondonlalala wrote:
BristolCity wrote:

He has pace!
Shouldn't you be on one of your beloved Brentford messageboards ripping the piss out of QPR? :roll:
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

BristolCity
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by BristolCity » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:05 pm

Eh? I've nothing against Brentford but surprised City fans are on there as I'm not aware of any association. (Not that there is for QPR and I am usually a lone voice in liking them when the Rs come up because of memories of the early 90s Bristol Rovers link up).

From a distance it does now look like QPR has turned the corner with a Chairman who won't make those mistakes again, a manager who (whilst I have reason not to like him) knows how to make teams perform, and most of the expensive dead wood off the books.

I can't see an exciting few seasons ahead but stability is underrated; the alternative can be much worse.
QPR are my second team - not many Bristol City fans can say that!

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:12 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:28 pm
westlondonlalala wrote:
BristolCity wrote:

He has pace!
Shouldn't you be on one of your beloved Brentford messageboards ripping the piss out of QPR? :roll:
Are u still alive? :roll:

Oh well we won't have to put up with u forever will we, hitting senior citizen years aren't you.

Satch
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:56 pm

BristolCity wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:05 pm
Eh? I've nothing against Brentford but surprised City fans are on there as I'm not aware of any association. (Not that there is for QPR and I am usually a lone voice in liking them when the Rs come up because of memories of the early 90s Bristol Rovers link up).

From a distance it does now look like QPR has turned the corner with a Chairman who won't make those mistakes again, a manager who (whilst I have reason not to like him) knows how to make teams perform, and most of the expensive dead wood off the books.

I can't see an exciting few seasons ahead but stability is underrated; the alternative can be much worse.
Don't worry, Esox was accusing lala of being a Brentford fan. Which is a bit harsh, lala isn't always the most positive, but he's not someone who only posts to put the boot in. I can't help but agree with him that Brentford are a much better run club than us currently. I'm not defending the response though.

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:05 pm

Satch wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:56 pm
BristolCity wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:05 pm

Don't worry, Esox was accusing lala of being a Brentford fan. Which is a bit harsh, lala isn't always the most positive, but he's not someone who only posts to put the boot in. I can't help but agree with him that Brentford are a much better run club than us currently. I'm not defending the response though.
Don't worry Satch, Esox Has just realised that he forgot to put on his incontance pants this morning & he's taking it out on me.