QPR v Aston Villa

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

Dollis Hoop
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Re: QPR v Aston Villa

Post by Dollis Hoop » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:45 pm

Why does Holloway persist with Cousins at right wing-back? It's not his natural position. And his substitutions are mystifying. I don't know why Luongo was subbed - injured, presumably - but surely the sensible thing would have been to shift Cousins into midfield, his natural position, and bring Wszolek on at right wing back. Holloway has a habit of making things more complicated than they need to be. Bewildering.

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:47 pm

Is it me or is Lynch getting worse? He's okay in the air but that's about it. When under pressure he's easily turned, gets his feet in a muddle or, as he did today, messes about in front of goal when a simple clearance is all that's needed. He looks like he thinks he's Franz Beckenbauer but plays like Bob Malcolm.

Bear-Grills
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Bear-Grills » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:49 pm

I must have watched a completely different game. Yes, Villa were clearly better than us, but as has been said we held our own in the first half, and struggled, but held on for most of the second - if Smith was able to direct a header AWAY from the keeper we may even have got something - I never though we were out of it a 1-2. Newcastle at home is my benchmark for a terrible, uncompetetive performance and today wasn't that.
If drink isn't the answer, you were asked the wrong question

Bear-Grills
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Bear-Grills » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:53 pm

dm wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:47 pm
Is it me or is Lynch getting worse? He's okay in the air but that's about it. When under pressure he's easily turned, gets his feet in a muddle or, as he did today, messes about in front of goal when a simple clearance is all that's needed. He looks like he thinks he's Franz Beckenbauer but plays like Bob Malcolm.
Your criticisms are valid, but I thought he wasn't too bad today. I've no idea what they were playing about at at times though with all that dodgy short passing just outside the area with a bunch of nippy strikers in close attendance - looked bloody suicidal on occasion.

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Damien » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:56 pm

dm wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:07 pm
The pen was hard to see from where I sit but plenty of others were not happy.

We didn't deserve anything out of the game. 1st half held our own quite well but capitulated in the 2nd. I have a feeling teams know our weaknesses in defence now, and Villa certainly flooded forward in the 2nd and should have scored more. It might be time to change our shape to try and mitigate these weaknesses.
Thanks Dm. Sounds like they just had too much for us. As others are saying, this is a hard-working group just... seriously lacking real quality unfortunately. If we stay up - then it's job done for this season IMHO.

kernowhoop
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by kernowhoop » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:01 pm

stainesranger wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:38 pm
Missed luongo 2nd half. Fairly even first half with us doing well in midfield. Second half that stopped.

The subs were toothless upfront.

Smith is a decent goal threat. Could’ve nicked a goal, but we didn’t deserve a point on that 2nd half performance. :arrow:
Agreed, except that Smith was not as effective as he might have been. Not as many headers won as expected and from knee level and below, too much was out of his control. Disappointed, too, at the lack of a grandstand finish when the extra five minutes were announced. Villa ran the clock down very cleverly and we offered nothing much for the crowd to get excited about. Villa were the better side, with more attacking threat, but, I was hopeful of a point even at 1-2.
It's simple. Score more goals than they do.

Andy_N19
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Andy_N19 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:38 pm

Very, very poor performance.
Our "front" 3
(Smith - lacks pace, technique and only wins 40% of flick-ons
Washington - lacks pace, any kind of goal-scoring instinct
Sylla - lacks pace, lazy, first touch not good enough, not an instinctive goal scorer either)
don't cut it

Defence was slapdash at best today.

Soon there will be questions asked again of Ollie's coaching, Rangers' scouting system and the lack of
youth/pace in the team; I heard football was a young man's game!

Consensus of opinion coming out of Ellerslie were words like:
shocking, hopeless and general concern that not much ain't gonna change any time soon.
Staff Benda Bilili

Esox Lucius
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Esox Lucius » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:49 pm

Luongo was the glue in the first half and was noticeable by his absence in the second half. Flashes from Freeman & Scowen. Robinson had a very good game compared to others in the team. Mackie & Smith didn't have anywhere near enough for Samba & James Chester to worry about. Smithies was good. Baptiste was decent and hit a few good long range passes which found their intended targets. Bidwell was Ok. Cousins was pony and shouldn't be ahead of Pawel or Darnell in that position, Both their goals came from our right flank and it was a stonewall penalty. Robinson put his arm out and it struck him between the wrist & elbow from my viewpoint. Not the worst game I have seen us play in the last few seasons and the overall application couldn't be faulted. We are where I expected us to be at the start of the season.
Last edited by Esox Lucius on Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

whittonhoop
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by whittonhoop » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:55 pm

Soon as Mass went off it was gone, much less competitive in midfield, a loss in quality.

Agree on Lynch, looked panic stricken at times, not a great performance

Albert Steptoe
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Albert Steptoe » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:15 pm

Bear-Grills wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:45 pm

I don't recall seeing you post when we beat Wolves and Sheffield - must have really pissed you off not being able to come on here and spread some some more gloom?
I see that Cardiff won again. Shows what you can do with a decent manager.

Esox Lucius
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Esox Lucius » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:21 pm

:troll
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

Virginia_R

Post by Virginia_R » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:11 pm

First 35 minutes, we were doing fine. The referee had a shocker: his poor decisions certainly helped Villa regain their composure, and while they got a slightly lucky penalty, everything was going their way by that point.

Second half, we simply weren't there: they had too much in reserve. We huffed a bit, but ultimately deserved nothing. They are light years ahead of us in terms of resources, and it showed.

Bear-Grills
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Bear-Grills » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:17 pm

Virginia_R wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:11 pm
First 35 minutes, we were doing fine. The referee had a shocker: his poor decisions certainly helped Villa regain their composure, and while they got a slightly lucky penalty, everything was going their way by that point.

Second half, we simply weren't there: they had too much in reserve. We huffed a bit, but ultimately deserved nothing. They are light years ahead of us in terms of resources, and it showed.
It might just be me, but I also thought that the "2 minutes added time" stretched on into Fergie territory, and the ref was never going to blow while Villa were still pressing so hard - bottled it, or lost track, one or the other I reckon

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:29 pm

In similar vein, the five minutes added at the end seemed to be over in a flash. It's strange, the ref seemed to be having a good game for about 25minutes then seemed to turn into a Villa fan. We were of course up against a far better team but that berk made things even worse for us.

JC
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by JC » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:15 pm

Dollis Hoop wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:45 pm
Why does Holloway persist with Cousins at right wing-back? It's not his natural position. And his substitutions are mystifying. I don't know why Luongo was subbed - injured, presumably - but surely the sensible thing would have been to shift Cousins into midfield, his natural position, and bring Wszolek on at right wing back. Holloway has a habit of making things more complicated than they need to be. Bewildering.
This. aniclap aniclap aniclap it seemed so obvious at the time. I do get tired of watching the ball bounce randomly off Jamie Mackie’s shins