Kevin Gallen post-retirement

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

stainrod's elbow
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Kevin Gallen post-retirement

Post by stainrod's elbow » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:56 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... ootballers

Some interesting comments from Magic Hat in this Viv Anderson-written Guardian piece today about giving players some professional options and networking opportunities after they retire. Sad to hear his feelings on the manner of the club letting him go as a coach after all his years as a player - echoes of the treatment of his brother Joe - though I thought he still had a youth development role at LR? His conclusion that 'there's no friends in football - only acquaintances. Now I understand' was especially poignant. Maybe if the likes of Caulker had stronger social circles they'd be in less of a mental mess.

A certain degree of stability, self-awareness and well-being, fiscal or psychological, must depend on the band width of the individual, one would imagine, but pro football - from its historically endemic sexual abuse of young players to its ludicrous top-end rewards and the opportunistic avarice of its 'advisors' and 'agents' - doesn't seem to be an industry that does its practitioners too many human favours.
"There's a blue light/in my best friend's room" -Mazzy Star

SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Re: Kevin Gallen post-retirement

Post by SheepRanger » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:08 pm

Kev seems to have lost some weight since I last saw him on the pitch accepting entrance to the Qpr Legends. He has a big jacket n to cover his guiness bump!!

Nick_Hammersmith
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Re: Kevin Gallen post-retirement

Post by Nick_Hammersmith » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:48 am

stainrod's elbow wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:56 pm
https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... ootballers

Some interesting comments from Magic Hat in this Viv Anderson-written Guardian piece today about giving players some professional options and networking opportunities after they retire. Sad to hear his feelings on the manner of the club letting him go as a coach after all his years as a player - echoes of the treatment of his brother Joe - though I thought he still had a youth development role at LR? His conclusion that 'there's no friends in football - only acquaintances. Now I understand' was especially poignant. Maybe if the likes of Caulker had stronger social circles they'd be in less of a mental mess.

A certain degree of stability, self-awareness and well-being, fiscal or psychological, must depend on the band width of the individual, one would imagine, but pro football - from its historically endemic sexual abuse of young players to its ludicrous top-end rewards and the opportunistic avarice of its 'advisors' and 'agents' - doesn't seem to be an industry that does its practitioners too many human favours.
I'm struggling to feel sorry when one of the complaints is that they have to get a 'normal' job after football!
--What, like the rest of us mugs?!

The average wage is something like £27 pa, so when these guys are earning that every week or two weeks it should be possible for them to squirrel a bit away for a rainy day...