Holloway post-Forest interview

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

stainrod's elbow
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Holloway post-Forest interview

Post by stainrod's elbow » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:23 am

Woeful. Came over as tired and dejected as his team.

Q: What would have helped today?
A: Score the first goal.

Brilliant, Ollie. Now go away for a lie-down, gather a bit of pride, and come back with a proper and credible analysis. Some questions for you to brood on while you're there . . .

1. Why did 'my left back' go missing for the embarrassing 4th goal (the final phase of which found three Forest players all unmarked)?
2. Were you trying to make a Redknapp-esque point to the owners by leaving a dysfunctional team set-up on the pitch to half-time, by which time we were 0-2 down?
3. Have you ever heard of wingers? They're quite useful people to have on the park. Forest clearly have, as theirs ripped us up.
4. How is it, with all our pre-season fitness training, Forest looked streets ahead of us in terms of pressing, energy and intensity virtually from start to finish?
5. The players looked knackered, bored, or like they'd been paid to lose. Why was that?

Most depressing moment of the day for me in my seat in the Brian Clough Stand? The two home supporters behind me muttering that 'Sheffield United and Wolves must be really shit' if this is what beat them. I cringed.

Utterly embarrassing, inept and shameful showing. At the final whistle, Mass must have been forlornly applauding about 50 Rangers fans of the 1,600 who'd made the trip.

I'd say this squad has a lot of growing up to do. As have the coaching team. It was like we were playing in the FA Cup.

Sometimes this club makes me want to give up on life.
"There's a blue light/in my best friend's room" -Mazzy Star

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Re: Holloway post-Forest interview

Post by UxbridgeR » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:16 am

I never really understand why people set so much store by post-match interviews. Managers are forced to do them, when talking to the media is probably the last thing in the world they want to do. I'm sure he was tired and dejected. It was a miserable day all round, so he's unlikely to serve up a detailed dissection of where it all went wrong for the vultures to feast on. The post-mortem should be conducted behind closed doors when all concerned are fresh and alert.

Sheffield United and Wolves clearly weren't shit, as their league positions demonstrate, but they weren't at their best, whereas we were probably close to ours. Our inability to maintain that level is why we're a lower mid-table team. We haven't had too many tonkings since Holloway came back, so let's not go over the top about this one. If we start making a habit of it, then it'll be time to worry.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

old pauline
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by old pauline » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:41 am

UxbridgeR wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:16 am
I never really understand why people set so much store by post-match interviews. Managers are forced to do them, when talking to the media is probably the last thing in the world they want to do. I'm sure he was tired and dejected. It was a miserable day all round, so he's unlikely to serve up a detailed dissection of where it all went wrong for the vultures to feast on. The post-mortem should be conducted behind closed doors when all concerned are fresh and alert.

Sheffield United and Wolves clearly weren't shit, as their league positions demonstrate, but they weren't at their best, whereas we were probably close to ours. Our inability to maintain that level is why we're a lower mid-table team. We haven't had too many tonkings since Holloway came back, so let's not go over the top about this one. If we start making a habit of it, then it'll be time to worry.
aniclap aniclap aniclap aniclap aniclap
Come on you Sooopa ........

T-Block
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by T-Block » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:00 pm

Fair comment

stainrod's elbow
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:19 pm

I find this both mollifying and sensible in response to my own post - thanks for the humanising perspective. But I do feel that Holloway's own under-performance - both in how badly he set us up on the day and then not changing it - was confirmed by his defeated interview. It wasn't just that we dipped on the day - we were awful! What worried me most was, that despite the same Saturday/Tuesday schedule as Forest, we looked so jaded. Too many of these players (Mackie, Smith, Washington) won't take us anywhere special, while our much trumpeted trio of Scowen, Luongo and Freeman are decent, but mostly workmanlike - Luke, our supposed talisman, didn't thread a single incisive pass the whole afternoon. We have limited quality, intelligence and real creativity. And we're low-scoring, which, when we conceded so much space between the lines at the City Ground, is a recipe for arduous afternoons on our travels.

My fear is that, if the management team can't address our problems away from home, and if we can't source a goalscorer in January, it could be a sticky second half of the season, mired in the lower half of the table.

I guess it's a time for continuing to look at the stars after being dumped on our backs in the gutter. It was a bad old day, but, I guess, still a good month, and we're still much nearer the playoffs than the relegation spots. For now, anyway.

Esox Lucius
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Esox Lucius » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:44 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if no-one is brought in during January. It doesn't really matter what the club needs, there is still a world record fine hanging over our heads and I imagine that that will have some impact on our player aquisition. Maybe getting Eze back in Jan is as good as it's going to get.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by UxbridgeR » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:07 pm

stainrod's elbow wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:19 pm
Too many of these players (Mackie, Smith, Washington) won't take us anywhere special, while our much trumpeted trio of Scowen, Luongo and Freeman are decent, but mostly workmanlike - Luke, our supposed talisman, didn't thread a single incisive pass the whole afternoon. We have limited quality, intelligence and real creativity. And we're low-scoring, which, when we conceded so much space between the lines at the City Ground, is a recipe for arduous afternoons on our travels.

My fear is that, if the management team can't address our problems away from home, and if we can't source a goalscorer in January, it could be a sticky second half of the season, mired in the lower half of the table.
A lot of valid concerns there that I imagine are shared by a significant number of supporters.

We're unlikely to be going anywhere special with these players and this manager, and if we are, it's going to take years and not months. We don't have the money to keep churning the personnel, so it's about trying to make small incremental improvements to the team and the squad as best we can. Admittedly it's not an exciting or inspiring vision of our short-term future, but I think that's likely to be how it plays out.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

Satch
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:06 pm

stainrod's elbow wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:19 pm
I find this both mollifying and sensible in response to my own post - thanks for the humanising perspective. But I do feel that Holloway's own under-performance - both in how badly he set us up on the day and then not changing it - was confirmed by his defeated interview. It wasn't just that we dipped on the day - we were awful! What worried me most was, that despite the same Saturday/Tuesday schedule as Forest, we looked so jaded. Too many of these players (Mackie, Smith, Washington) won't take us anywhere special, while our much trumpeted trio of Scowen, Luongo and Freeman are decent, but mostly workmanlike - Luke, our supposed talisman, didn't thread a single incisive pass the whole afternoon. We have limited quality, intelligence and real creativity. And we're low-scoring, which, when we conceded so much space between the lines at the City Ground, is a recipe for arduous afternoons on our travels.

I guess it's a time for continuing to look at the stars after being dumped on our backs in the gutter. It was a bad old day, but, I guess, still a good month, and we're still much nearer the playoffs than the relegation spots. For now, anyway.
I think it's worth remembering Luke Freeman only cost 300k and there is a reason why he wasn't being courted by the top teams in this division. Tbh, i think Holloway deserves credit for what he has got out of him, but it's not a shock to me he isn't doing it every week. We know the team is short on incisiveness and class. Getting beat like that is shite, but not a shock, the fact it's not happened until now is. Other than Norwich that's the only game we've lost by more than a goal.

I've not been wild about Holloway's return, but he's not doing a bad job with a fairly average team and completely unsettled defense. We were good for the opening ten minutes, then admittedly poor, but we only conceded the second a minute before the break, he then made two subs at halftime. Personally, I thought he made his subs too early and it was the wrong decision, but he isn't guilty of inaction.

If you gave me the choice i'll take the wins at home over top of the table teams and accept the thrashing away.

nic
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by nic » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:57 pm

I remember watching Forest when Colin Calderwood was there manager.
They lost 4-0 at home, and he wasn't seen to be disappointed enough by the result, so the fans got on his back and he was sacked in the morning.

Holloway wears his heart on his sleeve, but you know that if he is dejected the night of a defeat he will be motivated and upbeat on the Monday, working to turn it around.

We don't have a great forward line, we had a couple of our better defenders out injured, and we have a cut price midfield that has performed pretty well this season, with some obvious exceptions of course.

On the back of two amazing home wins, it seems both unnecessary and unhelpful to be pushing the panic button, either about our form or about our manager.

We all know his strengths and limitations, and right now it is unfeasible to think we will get a better managed in who will do much more with these players.

A bit of continuity, another couple of good home results, and growing confidence is what this team needs.

Holloway is pretty well placed to give them that.

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:57 pm

Plus of course, with money being tight the Rangers won't want to sack Holloway and pay compensation. And this on top of paying God knows what to bring a new man in.

It's all academic anyhow as Holloway is doing as well as can be expected with what he has at his disposal.

Libertine
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Libertine » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:14 pm

Consecutive wins against table topping teams doesn't buy you much time before the chastising recommences does it?

stainrod's elbow
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:23 pm

It's not about 'buying time', but being competitive, energised and organised in games on a consisntent basis, as IH himself never tires of saying. That's the minimum. Not sure if you were at the City Ground, but we were none of them. I was delighted with our previous two results, but criticism is entirely due for the collapse at Forest, given the manner of it. We looked as if we were playing in one.

n22hoop
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by n22hoop » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:27 pm

Libertine wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:14 pm
Consecutive wins against table topping teams doesn't buy you much time before the chastising recommences does it?
I guess not but there's possibly a school of thought that might suggest we won those two games by chance rather than by design. And that the Forest result was more like the real QPR.

If, perhaps, hard work / giving 110% is the primary tactic then you will get found out in time.
"Football is the love of form. A spectacle that scarcely leaves a trace in the memory and does not enrich or impoverish knowledge. This is its appeal : it is exciting and empty." Mario Vargas Llosa

Libertine
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Libertine » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:49 pm

I wasn’t at the City ground admittedly. And I don’t doubt for a second that criticism is due. Those things happen in football sometimes though don’t they? They have for as long as I’ve been a fan anyway.

We lost to Chesterfield 3-1 away and got promoted. We lost 6-1 at Elland Road and finished mid table. We lost 4-1 at Scunthorpe and went on to finish as Football League Champions.

I totally agree with Ux. Until we stop winning at home and habitually underperform away it isn’t time to point fingers or demand answers. Our points return so far this year has exceeded my expectations and I think the rot is beginning to stop. Not sure what anyone was expecting above that from this season.

Let’s just hope everyone has a better day at the office next time out. Both Oli and the players should take responsibility and react. Because losing 4-0 feels shit. But nothing more dramatic than that.

BetaCam
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by BetaCam » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:54 pm

Yes, woeful it was.
Still, I can´t help wondering how the match have turned out to be if it hadn´t been for Robinsons howler.

I´m still optimistic.
Don´t forget we were hammered by Scunthorpe in our promotion seasons 2010/11, funnily enough right after we beat Sheffield United at LR :roll:
https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/ ... news/12098