Just got back ...

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

ZENITH R

Just got back ...

Post by ZENITH R » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:30 pm

Oh dear!

The first 10 minutes we were really good. On the front foot and after the week we've had I felt confident.

Then it all went sour.

They carved us open for all four goals like a Christmas turkey. Quick passing, men over ... bang!

At 2-0 we had possibly our best chance - a peach of a ball into the box, Mackie and Smith in a position to attack and head for goal. Mackie won and it went well wide. I wonder what the result would have been if he had left it for Smith.

The officials were poor - but it would be wrong to blame them for our hammering. That said - twice Smith had his shirt practically removed by Mancienne in the penalty area. As clear as day - nothing given.

As I have said so many times on leaving the City Ground ... maybe next year.

Actually, I did leave early after the fourth goal went in, it just seemed pointless staying 'till the end. That's from someone who never leaves early. Mind you plenty of Forest fans also left well before the end. Had it been us winning 4-0 I'd have stayed to the end and beyond.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

Danny Boy
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Re: Just got back ...

Post by Danny Boy » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:24 am

I think part of the problem was a belief we could win!

Had we gone with an away formation and played on the counter we would have stayed in the game... agree with Zenith great first 10 then we looked shell shocked combo that with a makeshift defence who had over performed in the previous 2 games and we were there for the taking.

Not a performance with a lack of effort just naivety that was fully exploited.

That's 3 times for me at the County Ground and 3 losses.

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:10 am

Danny Boy wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:24 am

Had we gone with an away formation and played on the counter we would have stayed in the game... agree with Zenith great first 10 then we looked shell shocked combo that with a makeshift defence who had over performed in the previous 2 games and we were there for the taking.

I have seen the odd draw (three I think) over the years, but all too often it's a depressing experience and journey home.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

Esox Lucius
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Esox Lucius » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:36 am

In my experience, a trip to the City Ground is more about the day out and relatively little to do with the result. The 3-0 defeat there after being relegated from the Premiership was probably my favourite away day ever after the 2-1 win at Aston Villa in 1968 when we reached the 1st division for the first time. I would never judge a QPR team on their ability to win there.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

Satch
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:35 pm

Danny Boy wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:24 am

There was, in theory, no reason why we couldn't. I thought Holloway made the changes too early. I like to see a manager go for it. But it was too long to play with Smith up top and no cover down the right.