What if Sylla had done a Di Canio?

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

mexhoop
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

What if Sylla had done a Di Canio?

Post by mexhoop » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:41 pm

The goal against Sheffield United was a little against the spirit of the game, just wondering if he had have picked the ball up and given it back to the keeper, rather than gleefully slotting the ball into the empty net how we would have felt?
I don't often feel sorry for our opponents but while I'm delighted with the win, something doesn't quite sit right, given the choice I'd have probably done the same as Sylla, but a day after the event, it does seem a bit unfair.

White Duck
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Re: What if Sylla had done a Di Canio?

Post by White Duck » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:57 pm

Really?

I guess you you are talking with the benefit of hindsight knowing the goalkeeper was injured during the incident but that wasn't clear at the time and the mistake was 100% of Sheffield United's doing.

Sylla did the right thing.
Lex Talionis........

Bear-Grills
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Bear-Grills » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:59 pm

mexhoop wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:41 pm
The goal against Sheffield United was a little against the spirit of the game, just wondering if he had have picked the ball up and given it back to the keeper, rather than gleefully slotting the ball into the empty net how we would have felt?
I don't often feel sorry for our opponents but while I'm delighted with the win, something doesn't quite sit right, given the choice I'd have probably done the same as Sylla, but a day after the event, it does seem a bit unfair.
As you are mexhoop I'll assume you are currently high on mescaline :)

The keeper collided with his own man, not Sylla - no ethical dilemma at all in my book
If drink isn't the answer, you were asked the wrong question

mexhoop
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by mexhoop » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:00 am

Fair enough, just watched the Di Canio giving the ball back on YouTube, and the keeper collided with a West Ham player, I feel a bit better now

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:50 am

Sylla had his back to the incident he only just about realised where the ball was let alone what had happened to the keeper.

Di canio was facing play and had a bit more time to react.

Satch
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:58 pm

westlondonlalala wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:50 am
Sylla had his back to the incident he only just about realised where the ball was let alone what had happened to the keeper.

Di canio was facing play and had a bit more time to react.
Agreed, two players make a mistake, ball pops out, stick it away. If maybe the player had been down for a while and it was an oversight the ball was still in play, that would be cynical but it was more than fair to tuck that home. Although a new gentleman's rule of not taking advantage of defensive mix-ups would probably be worth more to us.

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:59 pm

You could name it the Onuoha rule.

Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:00 pm

If you were playing Sunday league and that happened then you picked the ball up and gave it to their keeper you'd be ostracised and drummed out of the team. Sylla did what any professional or amateur should do. Besides which they had another 90 minutes to put it right and didn't.
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:01 pm

westlondonlalala wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:59 pm
You could name it the Onuoha rule.
:lol: :lol: :lol: naughty :cry:
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:21 pm

mexhoop wrote:

I think Sylla was fouled by the defender - a two handed shove in the back. So, it should have been a penalty had we not scored. Of course the shove took Sylla beyond the incident, so he didn't know what was happening behind him. The shove also saved Sylla from being caught in the sandwich, so when the ball arrived at his feet he was probably the most surprised person in the stadium.

Quick thinking and he tucked it away.

Good on him.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

deepseahoop
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by deepseahoop » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:49 pm

Football isn't fair so we shouldn't start trying to change that now
Crying won't help you praying won't do you no good

LanCat
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by LanCat » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:18 pm

ZENITH R wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:21 pm
mexhoop wrote:

I think Sylla was fouled by the defender - a two handed shove in the back. So, it should have been a penalty had we not scored. Of course the shove took Sylla beyond the incident, so he didn't know what was happening behind him. The shove also saved Sylla from being caught in the sandwich, so when the ball arrived at his feet he was probably the most surprised person in the stadium.

Quick thinking and he tucked it away.

Good on him.
Agreed, he was pushed. Would a pen been given? Not a hope.

QPR-NI
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by QPR-NI » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:32 am

mexhoop wrote:
Balls.

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:00 am

mexhoop wrote:

If you watch it again the goalie tried to get up and then collapsed. Sylla would (possibly) have seen him trying to get up, but by the time he collapsed his (Sylla's) back was turned and the ball was en route to the back of the net. It all happened in a couple of seconds, so very harsh to accuse Sylla of doing anything wrong.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

Caroline
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Caroline » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:49 am

ZENITH R wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:00 am
If you watch it again the goalie tried to get up and then collapsed. Sylla would (possibly) have seen him trying to get up, but by the time he collapsed his (Sylla's) back was turned and the ball was en route to the back of the net. It all happened in a couple of seconds, so very harsh to accuse Sylla of doing anything wrong.
Exactly!! Have to admit, when I first saw the goal I cringed a little (knowing that Blackman went off after), but on second viewing (like you say) Blackman clearly seems to be lungeing for the ball and only collapses after Sylla's back is turned - no way Sylla could have known. It's such an unfortunate way to score and win a match, but on the other hand I'm glad it happened early in the game rather than the last minute - we had to protect that lead for 85 minutes against the league's top team so for that I can be proud - feels like we earned the three points.