Who remembers David Needham

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

dbak
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Who remembers David Needham

Post by dbak » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:44 pm

Esox Lucius
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Re: Who remembers David Needham

Post by Esox Lucius » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:34 pm

Yes.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Damien » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:18 pm

Didn't stay long I remember. Did we get Wicksy to replace him? Now he was a good un.

stainrod's elbow
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:20 pm

Just about! He was actually only with us for half a season or so, before moving to Forest at the pinnacle of their European success. Though Old Big 'Ead must have seen something in him, I seem to remember him as a gaffe-prone centre back who came in when our star was definitely on the wane - see his iconic cock-up in the 1980 League Cup Final that handed the game to Wolves - and did he score a calamitous own goal against Fulham, or am I confusing him with Ernie Howe?

At the low end of the quality spectrum (see also Dominic Iorfa and Devon White), the distinctions tend to blur, I find . . .
"There's a blue light/in my best friend's room" -Mazzy Star

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:21 pm

Known as "needles" in my section of the crowd.

Rbee
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:44 pm

I remember him being ok compared to many of the awful players we signed around that time.

The 75/76 team was dismantled way too quickly, Sexton leaving didn't help, but I think Ernie Howe was signed after Needham left and the rest as they say is history!

Giorgio
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Giorgio » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:29 pm

Damien wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:18 pm
Didn't stay long I remember. Did we get Wicksy to replace him? Now he was a good un.
...guess that Wicks did not come that season....I am pretty sure that a certain Ernie Howe was his replacement...
after he left for Forest...

Bear-Grills
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Bear-Grills » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:11 am

Rbee wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:44 pm
I remember him being ok compared to many of the awful players we signed around that time.

The 75/76 team was dismantled way too quickly, Sexton leaving didn't help, but I think Ernie Howe was signed after Needham left and the rest as they say is history!
Injuries and old age largely broke that team up as I recall? We had a perfect team come together at just the right time, but I can't remember having a lot of depth?
If drink isn't the answer, you were asked the wrong question

Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:44 am

As others have said, it was Ernie Howe who replaced Needham. Howe was described by Stan as the worst player he played with at QPR. My memory of him was him heading the ball out of the stadium more than once. Needham was a good player and I think given time he would've been fine with us. The own goal was away at Leeds, I think. Tony Currie scored against us that day. A rare header.
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:48 am

Here it is - I found it. Forgot Flynn scored the other. Turned us down. Hated him after that. Funny how extreme we can feel when we're younger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uSfrQP8tQs
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

Giorgio
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Giorgio » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:38 pm

Montag wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:48 am
Here it is - I found it. Forgot Flynn scored the other. Turned us down. Hated him after that. Funny how extreme we can feel when we're younger.

..I always like that away kit.....and I found this much better match vs Leeds https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnf-DH0qFws

kernowhoop
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by kernowhoop » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:05 pm

Giorgio wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:38 pm
Montag wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:48 am

..I always like that away kit.....and I found this much better match vs Leeds https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnf-DH0qFws
Indeed a better match, Giorgio. I was there, in the Loftus Road end, with my neighbour who was a Sheffield Wednesday fan who had a serious dislike of Leeds United. There were times when I think I was almost off the ground, packed in, in a swaying crowd. I saw Bowles score that important goal. Did, I? Well, actually I didn't. I saw him approaching the goal, but, peering through the crowd, I did not, in fact, see the ball cross the line. Not much doubt that it had happened, though. The noise was amazing. Wonderful.
It's simple. Score more goals than they do.

Giorgio
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Giorgio » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:41 am

kernowhoop wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:05 pm
Indeed a better match, Giorgio. I was there, in the Loftus Road end, with my neighbour who was a Sheffield Wednesday fan who had a serious dislike of Leeds United. There were times when I think I was almost off the ground, packed in, in a swaying crowd. I saw Bowles score that important goal. Did, I? Well, actually I didn't. I saw him approaching the goal, but, peering through the crowd, I did not, in fact, see the ball cross the line. Not much doubt that it had happened, though. The noise was amazing. Wonderful.
..no wonder that the attendance was much higher at the time (apart from the results that surely lured more fans to go and less TV)....
fans standing and squeezing like sardines...you could get double of today's ...and in fact our biggest gate has been over 30K... :D

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Damien » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:35 pm

Giorgio wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:29 pm
Damien wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:18 pm
...guess that Wicks did not come that season....I am pretty sure that a certain Ernie Howe was his replacement...
after he left for Forest...
You're right. Getting a bit ahead of myself. Think I have just erased all memories of Howe :wink:

Rbee
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:58 pm

Bear-Grills wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:11 am
Rbee wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:44 pm

Injuries and old age largely broke that team up as I recall? We had a perfect team come together at just the right time, but I can't remember having a lot of depth?
The strength in depth was largely Mick Leach! A young Shanksy was around, Phil Nutt, Ron Abbott who over the past few years has become a Rangers legend although in reality he was probably on a par with Ernie Howe! After Ernie came Bob Hazell.

The injury to Gerry Francis certainly cost us but our choices of manager after Sexton were poor and Dave Thomas, Don Masson and a few others left too quickly.