Conor Washington

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

Bear-Grills
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger
Posts: 3207
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 7:41 pm

Re: Conor Washington

Post by Bear-Grills » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:02 am

Rbee wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:38 pm
ZENITH R wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:25 pm
westlondonlalala wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:41 pm
The current crop upfront compared to what we've had in the past is shameful.

Spencer Sheron Thomson Austin etc etc geezers that score f*cking goals none of this bollox about positions and playing to there abilities just strikers that score goals, I'll be amazed if any of the current lot get to double figures this season.

Complete joke and miss management the pile of shite we've been left with up top.
All of them apart from Thompson we paid big money for at the time. We are not paying big money now. This means unless we unearth a real unknown diamond and get very lucky in doing so, it will be players like those we have for the foreseeable future. For that reason it is pointless making comparisons or lamenting the number of goals any given player scores.
Correct Zen! However is it worth our current crop of strikers practising their finishing in training for hours on end? If the talent isn't there then it isn't there. I would like to see us work on a way of playing to create chances for whichever strikers we play. I.E. not keep crossing the ball in to the box hoping Mackie or Washington will get a head on it.
Two quotes...

Practice makes perfect
The more I practice the luckier I get

I take your point but there are some aspects of the game e.g. keeping your shots down, that surely could be addressed by practice.

Someone mentioned Beckham practicing his free kicks after everyone else had gone home, and I can recall reading that Gerd Muller used to do the same thing for perfecting overhead kicks. Admittedly they had exceptional talent, but the principle remains true I feel
If drink isn't the answer, you were asked the wrong question

User avatar
Rbee
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger
Posts: 4365
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:01 pm
Location: Bedfordshire

Re: Conor Washington

Post by Rbee » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:08 am

I went to a couple of training sessions during Ollie's first tenure as manager.

On both occasions the strikers spent a long time away from the rest of the squad practicing their finishing. Crosses came over and they had to jump a hurdle before striking the ball or they had to run away from goal, turn and finish, lots of different things.

I am not convinced ten hours of practice rather than six hours, for instance, would make much difference.

User avatar
westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 5855
Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 7:07 pm

Re: Conor Washington

Post by westlondonlalala » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:14 am

ZENITH R wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:25 pm
westlondonlalala wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:41 pm
The current crop upfront compared to what we've had in the past is shameful.

Spencer Sheron Thomson Austin etc etc geezers that score f*cking goals none of this bollox about positions and playing to there abilities just strikers that score goals, I'll be amazed if any of the current lot get to double figures this season.

Complete joke and miss management the pile of shite we've been left with up top.
All of them apart from Thompson we paid big money for at the time. We are not paying big money now. This means unless we unearth a real unknown diamond and get very lucky in doing so, it will be players like those we have for the foreseeable future. For that reason it is pointless making comparisons or lamenting the number of goals any given player scores.
Helguson blackstock Furlong

Another three I've enjoyed over the years

Proper strikers that score goals, and I'm sure they didn't cost the earth.

It's the lowest it's been for a very long time with the current crop, woeful and mind boggling how we've been left so toothless upfront.

User avatar
Rbee
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger
Posts: 4365
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:01 pm
Location: Bedfordshire

Re: Conor Washington

Post by Rbee » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:21 am

Furlong and Helguson got the full Loftus Road boo boy treatment for a long time before their fortunes changed.

Food for thought?

Bear-Grills
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger
Posts: 3207
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 7:41 pm

Re: Conor Washington

Post by Bear-Grills » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:23 am

Rbee wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:08 am
I went to a couple of training sessions during Ollie's first tenure as manager.

On both occasions the strikers spent a long time away from the rest of the squad practicing their finishing. Crosses came over and they had to jump a hurdle before striking the ball or they had to run away from goal, turn and finish, lots of different things.

I am not convinced ten hours of practice rather than six hours, for instance, would make much difference.
Maybe you're right Rbee, but when I see a professional footballer skying it from 12 yards out it does make me wonder - and even our goal tonight wasn't cleanly struck!
If drink isn't the answer, you were asked the wrong question

User avatar
Rbee
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger
Posts: 4365
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:01 pm
Location: Bedfordshire

Re: Conor Washington

Post by Rbee » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:26 am

Bear-Grills wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:23 am
when I see a professional footballer skying it from 12 yards out it does make me wonder
You and me both Bear! Include a corner or free kick not beating the first defender as well.

Northolt_Rs
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger
Posts: 755
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:58 pm

Re: Conor Washington

Post by Northolt_Rs » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:11 am

The bloke is just pony. That’s it.

User avatar
westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 5855
Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 7:07 pm

Re: Conor Washington

Post by westlondonlalala » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:23 am

Did I hear right but the commentator said lastnite that Ollie said all of his strikers are better coming off the bench conpared to starting a game & that we've now scored 11 goals a championship high through substitutes?

Satch
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger
Posts: 2867
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:34 am
Location: New York City

Re: Conor Washington

Post by Satch » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:04 pm

I'd give Washington and Sylla a proper run together. They certainly seem no less likely to score than Smith or Mackie so it's no real gamble and they seem the most natural partnership.

Northolt_Rs
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger
Posts: 755
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:58 pm

Re: Conor Washington

Post by Northolt_Rs » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:10 am

Satch wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:04 pm
I'd give Washington and Sylla a proper run together. They certainly seem no less likely to score than Smith or Mackie so it's no real gamble and they seem the most natural partnership.
It’s the obvious choice to everybody except Holloway. They are clearly the best two out of our four p.isspoor forwards. Sylla, Mackie, Washington, and Smith are Div 2 standard players. I can’t get my head round how LF has got this so wrong especially given this is the one area he must be an expert in... it’s mind boggling how we’ve ended up with such a toothless frontline. Even worse is the fact we paid almost the same money for Washington as Soton gave us for Charlie. aniwall

User avatar
dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007
Posts: 12154
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:21 pm
Location: Just over the border...

Re: Conor Washington

Post by dm » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:16 am

Northolt_Rs wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:10 am
Even worse is the fact we paid almost the same money for Washington as Soton gave us for Charlie. aniwall
I share the concern over our strikers and Washington in particular but there is a £1.5m difference there. Not a lot given this season's grossly inflated price for strikers but still.

User avatar
ZENITH R
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8550
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:40 pm
Location: North Derbyshire

Re: Conor Washington

Post by ZENITH R » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:10 am

Northolt_Rs wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:10 am
Satch wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:04 pm
I'd give Washington and Sylla a proper run together. They certainly seem no less likely to score than Smith or Mackie so it's no real gamble and they seem the most natural partnership.
It’s the obvious choice to everybody except Holloway. They are clearly the best two out of our four p.isspoor forwards. Sylla, Mackie, Washington, and Smith are Div 2 standard players. I can’t get my head round how LF has got this so wrong especially given this is the one area he must be an expert in... it’s mind boggling how we’ve ended up with such a toothless frontline. Even worse is the fact we paid almost the same money for Washington as Soton gave us for Charlie. aniwall
We did get our trousers pulled down and our bottom spanked on that one. Mind you we only got CA because of his poor injury record, and Southampton got him from us on the cheap for the same reason.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

User avatar
Andy_N19
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger
Posts: 3016
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:37 pm

Re: Conor Washington

Post by Andy_N19 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:30 pm

Bear-Grills wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:02 am
Two quotes...

Practice makes perfect
The more I practice the luckier I get
You get the impression there isn't any practice at all in shooting or dead-ball situations.
Staff Benda Bilili

User avatar
westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 5855
Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 7:07 pm

Re: Conor Washington

Post by westlondonlalala » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:42 pm

ZENITH R wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:10 am
Northolt_Rs wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:10 am
Satch wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:04 pm
I'd give Washington and Sylla a proper run together. They certainly seem no less likely to score than Smith or Mackie so it's no real gamble and they seem the most natural partnership.
It’s the obvious choice to everybody except Holloway. They are clearly the best two out of our four p.isspoor forwards. Sylla, Mackie, Washington, and Smith are Div 2 standard players. I can’t get my head round how LF has got this so wrong especially given this is the one area he must be an expert in... it’s mind boggling how we’ve ended up with such a toothless frontline. Even worse is the fact we paid almost the same money for Washington as Soton gave us for Charlie. aniwall
We did get our trousers pulled down and our bottom spanked on that one. Mind you we only got CA because of his poor injury record, and Southampton got him from us on the cheap for the same reason.
Completely incorrect, they got him on the cheap because all summer we pissed about not selling him for closer to 10m, come Jan not a lot was going on & the powers that be decided to cash in on him knowing he was leaving for nothing in the summer.

Had nothing to do with his injury record the club completely ballsed it up could have got closer to 10 for him in the summer, then bottled it & cut there losses by taking 4 in Jan.

Bear-Grills
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger
Posts: 3207
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 7:41 pm

Re: Conor Washington

Post by Bear-Grills » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:24 pm

Andy_N19 wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:30 pm
Bear-Grills wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:02 am
Two quotes...

Practice makes perfect
The more I practice the luckier I get
You get the impression there isn't any practice at all in shooting or dead-ball situations.
Freeman is a tad unlucky with some of his free kicks, but the overall standard of shooting leaves something to be desired...
If drink isn't the answer, you were asked the wrong question

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 22 guests