Conor Washington

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Re: Conor Washington

Post by dm » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:35 pm

Wheeler is a right midfielder.

Rbee
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:36 pm

Sylla also hasn’t been given the best of opportunities so in a way the club are not doing themselves any favours.

I wouldn’t judge Sylla on tonight’s performance but I would be interested to know why he started tonight over Washington.

Rbee
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:38 pm

dm wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:35 pm
So a wide midfield player not winger.

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:40 pm

Rbee wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:38 pm
dm wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:35 pm
So a wide midfield player not winger.
Never really understood the difference!

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:41 pm

The current crop upfront compared to what we've had in the past is shameful.

Spencer Sheron Thomson Austin etc etc geezers that score f*cking goals none of this bollox about positions and playing to there abilities just strikers that score goals, I'll be amazed if any of the current lot get to double figures this season.

Complete joke and miss management the pile of shite we've been left with up top.

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:53 pm

Sheron was awful!

Rbee
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:54 pm

Are they a pile of shite or not serviced properly?

Sheron?? Another case of player and club not suited because Sheron did put in a shift in but rarely scored.

I would say Mackie is limited but obviously much better playing alongside an Austin or Cisse. Maybe Mackie/Smith need a few games together.

I agree dm, lol, on both counts!

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:58 pm

dm wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:53 pm
Sheron was awful!

Sheron nearly a 1 in 4 strike rate for Qpr, compared to Washington's 1 in 7..!
Last edited by westlondonlalala on Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:00 pm

Rbee wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:54 pm
Are they a pile of shite or not serviced properly?

Sheron?? Another case of player and club not suited because Sheron did put in a shift in but rarely scored.

I would say Mackie is limited but obviously much better playing alongside an Austin or Cisse. Maybe Mackie/Smith need a few games together.

I agree dm, lol, on both counts!
So if 1 in 4 is rare then what is Washingtons 1 in 7?

Rbee
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:15 pm

To be honest Lala I did not know that Sheron's stats were so good when he played for us. We signed him from Stoke because he was 1 in 2.

So I suppose the fact he wasn't 1 in 2 with us, the fact that he quickly replaced John Spencer who really was a class act and the fact the then manager Stewart Houston told owner Chris Wright ''Get me Mike Sheron and I will get you promotion'' all means our memories of Mike Sheron aren't the best.

I apologise Lala and Mike.

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:19 pm

Rbee wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:15 pm
To be honest Lala I did not know that Sheron's stats were so good when he played for us. We signed him from Stoke because he was 1 in 2.

So I suppose the fact he wasn't 1 in 2 with us, the fact that he quickly replaced John Spencer who really was a class act and the fact the then manager Stewart Houston told owner Chris Wright ''Get me Mike Sheron and I will get you promotion'' all means our memories of Mike Sheron aren't the best.

I apologise Lala and Mike.
I think being a youngster who was obsessed with footy and in love with Qpr at the time anyone from the 90's and Qpr was fantastic in my eyes, I mean dichio Is a hero of mine & I guess to others he may have been a donkey.

Maybe Sheron wasn't that great but I remember being over the moon when we signed him & did see him score a few.

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:20 pm

The simple truth is ... we do not have anyone at the club who is a 'natural' goal scorer. It's easy to point fingers at any of our strikers, but the fact is none of them has that knack of being in the right place, having a great first touch together with a killer instinct.

Charlie Austin had all of that, and it showed in how many goals he has scored throughout his career, and the type of goals he scored. His injury record being his only downfall.

So ... when Charlie Austin left things had changed and we were not in a position to spend £4,000,000 on a striker in the way we had been when Charlie joined us.

What we can do is ... work harder in training and make the most of our opportunities:

We had 10 corners tonight and failed to score. This could improve with a) working on them in training and b) having a bit of invention to give us an edge. The same with free kicks - I'm old enough to remember the early 70's - we scored lots of goals from free kicks, because we got creative and did the unexpected. The much maligned David Beckham was the best striker of a dead ball of his generation. That didn't just happen - he spent an hour a day after training practicing free kicks. Luke Freeman take note. A good effort tonight, but a foot wide. If it had been on target (18 inches to the left) we score and take a share of the points.

Over the last few seasons I have seen numerous QPR players shoot from distance and put the ball just wide or just over. In short 'JUST' failing to hit the target. Johansen scored the winner in just that situation. Something else we could improve on the training ground.

I suspect we are not doing the right things in training, or not doing them enough. Practice makes perfect!

It's fine for Ian Holloway to come on TV and say how proud he is of his players who worked really hard ... but we didn't get any points.

Keep them back for extra training - shooting and dead ball situations Mr Holloway, and maybe we'll see an improvement on the pitch.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:24 pm

Set pieces were awful I think we beat the first man once all night.

Buzacky should join the deadball coaching team now there was a man that could put it in the right area.

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:25 pm

westlondonlalala wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:41 pm

Spencer Sheron Thomson Austin etc etc geezers that score f*cking goals none of this bollox about positions and playing to there abilities just strikers that score goals, I'll be amazed if any of the current lot get to double figures this season.

Complete joke and miss management the pile of shite we've been left with up top.
All of them apart from Thompson we paid big money for at the time. We are not paying big money now. This means unless we unearth a real unknown diamond and get very lucky in doing so, it will be players like those we have for the foreseeable future. For that reason it is pointless making comparisons or lamenting the number of goals any given player scores.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

Rbee
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:38 pm

ZENITH R wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:25 pm
westlondonlalala wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:41 pm

All of them apart from Thompson we paid big money for at the time. We are not paying big money now. This means unless we unearth a real unknown diamond and get very lucky in doing so, it will be players like those we have for the foreseeable future. For that reason it is pointless making comparisons or lamenting the number of goals any given player scores.
Correct Zen! However is it worth our current crop of strikers practising their finishing in training for hours on end? If the talent isn't there then it isn't there. I would like to see us work on a way of playing to create chances for whichever strikers we play. I.E. not keep crossing the ball in to the box hoping Mackie or Washington will get a head on it.