Just home...

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Re: Just home...

Post by QPR_John » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:37 pm

Systemsguy wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:36 am
Upgrade our strikers?

Sorry gents but this is what we've got till January...

I'm not complaining if we reach 50 points asap and next season's spot in the Championship is guaranteed.... Anything else is a bonus....

I moaned after the Brentford game as I paid hard earned money to watch that pile of shite....

Ipswich were not top opposition yesterday but for around 80 odd minutes it was really enjoyable football to watch and fit for #loftusroad100....

The usual panic stricken defence of a slender lead did us no favours at the end but with more luck we could have won it by 4 or 5
After last seasons experience maybe 50 points is not a guarantee

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:39 pm

Andy_N19 wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:17 pm
bigbobb wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:14 pm
However where I really differ is with your view of Mackie and Washington.

They do indeed run around and make nuisances of themselves but sadly they are not strikers at this level IMHO.
My view also which is why we brought in the 2 new lads who will eventually replace one
if not both of them.
Which new lads? Wheeler and Samuel are both wide players. If you were thinking of Smyth he's also a wide player who is seen as one for the future.

I can't see any of the summer signings replacing any of our strikers.

stainesranger
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by stainesranger » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:59 pm

Disagree on Washington. Think there's easily enough there to persevere with him. He has a lovely touch. More goals are necessary but I think he'll improve as the team does. Early to judge but I think he's a good player.

Esox Lucius
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Esox Lucius » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:34 pm

I would like to see Sylla given a run like Washington or Mackie have been given, I feel he has the goals in him that these two lack and there is enough support behind them to be more forgiving over Syllas inability to press as hard as them... although it was definitely improving before the break.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:46 pm

stainesranger wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:59 pm
Disagree on Washington. Think there's easily enough there to persevere with him. He has a lovely touch. More goals are necessary but I think he'll improve as the team does. Early to judge but I think he's a good player.
He's been at the club for over a year & a half, made 61 league apps & scored 9 goals, not even 1 in 6 conversation rate, so based on that he's due to get around 7 goals this season.

you think 61 games is to early to judge him?

stainesranger
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by stainesranger » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:02 pm

Yes, on the basis that no one has played particularly well over that period of time that he's got those 61 appearances. The club has struggled generally and the team has performed poorly. A lot of his appearances have been as a sub and/or as a wide man. He's only recently stepped up to this level. I think the experience he's gained during those games might stand him in good stead to keep on improving. Mass has certainly improved with championship experience (my motm yesterday btw). I think the touches he shows and the effort he puts in means he's worth persevering with. Already a decent option for us but I think he'll develop further. That's what I'm hoping anyway!

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:05 pm

westlondonlalala wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:46 pm
stainesranger wrote:
He's been at the club for over a year & a half, made 61 league apps & scored 9 goals, not even 1 in 6 conversation rate, so based on that he's due to get around 7 goals this season.

you think 61 games is to early to judge him?
Lala's stats are pretty telling. Even though Washington hasn't been played in his favoured position for much of his time with us, I've seen little to convince me he's able to make it in the Championship. Yesterday he showed how rarely he strikes the ball well when he has sight of goal. I don't think he did so once despite having at least three opportunities.

Ollie's trying to get the most out of him but ultimately it's not going to be enough. Strikers must score goals.

Barry
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Barry » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:30 pm

For me, this side is all about attitude. That's the reason Sylla won't be a regular starter, he won't even be first choice off the bench. Holloway wants players who will do what he asks of them immediately.

The two boys up front do exactly what is asked of them and that allows the rest of the side more time on the ball.

The days of needing a 20+ goal score ref to achieve are gone for now. Solid defence and midfields mean you don't lose games. I think Washington could get 15 this season but he needs to be starting every game.
QPR & Ireland

Andy_N19
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Andy_N19 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:57 pm

stainesranger wrote:
I think it's more goals essential or else he'll be on the bench soon.
The team needs more goals, good transfer window but a goalscorer is now
a priority.
Staff Benda Bilili

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:05 pm

Barry wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:30 pm
For me, this side is all about attitude. That's the reason Sylla won't be a regular starter, he won't even be first choice off the bench. Holloway wants players who will do what he asks of them immediately.

The two boys up front do exactly what is asked of them and that allows the rest of the side more time on the ball.

The days of needing a 20+ goal score ref to achieve are gone for now. Solid defence and midfields mean you don't lose games. I think Washington could get 15 this season but he needs to be starting every game.
He has started every league game this season and has 2 in 6.

Which if he Carries on with that ratio will be 15 in 45, your prediction exactly.

15 would have got him 8th on the last two seasons top scorer lists in the championship, which is not to shabby.

The fact overall since joining Qpr he only averages 1 in roughly 6 means he would only end up scoring around 7 goals over a full season.

The question you have to ask is if he was so prolific for Peterborough granted a division below and NI, then are we playing to his strengths or does he just find this level a little more testing & is getting found out, personally i think he needs multiple chances in a game before he tucks one away, he's probably scored as many goals from the spot as he has from open play.

I appreciate his work rate but given the choice I would have taken the money for him when Blackburn and two other unnamed clubs showed a strong interest in him shortly before JFH got the chop.

After attending LR for over two decades I could probably list atleast 50 strikers that we've had better than CW, that said he ranks way up there with the best for attitude and commitment - Shame attitude and work rate doesn't get you goals or he'd be on 30 a season.

Barry
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Barry » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:16 am

westlondonlalala wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:05 pm
Barry wrote:

Which if he Carries on with that ratio will be 15 in 45, your prediction exactly.

15 would have got him 8th on the last two seasons top scorer lists in the championship, which is not to shabby.

The fact overall since joining Qpr he only averages 1 in roughly 6 means he would only end up scoring around 7 goals over a full season.

The question you have to ask is if he was so prolific for Peterborough granted a division below and NI, then are we playing to his strengths or does he just find this level a little more testing & is getting found out, personally i think he needs multiple chances in a game before he tucks one away, he's probably scored as many goals from the spot as he has from open play.

I appreciate his work rate but given the choice I would have taken the money for him when Blackburn and two other unnamed clubs showed a strong interest in him shortly before JFH got the chop.

After attending LR for over two decades I could probably list atleast 50 strikers that we've had better than CW, that said he ranks way up there with the best for attitude and commitment - Shame attitude and work rate doesn't get you goals or he'd be on 30 a season.
Name the 50 strikers better than him over the last 20 years then!! 👍
QPR & Ireland

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:47 am

Barry wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:16 am
westlondonlalala wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:05 pm
Barry wrote:

Name the 50 strikers better than him over the last 20 years then!! 👍
This is totally random typing as they come into my head, no researching or googling.

Austin
Remy
Allen
Gallen
Ferdinand
Dichio
Kiwomya
Furlong
Blackstock
Zamora
Thomson
Spencer
Patrick Aggy
Cisse
Crouch
Ray Jones
Helgusson
Johnson
Nygaard
Cureton
Sheron
Simpson
Sylla
Yeni
Thorpe
Vine
Polter
Vargas
Steiner

I won't bother researching more, I think u catch my drift.

Esox Lucius
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Esox Lucius » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:50 am

Tjarron Chery?
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

Crabsandwich
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by Crabsandwich » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:38 am

If it's just about goalscoring, how can you rate Rowan Vine with 9 goals in 72 games? Andy Johnson 2 goals in 24? Bobby Zamora 14 in 92? Jamie Cureton 7 in 46?

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:48 am

Crabsandwich wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:38 am
If it's just about goalscoring, how can you rate Rowan Vine with 9 goals in 72 games? Andy Johnson 2 goals in 24? Bobby Zamora 14 in 92? Jamie Cureton 7 in 46?
Well Washingtons 9 in 61 will fit in nicely with the above, also how many of washingtons goals have been pens? Goals to games ratio from open play would make CW look even worse.

I don't remember the above mentioned ever taking a pen.