Just home...

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

Barry
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Just home...

Post by Barry » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:10 pm

My first game of the season, very good performance and 2-1 didn't really show the true difference between the two sides.

The defence looked strong against a side that had been fairly clinical in front of goal in the first few games. Ned and Baptistery looked solid, Robinson did well in what appeared to be a reasonably central role.

Very impressed with as Scowen, Mass and Freeman as a midfield three. Not much size but plenty of industry and effort. For me, Massimo Luongo and Luke Freeman were the two standout players on the pitch. That's the best I have seen Mass play in blue and white.

Up front, Washington looked lively and some really nice touches. Mackie was his usual bustling self, really well taken goal. He isn't the most talented player in the squad but his attitude and desire are exactly what every team needs at this level.

Ratings
Smithies - 7 - solid, quick off his line and generally good control of his defence. Always looking for a quick ball when he has it in his hands. Not much he could do for their goal.

Onuoha - 7 - good performance, no jittery moments stick out. Kept the opposition wrapped up.

Baptiste - 7/8 - pleasantly surprised, strong defensively and always looked for a positive outlet going forward.

Robinson - 7 - comfortable on the ball and decent in the air, could do a job at centre half based on this performance.

Bidwell - 6 - unspectacular, seemed to interchange with Robinson at times. Some disappointing crosses in good positions.

Pawel - 7 - such a strong runner and was playing well when he was subbed off.

Luongo- 9 - excellent and unlucky not to score a fantastic solo effort.

Freeman - 8 - class player. Vision, control, strength, good goal and all round very good day. £250k was an absolute steal.

Scowen- 8 - quick, clever, strong. Another fine signing based on this performance.

Washington - 8 - nippy with some lovely touches. Not sure lumping the ball to him and Mackie is so effective for his game? One great take down from a ball lumped out from the back.

Mackie - 8 - excellent finish, strong holding the ball up and must be a right pain in the arse to mark.

Subs -

LuaLua - 6 - won a lot of fouls at a time when we neded them.

Smith - 6 - instils fear in defences due to his sheer size. Could have scored a freaky goal but hit the bar from close range

Wheeler - 6 - so close to a glorious start with a goal from his first touch but dragged it wide,
QPR & Ireland

deadendjob
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Re: Just home...

Post by deadendjob » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:18 pm

Cheers for the report Barry

sohamranger
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by sohamranger » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:00 pm

A good report Barry..pretty much how I saw it .
I just loved the way we were determined to win the ball back after losing possession. Can't fault a single player today... thought Baptiste and Mass were outstanding. Roll on Millwall.

sohamranger
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by sohamranger » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:03 pm

Was a nightmare journey back to Cambs. .anyone else get stuck at Staples Corner... nightmare.

bigbobb
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by bigbobb » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:14 pm

Just goes to show how we all see different things when watching a game...

I should start by saying it was certainly a good performance against a poor Ipswich side. You can only beat what is in front of you and we thoroughly deserved the victory.

Onuoha was excellent throughout and deserves higher than 7.

Totally agree about Luongo, Freeman and Scowen who were all magnificent throughout.

However where I really differ is with your view of Mackie and Washington.

They do indeed run around and make nuisances of themselves but sadly they are not strikers at this level IMHO.

That may be unfair on Jamie as I'm not really sure if he was playing as a striker, but I would have taken him off fairly early on, partly because I was so worried about when the referee would decide that one of his "robust" and frequently late challenges was dangerous, but mostly because he is too slow thinking to cope. Bring him on in a game when you want to disrupt things I could understand as a tactic but a starter at this level?

and then we come to the industrious Conor...

Anyone needing evidence that he is not a Championship striker should look through a recording of this game and ask themselves how many goals some of the second tier strikers of our past would have taken.

We will need to unearth that 20+ goal a season man to move forward but we certainly have some gems, particularly in midfield, to exploit now who can paper over some of the cracks.
This time we'll get it right - just believe! :wink:

stainesranger
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by stainesranger » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:50 pm

I don't remember all these missed Washington chances. He plays well and forged a few half chances for himself. I may have missed the clear cut chances he should've scored

Greyhound
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Greyhound » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:18 pm

Both Washington and Mackie played well, don't understand the complaints at all. Mackie got right under the skin of their defenders, made good runs and I'm pretty sure he even managed to score. Conor was unlucky not to get one, but his movement and persistence were excellent. Both of them defend from the front superbly. The fact that they are not both going to score 20 goals this season - presumably - is a fairly lazy and uninformed criticism of any striker.

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:37 am

Greyhound wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:18 pm
Both Washington and Mackie played well, don't understand the complaints at all. Mackie got right under the skin of their defenders, made good runs and I'm pretty sure he even managed to score. Conor was unlucky not to get one, but his movement and persistence were excellent. Both of them defend from the front superbly. The fact that they are not both going to score 20 goals this season - presumably - is a fairly lazy and uninformed criticism of any striker.
What use is a striker to you that doesn't score?

I appreciate movement defending from the front heart desire passion BUT I'd swap all of that for a goalscorer.

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:18 am

We know Ollie wants the front two to press the opposition's defence forcing errors and breaking up their rhythm of play. Washington and Mackie do this better than our other strikers.

Washington has pace and Mackie some guile and experience, but in many ways they're the same rather limited player who won't score enough goals. Our midfield must make a good contribution to our goals for column. Freeman looks like he can score few, Luongo increasingly looks like he's ready to do so as well. Wheeler, who reached the mythic 20 goals for Exeter last season, may have been brought in with this in mind.

So Ollie must get 4 or 5 players scoring fairly regularly this season but, longer term, there can be little doubt an upgrade to the strike force will be needed.

Systemsguy
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Systemsguy » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:36 am

Upgrade our strikers?

Sorry gents but this is what we've got till January...

I'm not complaining if we reach 50 points asap and next season's spot in the Championship is guaranteed.... Anything else is a bonus....

I moaned after the Brentford game as I paid hard earned money to watch that pile of shite....

Ipswich were not top opposition yesterday but for around 80 odd minutes it was really enjoyable football to watch and fit for #loftusroad100....

The usual panic stricken defence of a slender lead did us no favours at the end but with more luck we could have won it by 4 or 5
2017/2018.... Keep Calm, no matter the season, we'll follow our team.....

Barry
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Barry » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:40 am

Mackie and Washington as a combination allow us to play in a way that helps the midfielders take control of the game. The pressure put on defences force mistakes but give our midfield time. I do think Washington has the ability to score a fair few goals but needs a bit of luck as well. 'You make your own luck' is a saying that comes to mind and Washington will come good.

The defence were good but Ipswich weren't great going fwd hence the marks. My seat in the lower loft wasn't the best to get a great view of them in the second half either!!
QPR & Ireland

T-Block
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by T-Block » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:36 am

Austin has clouded our judgement as he was, when not injured ,outstanding.However ,right now, at this time the criticism of mackie and Washington is valid.But we all have to realise that indeed is it until January and probably until next year.Times have changed we will not be spending big.I remember Les arriving from Hayes-his early performances were not encouraging.So maybe we should view it from this point of view: we will all have the joy of watching young conor growing into a 20 goals a season striker.As a fan I tell you there is nothing better.

volpone
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by volpone » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:39 am

We were just saying that Mackie was an impact player until he scored. 🤔

He can certainly finish when the ball is put in front of him. Felt him and Washington weren't close enough together - it was as if Ollie had told them to go wide to create space for Freeman and Luongo in the middle. We did fire a load of long balls at Washington, particularly in the first half.

Completely agree that their workrate helps the midfield but do we lose some creativity as a result?

Andy_N19
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Andy_N19 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:17 pm

bigbobb wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:14 pm
However where I really differ is with your view of Mackie and Washington.

They do indeed run around and make nuisances of themselves but sadly they are not strikers at this level IMHO.
My view also which is why we brought in the 2 new lads who will eventually replace one
if not both of them.
Staff Benda Bilili

Devonranger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Devonranger » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:07 pm

Nice thing for me is that these are QPR's players - not loans from other clubs and on a sensible budget. Players given time to develop as well.