Stoke and Brighton watching Onuoha

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

stainesranger
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Re: Stoke and Brighton watching Onuoha

Post by stainesranger » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:51 pm

All that being said, oddly I suppose, he's still my favourite player at the club! There's something very QPR about him and his loyalty/effort is unquestionable.

Nick_Hammersmith
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by Nick_Hammersmith » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:06 pm

stainesranger wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:51 pm
All that being said, oddly I suppose, he's still my favourite player at the club! There's something very QPR about him and his loyalty/effort is unquestionable.
Yeah, I don't dislike him. I guess if his game wasn't flawed he would be playing at a higher level
But, it's the same level as Rob Green, you just know there is a ricket in them somewhere

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:22 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:40 pm
It wouldn't have been as costly if Lua Lua didn't miss a gift; just as bad surely? or is just make sure we can slag off Chief? I bet the error wasn't his sole contribution to the game.
Hardly a gift ... He might have done better - perhaps taking it round the keeper to get a better angle rather than snatching at it. Having said that the keeper was out to him very quickly.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

Esox Lucius
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Esox Lucius » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:48 pm

Nick_Hammersmith wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:46 pm
Esox Lucius wrote:
It wouldn't have been as costly if Lua Lua didn't miss a gift; just as bad surely? or is just make sure we can slag off Chief? I bet the error wasn't his sole contribution to the game.
Please Esox! You would argue the grass is blue
Can you just admit that Ned is making at least one important mistake per game?
I am fully aware he makes one error a game, yes one error, only one. Could you please acknowledge then that he also is doing a lot more good during a game that brings into question why "supporters" seem only able to find fault with him and be oblivious to just how well he is playing for us. Against Reading he was up there with the rest for MOTM. Against Northampton he was far more assured in the middle of the defense than either of fellow CB's, made a number of significant tackles. He lacks dominance in the air the way Caulker does, and to an extent Lynch but more than makes up for that by his athleticism and covering ground in defence. He is generally the deepest lying defender and of course any error is more likely to be punished. In a statistical list of errors made by the players during the course of game I would bet my house that he is way down the list yet you, and others only ever notice that one error to the detriment of any good that has preceded or followed it. Do you have any idea what the state nickname of Kentucky is? and why that is so? :D
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

Esox Lucius
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Esox Lucius » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:50 pm

ZENITH R wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:22 pm
Esox Lucius wrote:
Hardly a gift ... He might have done better - perhaps taking it round the keeper to get a better angle rather than snatching at it. Having said that the keeper was out to him very quickly.
But you can't find any excuse for Chief? like a bobble as the ball reached him or a positive opinion about the incident as you have with Lua Lua's miss? Telling!

Spencer
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Spencer » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:03 pm

If Ned was guilty of conceding our first goal - having seen the replay if Lua Lua's miss.....then the miss was greater (IMO).
Easy to jump on back of player to make a scapegoat.....defensive errors seem to be more "highlighted" than not being able to act least hit the target from a few yard out.

Esox Lucius
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Esox Lucius » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:16 pm

Spencer wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:03 pm
If Ned was guilty of conceding our first goal - having seen the replay if Lua Lua's miss.....then the miss was greater (IMO).
Easy to jump on back of player to make a scapegoat.....defensive errors seem to be more "highlighted" than not being able to act least hit the target from a few yard out.
I agree, a bit of composure and we have all three points.
http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sp ... ed-1-1-qpr

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:26 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:50 pm
ZENITH R wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:22 pm
Esox Lucius wrote:
But you can't find any excuse for Chief? like a bobble as the ball reached him or a positive opinion about the incident as you have with Lua Lua's miss? Telling!
I don't have a problem with him as a defender. Yes, he makes mistakes, and sometimes they are costly. However, overall, I agree with you that on balance he does more good than harm. You won't find any negative comments about him today for me, or indeed this season.

I do though, think he is not captain material, and I believe there are other candidates for the job. This is something I did comment on several times last season. My opinion hasn't changed, though for whatever reason Ian Holloway doesn't agree with me. Since it his decision I'll accept it.

Mind you, "a bobble as the ball reached him"? It was in the air and not on the ground, so that one I'm afraid can be discounted.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

deadendjob
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by deadendjob » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:48 pm

Just watched the highlights, one cross in particular he had his arms away from his body in the box. Wednesday are a good team, but he should be at least getting the basic right.

Devonranger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Devonranger » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:11 pm

Perhaps as part of the team progression, the defensive lapses, and not just Ned's, will reduce.

Ned has stuck by us and I wouldn't be so quick to discard him.

BiscuitRanger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by BiscuitRanger » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:23 pm

I've commented many times that Ned has all the tools still to be a decent defender at this level but fear he is more of a confidence player than most. At times he lacks composure, but his true ability comes through when he reacts rather than has "time" to think.
I truly believe he would benefit by stepping down from the captaincy role.
Too early to make a judgement on this season's performance (team and individuals), especially as we've played against 10 men/lower league opposition for a significant portion of the 3 games to date.
Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out.

White Duck
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by White Duck » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:17 pm

A bobble?? :lol: :lol: :lol: There was nothing of the sort!

Ned's probably fourth best central defender at the club.
Lex Talionis........

bigbobb
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by bigbobb » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:45 pm

It seems too easy to blame Ned alone - it was an awkward ball with little reaction time and he missed it agreed.

But why is no one looking at why there was a player with the time to bring down the ball and pick his spot on the other side of the area?

Lynch, I think it was, left his player for no good reason and that is where I would be questioning the defensive organisation as that is something you can coach and not focus so much on individual events.
This time we'll get it right - just believe! :wink:

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:04 am

He's been a consistent performer over the years, a loyal servant, a good pro & mostly a good defender.

He is having a suicidle calamity moment nearly every game (although not sure a fresh air kick counts) is the wrong side of 30 & won't be getting any better that's for sure.

I'm split on him, on the one hand I'd be dissapointed if he left & think we could miss him on the other hand we could replace him & his cock ups would be a thing of the past that we could smile about.

The talk of him playing in the premier league is laughable in my opinion, can u imagine Neville & his chums in the studio at HT Jesus it doesn't bare thinking about.

He's not gonna cost us relegation and he's not gonna cost us promotion as we won't be challenging or flirting with either so I guess I'm not fussed either way if Ned stays or goes.

We are unbeaten after 3 games & have conceded 1 goal, we got Brentford in the Cup, let's just enjoy it whilst it lasts..

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:41 am

At the end of last season, given Onuoha's in the last year of his contract, I felt it would have been wise to see if we could get a fee for him. However, despite the much discussed major error per game, I'm now not so sure.

We're quite insecure at the back - Hall has a problematic injury, Caulker still has a big question mark against him, Baptiste as yet untried. Lynch and Perch have done okay but they don't always inspire confidence. Like it or not, our defence is structured around Onuoha at the moment - he plays centrally and usually plays deeper than the others. He also provides important continuity hardly missing a game all season.

If we were offered a big fee and had time to replace him, perhaps it would make sense. But, I can't see it happening.

So maybe it's time to accept he's not perfect, he will make mistakes and just appreciate the positives he brings to the team.