Stoke and Brighton watching Onuoha

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

kernowhoop
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Stoke and Brighton watching Onuoha

Post by kernowhoop » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:38 am

http://www.westlondonsport.com/features ... oha-linked

I don't like the sound of this.
Being realistic, who could we get that would be an improvement on Ned?
I know that Ned has his detractors, but, I noticed that, even after that mistake on Saturday, the supposedly slow defender managed to get goal-side of the threat before the shot came in.
It's simple. Score more goals than they do.

wrinklyhoop
2010/11 Sponsor
2010/11 Sponsor

Re: Stoke and Brighton watching Onuoha

Post by wrinklyhoop » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:55 am

Don't think he's been accused of being slow, but he does seem to have one brainfart per game. Luckily it hasn't cost us so far this season. Still think he's one of the best central defenders in the Championship, and not really surprised if he's being looked at by lower/middling Prem sides, who can't fish in the same pool as the big boys.

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:00 am

We have to hope they were put off by his one-a-game howler. In the Prem that would almost certainly lead to a goal.

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:10 am

Phew if they've actually watched him then they defo won't sign him..

Crabsandwich
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by Crabsandwich » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:12 am

There was a stat being bandied about last season that said that Ned made the most last-ditch tackles of any defender in the Championship... there is a school of thought that says if he didn't make so many ricks he wouldn't have to make so many last-ditch tackles.

He's an outstanding athlete, not the greatest footballer. Saturday's example was a shocker - from memory a free kick for us a few yards from the half way line with pretty much only Ned and Smithies in our half of the pitch somehow ended a few seconds later in a mad panic to keep the ball out of our own net.

I'd be sad to see him go as he's been an excellent servant to the club through some rollercoaster times, but if we can get a decent fee for him before his contract runs out there must be replacements in the lower leagues that our ace new scouts can find.

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:14 am

Egan Brentford no1 target he's mustard

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:26 am

He's in the last year of his contract. If these two clubs really are interested and make a bid of several million I don't think the club would be able to turn it down.

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:34 am

Makes the Baptiste signing a handy move if Ned does depart or even more maybe Ollie knows neds off & acted on it.

Esox Lucius
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Esox Lucius » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:43 am

westlondonlalala wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:34 am
Makes the Baptiste signing a handy move if Ned does depart or even more maybe Ollie knows neds off & acted on it.
Seems unlikely if the stories that he took a drop in wages to keep in line with QPR's fiscal policy just so he could carry on at QPR.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

Bear-Grills
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Bear-Grills » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:44 am

Danny Maddix regularly had a howler per game, and he was a fantastic defender whose worth no one ever questioned
If drink isn't the answer, you were asked the wrong question

Esox Lucius
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Esox Lucius » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:38 am

Bear-Grills wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:44 am
Danny Maddix regularly had a howler per game, and he was a fantastic defender whose worth no one ever questioned
It appears that you can only be a scapegoat if you make a mistake in a dangerous position for QPR. No-one seems too concerned about Scowens 2 mistakes per game so far or any other outfielder that has misplaced a pass, missed a tackle, shot wide in a goalscoring position etc. I suppose Chief has a lot of critics looking for his blood now Henry no longer figures in the side... until Perch makes a mistake or gets booked I suppose. Fans eh?

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:43 am

Fair comment Esox but as a defender he has a job to do. He'll probably never be criticised for missing the goal.

Esox Lucius
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Esox Lucius » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:46 am

dm wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:43 am
Fair comment Esox but as a defender he has a job to do. He'll probably never be criticised for missing the goal.
Well he scored quite a few more than some of our strikers and midfielders last season... but that doesn't fit the agenda does it?

deadendjob
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by deadendjob » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:58 am

Players in other positions are irrelevant. As a defender, your primary purpose is to stop the opponent from having a shot/scoring a goal. Everyone makes mistakes, it's the frequency that's the issue with Ned.

Obviously it won't always be Ned's fault - other players mistakes can be the catalyst, but lapses of concentration, bad passing, poor positioning and not doing the basics is down to the player.

He's absolutely been an excellent servant to the club, he has some excellent qualities, but if we can get a fee for a player in his 30s in the last year of his contract we'd be silly not to take it.

Spencer
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Spencer » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:19 am

Esox Lucius wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:38 am
Bear-Grills wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:44 am
It appears that you can only be a scapegoat if you make a mistake in a dangerous position for QPR. No-one seems too concerned about Scowens 2 mistakes per game so far or any other outfielder that has misplaced a pass, missed a tackle, shot wide in a goalscoring position etc. I suppose Chief has a lot of critics looking for his blood now Henry no longer figures in the side... until Perch makes a mistake or gets booked I suppose. Fans eh?
You seem quite a " clever " bloke, so not sure why this bothers you so much.
Happens at this club, other clubs, lower level ..everywhere.
Some fans for some reason, need to vent their anger at certain players.
I've stopped worrying about what our fans think and just concentrate on positive things.

The club/fans/players got greedy and we have now landed back on our arses... We are what we are, what we always have been and why I started supporting them many many season back.

I think Ned is a reasonable centre half, lacks authority and concentration (IMO).. But, has the QPR ethic , not a billy big bo...ks. For the harmony of the club, just the sort of player we need. But going forward, if he can command a fee and we can get a gem from the lower leagues..then so bit.