Alex Baptiste

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

Devonranger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Re: Alex Baptiste

Post by Devonranger » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:24 pm

Need to give the guy a chance - if he embraces the ethic of the team on Saturday and offers decent defensive cover, then why not.

Just as much chance that he will give everything for the shirt and I hope he comes up trumps as a signing.

Esox Lucius
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Esox Lucius » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:58 pm

Satch wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:53 pm
SheepRanger wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:38 am
Loads of experience, versatile and free - can't do much better than that.
He's still going to pick up a salary. We've got plenty of cover across the back, it's also a departure from our strategy of signing freebies. I'm also concerned as to what the intention for him is? I wouldn't want him replacing anyone who started on Saturday other than possibly Perch who was a contender for MOTM on Saturday. When we have a fit 3rd centre half I'd like to see Chief move over to the right side of the 3.

I really can't see the point in this one.
A clean sheet, 3 points... tough crowd.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

Son of Robin
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Son of Robin » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:35 pm

As long as its not Didier Baptiste. Remember him? Liverpool fans do.
Saint Jude, Hope of the Hopeless, Pray for me

http://kieranrobinson.com/tag/qpr/

KildarePete
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by KildarePete » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:56 pm

dm wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:21 pm
I see he shares the same script writer as just about every player we sign: "QPR is a massive club...I will give it my all...Loftus Road... it’s so tight and the crowd are on top of you"

Anyway, don't mind me Alex. Welcome to QPR. I hope you do really well.
He'll never be as bad as Robbie Keane who at signings has invoked his 'lifelong dream' to play for his 'boyhood team' several times now :?

Satch
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:24 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:58 pm
Satch wrote:
SheepRanger wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:38 am
Loads of experience, versatile and free - can't do much better than that.
He's still going to pick up a salary. We've got plenty of cover across the back, it's also a departure from our strategy of signing freebies. I'm also concerned as to what the intention for him is? I wouldn't want him replacing anyone who started on Saturday other than possibly Perch who was a contender for MOTM on Saturday. When we have a fit 3rd centre half I'd like to see Chief move over to the right side of the 3.

Yeah, he was decent, i'm not calling for him to be dropped, but it's still a position up for debate, i wouldn't want to see Wszołek or any of the other central defender dropped for him Baptiste. As above, i really don't see the point in this signing.

Nick_Hammersmith
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by Nick_Hammersmith » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:39 pm

ZENITH R wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:16 pm
UxbridgeR wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:14 pm
Tough one to get excited about.

Apparently he can play anywhere across the back four, although at 5' 11", he's not especially tall for a central defender. I suppose that's less of an issue if we play 3 centre-backs. Disappointing if it means Furlong is pushed further out of the mix at right back.

He's a "character" though woohoo
Neither was Paul Parker and look how that turned out.
We didn't sign Paul Parker at 31 though, did we?

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:54 pm

Satch wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:24 pm
Esox Lucius wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:58 pm
Satch wrote:

Yeah, he was decent, i'm not calling for him to be dropped, but it's still a position up for debate, i wouldn't want to see Wszołek or any of the other central defender dropped for him Baptiste. As above, i really don't see the point in this signing.
Nobody is saying he's been signed to replace anyone, it's a long old season & we have injury prone centre backs in Lynch & Hall.

He was free & Ollie knows what he's getting, I'm not sure why your so against it, he ticks a lot of boxes as a squad member. Had he not of broken his leg he may have been an ever present in Middlesbrough's promotion season, Blackpool adored him he gained promotion with them Preston fans apparantly rate him from last season, I personally have seen him quite a few times and he was mustard (fair enough going back a bit).

Had we paid 2m for a new CB I could understand as it would be questionable if he will play regularly but a tried and tested on a free I think is a no brainer.

Devonranger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Devonranger » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:13 pm

I'm with Wests on this ^^^^^^.

Bit of cover across the back and maybe funds freed up for another signing or two in areas we do need them.

Devonranger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Devonranger » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:18 pm

I was going to add that we have had a few players come in and on the face of it taken the club's money for very little in return - let's not let them prejudice our judgement on new lads coming in before they have put the shirt on.

beaglebum
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by beaglebum » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:48 pm

The way I see it, we now have a fairly strong back 4. Onouha, Lynch, Hall, Caulker, Baptiste, Perch, Furlong, Bidwell, Robinson. Manning and Mackie as cover and a few of the younger lads too. That's not bad for a potential struggling side is it. Competition for places across the back will be a good thing.

Satch
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:42 pm

beaglebum wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:48 pm
The way I see it, we now have a fairly strong back 4. Onouha, Lynch, Hall, Caulker, Baptiste, Perch, Furlong, Bidwell, Robinson. Manning and Mackie as cover and a few of the younger lads too. That's not bad for a potential struggling side is it. Competition for places across the back will be a good thing.
Does that list look significantly weaker without Baptiste? It's still cash we're spending and i'm not convinced he provides cover right across the back. Maybe he'll turn out to be a gem, but it still seems a bit pointless.

(I also have some concerns about Holloway feeling compelled to play his signings above other people's and us seeing him ahead of more worthy candidates. But hopefully, i'm well off the mark on that one).

QPR1976
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by QPR1976 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:49 pm

Forget Manning & Mackie.

Take the 9 you list to start with, then add cover with Scowen (played RB in a play off final)
&
Cousins when fit (ask any Charlton fans where his best position is.)....... they'll say RB !

That should cover us defensively.

Baptiste is a good addition. Primarily a CB bearing in mind Olly had decided on 3 CB's and Hall is injury probe and Caulker could fall off the rails again at any time. He can also cover RB. Cost F'all. What's not to like ? Give him a chance.

beaglebum
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by beaglebum » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:56 pm

Satch wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:42 pm
beaglebum wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:48 pm
Does that list look significantly weaker without Baptiste? It's still cash we're spending and i'm not convinced he provides cover right across the back. Maybe he'll turn out to be a gem, but it still seems a bit pointless.

(I also have some concerns about Holloway feeling compelled to play his signings above other people's and us seeing him ahead of more worthy candidates. But hopefully, i'm well off the mark on that one).
No, but it looks stronger with him in it, especially if he forms a good understanding with his CB partners. When you look at some of the best centre backs we've had at QPR such as those in the prem days (McDonald, Peacock, Maddix, Yates) were they individually that good? Or was it the understanding and organisation at the back that made them good? (Don't get me wrong, these players were fantastic for us and deserve their place in our history).

Esox Lucius
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Esox Lucius » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:26 pm

Steve Yates over Paul Parker? :shock:
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

beaglebum
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by beaglebum » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:10 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:26 pm
Steve Yates over Paul Parker? :shock:
Paul Parker was the old Div 1. I just used the players who I remembered from 93-94 :)