Alex Baptiste

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

User avatar
trevsinclair85
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger
Posts: 1077
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:02 pm

Re: Alex Baptiste

Post by trevsinclair85 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:28 pm

The signing of Baptiste feels like a contingency to me. Get him in on a free, and get Caulker out of the door. Baptiste as backup cover for centre back and right back, on lower wages than Caulker, whilst shipping Caulker off.

However, that would only work if we ACTUALLY manage to shift Caulker on.

For me, the 3 who have to go are:

Caulker
JET
Elk

You may see Sylla go also (although I would be disappointed if he did, as I like him).

User avatar
deadendjob
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger
Posts: 4940
Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 2:56 pm
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

Re: Alex Baptiste

Post by deadendjob » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:29 pm

dm wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:21 pm
I see he shares the same script writer as just about every player we sign: "QPR is a massive club...I will give it my all...Loftus Road... it’s so tight and the crowd are on top of you"

Anyway, don't mind me Alex. Welcome to QPR. I hope you do really well.
I don't think he deviated from the generic script at all.
Image

User avatar
dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007
Posts: 12154
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:21 pm
Location: Just over the border...

Re: Alex Baptiste

Post by dm » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:51 pm

deadendjob wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:29 pm
dm wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:21 pm
I see he shares the same script writer as just about every player we sign: "QPR is a massive club...I will give it my all...Loftus Road... it’s so tight and the crowd are on top of you"

Anyway, don't mind me Alex. Welcome to QPR. I hope you do really well.
I don't think he deviated from the generic script at all.
I know I'm being a bit of a moany git but it really is generic isn't it. I'm sure every player says pretty well the same thing at every club they join. I just wish they'd be a bit more genuine. After all, nobody really believes this guff they spout, do they?

User avatar
westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 5851
Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 7:07 pm

Re: Alex Baptiste

Post by westlondonlalala » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:30 pm

To be fair dm he's played at Loftus Road probably a few times so he knows the stands are practically on the pitch he obviously felt the atmosphere & he said he'll give his all.

What exactly is not genuine about that or what sort of things would you prefer him to say?

Satch
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger
Posts: 2866
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:34 am
Location: New York City

Re: Alex Baptiste

Post by Satch » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:39 pm

McDonald, Maddix and Peacock were all very good centre halves and being able to organise and form a partnership is the mark of a good defender. For the record i'm not saying Baptiste is a bad player either. It just seems an unnecessary addition providing more cover in an area we already have pretty well covered. It's still salary on a player we didn't need who isn't offering something for the future. But i might be completely wrong and he'll be exactly what we need, i just don't see it at this point.

User avatar
UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 9181
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:45 pm

Re: Alex Baptiste

Post by UxbridgeR » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:41 pm

Saying QPR are a "massive" club doesn't strike me as particularly genuine to be honest.

But yes, you're right, if players told the truth, fans would be even less happy.

"[Insert team name here] are a Mickey Mouse club and this is a right comedown for me, but they were offering the most money and the local nightlife is good, so it'll do until something better comes along. Where's the nearest golf course ? "
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

User avatar
dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007
Posts: 12154
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:21 pm
Location: Just over the border...

Re: Alex Baptiste

Post by dm » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:02 pm

Don't mind me Lala. As I said I was being a moany git.

I'd have chuckle if a player said something along the lines that Ux quotes just because it's likely to be far closer to the truth the usual line they trot out.

User avatar
westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 5851
Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 7:07 pm

Re: Alex Baptiste

Post by westlondonlalala » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:05 pm

Satch wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:39 pm
McDonald, Maddix and Peacock were all very good centre halves and being able to organise and form a partnership is the mark of a good defender. For the record i'm not saying Baptiste is a bad player either. It just seems an unnecessary addition providing more cover in an area we already have pretty well covered. It's still salary on a player we didn't need who isn't offering something for the future. But i might be completely wrong and he'll be exactly what we need, i just don't see it at this point.
Does every signing have to be with the future in mind, he's got a two year deal & hopefully will do a decent job right here and now, we survived by two points I'd say the present is more important than the future for Qpr at the mo.

Also we have three recognised CB's at the club & two right backs (one the gaffer clearly doesn't fancy) so that's basicly one.

It's a 46 game season, Hall & Lynch are injury prone, That leaves only Perch to fill in, i'd say signing a versatile defender who can play in a back three or at right back is a decent move.

User avatar
westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 5851
Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 7:07 pm

Re: Alex Baptiste

Post by westlondonlalala » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:10 pm

dm wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:02 pm
Don't mind me Lala. As I said I was being a moany git.

I'd have chuckle if a player said something along the lines that Ux quotes just because it's likely to be far closer to the truth the usual line they trot out.
I totally agree with the kind that we signed in that horror period in the Prem, Ux got that lot spot on.

But I think things have settled down a bit now not sure Baptiste is here for a pay day, I doubt we're breaking the bank to pay his wages.

old pauline
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger
Posts: 3032
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:06 pm
Location: Wimbledon
Contact:

Re: Alex Baptiste

Post by old pauline » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:20 pm

Maybe he will be useful in the same way that Karl henry was. Speaking of which, where has he ended up ? I assume he got on his bike and got himself sorted out ?
Come on you Sooopa ........

User avatar
Rbee
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger
Posts: 4363
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:01 pm
Location: Bedfordshire

Re: Alex Baptiste

Post by Rbee » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:03 pm

Satch wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:53 pm
SheepRanger wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:38 am
Loads of experience, versatile and free - can't do much better than that.
He's still going to pick up a salary. We've got plenty of cover across the back, it's also a departure from our strategy. I'm also concerned as to what the intention for him is? I wouldn't want him replacing anyone who started on Saturday other than possibly Perch. When we have a fit 3rd centre half i'd like to see Chief move over to the right side of the 3.

I really can't see the point in this one.
By strategy do you mean signing young players? No doubt we will continue in that vein however 100% of our signings can't be younger players can they, you need some experience in your squad.

I can see the point, Hall is going to be out for how long? When he does come back will he able to play 30+ games? If not and then another central defender picks up a long term injury we would be struggling.

Could this signing also mean we still hope to offload Caulker?

stainrod's elbow
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger
Posts: 1093
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:54 am
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: Alex Baptiste

Post by stainrod's elbow » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:13 pm

We definitely do need that CB cover - Chief needs a rocket up his arse at times (or at least a bit of competition), Hall seems continuously tendonitic like he spends his time off jumping about on hot coals, and Caulker may or may not be able to be rehabilitated. (Personally, I want to keep him, try to get at least the one decent year out of the end of his contract if we can that he surely owes us, as we're likely to be writing off the best part of £8m either way.)

I hope the other one or two will be a midfield playmaker and a zippy winger/fox in the box. But I'm not holding my breath for either.
"There's a blue light/in my best friend's room" -Mazzy Star

whittonhoop
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger
Posts: 562
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:23 pm
Location: Whitton

Re: Alex Baptiste

Post by whittonhoop » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:06 am

I thought Cesar deviated when he joined:

1) i always wanted to play in the Premier League
2) i always wanted to live in London

He then maybe should have added I always wanted to earn £90k a week!!! (Maybe too honest)

User avatar
dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007
Posts: 12154
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:21 pm
Location: Just over the border...

Re: Alex Baptiste

Post by dm » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:57 am

old pauline wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:20 pm
Maybe he will be useful in the same way that Karl henry was. Speaking of which, where has he ended up ? I assume he got on his bike and got himself sorted out ?
He's a still free agent. I would have thought there would be a number of lower league clubs wanting his, albeit limited, services. I guess there's time yet.

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 5824
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:35 pm
Location: Reading

Re: Alex Baptiste

Post by QPR_John » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:16 am

UxbridgeR wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:41 pm
Saying QPR are a "massive" club doesn't strike me as particularly genuine to be honest.

But yes, you're right, if players told the truth, fans would be even less happy.

"[Insert team name here] are a Mickey Mouse club and this is a right comedown for me, but they were offering the most money and the local nightlife is good, so it'll do until something better comes along. Where's the nearest golf course ? "
Not massive in the normal accepted meaning but looking at punching above your weight I think over the years we can be considered massive. Not many teams our size have achieved what we have. Not many teams our size can boast of the players we have had.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 21 guests