Washington ... 20 goals Striker

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Re: Washington ... 20 goals Striker

Post by dm » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:30 am

I would tend to agree with you about Washington big Bob, and I have a feeling this will be a defining season for him.

He was playing in the conference just 4 years ago so has come a long way in a relatively short space of time. However, since he's been with us he's looked short on confidence due in part to being played in positions that don't help him. Perhaps playing in a front 2 will help him score goals, as we saw on Saturday, and so gain the confidence he needs.

At 25 he'll be approaching the peak of his abilities. Can he improve to become a Championship striker? I have my doubts as I haven't yet seen from him the level of finishing needed to be a Championship striker. But he seems an honest and willing lad, so it would be reasonable to give him a run in the side for him to show he can make it.

Should Ollie sign another striker he'll have even greater competition for a starting berth. He needs to make the most of this new opportunity.

Spanish Ranger
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by Spanish Ranger » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:59 pm

bigbobb wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:23 pm
Careful Arthur - we could end up having a proper discussion about varying views of footballers if we're not careful instead of just saying "you're wrong"!

One of the great things about football is that we can all see the same thing happen yet we will attribute different "values" to it unlike with sports where it is easier to put exact values on actions such as perhaps cricket.

I see Washington as someone putting in the effort who will occasionally get things just right to create or take a chance during a game, but the difference between strikers at different levels is in how many of those opportunities they create or convert.

In yesterdays game there were a number of chances and (ignoring penalties which are a separate action - one of the best penalty takers ever was Venables but you would never describe him as a striker) how many of those would a Messi have taken, as opposed to a Gallen, as opposed to a Patrick Agyemang...

Time, and the statistics, will tell us who is correct but at this moment in time I'd prefer to see us using Sylla or trying to find an alternative because I do feel we will get found out as the season progresses.
Agree with you on this BB. I like Washingtoon a lot for his attitude and enthusiasm, the way he will chase anything and play wherever the manager ask (apparently without complaining), but I really don't think he can convert to a 20 goal a season man, even playing in his favoured position. Would love to be wrong but just think his finishing isn't that great.

stainesranger
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by stainesranger » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:25 pm

His goal return has not been good enough yet but I think he's a good player. I don't think he's highly rated for nothing. His touch and control of the ball at pace is impressive. When he is involved he tends to be doing good work, it's just that tendency he has for being anonymous for large parts of the game.