Washington ... 20 goals Striker

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

Bevan
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Washington ... 20 goals Striker

Post by Bevan » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:12 am

2 goals down, only another 18 to go!

THIS IS HIS TIME

Esox Lucius
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Re: Washington ... 20 goals Striker

Post by Esox Lucius » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:27 am

He'll need regular service as he was a bit Andy Cole yesterday; a 1 in 5 conversion rate ;-)
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

Devonranger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Devonranger » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:22 pm

Hopefully a sign of this lad developing - wasn't too long ago he was playing non-league.

If he continues to develop over the season can only be good for the club and team.

Nick_Hammersmith
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by Nick_Hammersmith » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:27 pm

He took the penalty well considering how long he had to think about it

Devonranger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Devonranger » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:32 pm

Was thinking the same thing - good composure given the circumstances - tucked it away very nicely.

bigbobb
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by bigbobb » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:41 pm

sorry - I want to stay positive but, while he puts in lots of effort, I feel that he simply isn't a Championship level striker at the moment and I saw nothing yesterday to make me think that will change - although happy to be proved wrong.
This time we'll get it right - just believe! :wink:

flatfoot
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by flatfoot » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:27 pm

bigbobb wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:41 pm
sorry - I want to stay positive but, while he puts in lots of effort, I feel that he simply isn't a Championship level striker at the moment and I saw nothing yesterday to make me think that will change - although happy to be proved wrong.
Thank the Lord someone is still keeping the negative beacon alight..

Getting a bit happy clappy on this board today...

Bit unnerving.

On a similar note - the bookies are holding their nerve on us 75/1 to win the league. Get on!

bigbobb
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by bigbobb » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:45 pm

flatfoot wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:27 pm
bigbobb wrote:

Bit unnerving.

On a similar note - the bookies are holding their nerve on us 75/1 to win the league. Get on!
:D I do want to keep some positivity going but felt the need for a little bit of realism to stop us getting carried away.

As someone pointed out as we were walking away yesterday "remember Leeds game last season?"...

Systemsguy
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Systemsguy » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:10 pm

bigbobb wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:45 pm
flatfoot wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:27 pm
bigbobb wrote:

Bit unnerving.

:D I do want to keep some positivity going but felt the need for a little bit of realism to stop us getting carried away.

As someone pointed out as we were walking away yesterday "remember Leeds game last season?"...
I think the Leeds scoreline last season flattered us a little.... That yesterday was an excellent performance that didn't...

Just to keep the negative beacon burning brightly however 3 points towards safety... :wink:
2017/2018.... Keep Calm, no matter the season, we'll follow our team.....

QPR-NI
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by QPR-NI » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:33 pm

bigbobb wrote:
Washington has been excellent playing international football for NI.

Ridiculous to suggest he can't be a Championship level player.

Play him in his proper position and he will consistantly deliver.

QPR1976
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by QPR1976 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:43 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:27 am
He'll need regular service as he was a bit Andy Cole yesterday; a 1 in 5 conversion rate ;-)

Are you really suggesting he had 10 chances yesterday ?
I know he missed 1 sitter & badly, but I don't recall the other 6 or 7.......

QPR1976
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by QPR1976 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:46 pm

Nick_Hammersmith wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:27 pm
He took the penalty well considering how long he had to think about it

He did the right thing, wandered off, had a drink & a chat then focused, rather than stading over the ball.
Made me laugh when people didn't get 6 mins added time.
5 subs, a goal & that pen must have added 6+

QPR1976
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by QPR1976 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:50 pm

bigbobb wrote:

Well his penalty was excellently taken..... I'll settle for that.

ActonArthur
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by ActonArthur » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:20 pm

bigbobb wrote:
At some point in the second half showed a marvellous first touch.. that was class. Really keeps his eye on the ball and composed during the Moment of maximum opportunity. I don't ageee BigBob..

bigbobb
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by bigbobb » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:23 pm

ActonArthur wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:20 pm
bigbobb wrote:
At some point in the second half showed a marvellous first touch.. that was class. Really keeps his eye on the ball and composed during the Moment of maximum opportunity. I don't ageee BigBob..
Careful Arthur - we could end up having a proper discussion about varying views of footballers if we're not careful instead of just saying "you're wrong"!

One of the great things about football is that we can all see the same thing happen yet we will attribute different "values" to it unlike with sports where it is easier to put exact values on actions such as perhaps cricket.

I see Washington as someone putting in the effort who will occasionally get things just right to create or take a chance during a game, but the difference between strikers at different levels is in how many of those opportunities they create or convert.

In yesterdays game there were a number of chances and (ignoring penalties which are a separate action - one of the best penalty takers ever was Venables but you would never describe him as a striker) how many of those would a Messi have taken, as opposed to a Gallen, as opposed to a Patrick Agyemang...

Time, and the statistics, will tell us who is correct but at this moment in time I'd prefer to see us using Sylla or trying to find an alternative because I do feel we will get found out as the season progresses.