Couple more players coming in this week- Olly post-Reading

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

deadendjob
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Couple more players coming in this week- Olly post-Reading

Post by deadendjob » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:55 am

Interesting comments from Olly. He's revealed Conor keeps asking to be played in a front two (no surprises there really) and also that we have two players coming in this week.
"Couple more coming in next week, I can confidently say that."
https://www.qpr.co.uk/videos/interviews ... g-victory/

My guess would be Hoban and possibly Omar Bogle? Bogles been linked, reportedly had a falling out with Wigan and wasn't on their bench today...

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Re: Couple more players coming in this week- Olly post-Reading

Post by westlondonlalala » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:44 am

Wow Bogle is 6ft 3in, quick aswell.

Jesus we don't sign tall quick strikers, we sign tall statues or quick dwarfs upfront but this could be a first, fingers crossed.

Defo need another CB, so Hoban would be a welcome addition even if he is a sicknote.

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:55 am

If we do bring in a striker I can see Sylla going. With Mackie starting ahead of him yesterday and Ollie not a fan of his, why would he want to stay?

Devonranger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Devonranger » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:22 am

The three players we have been linked with recently are Bogle, Hoban and Yiadom of Barnsley.

Given the system yesterday, Bogle makes sense as Smith and Sylla are not necessarily suited to the pressing game and asking Jamie Mackie to play every game would be a big ask.

Hoban would give extra cover now we seem to be playing three centre halves and I seem to recall he is a left footed so another option to Lynch?

Yiadom can play either full back/wing back position but the £2m plus fee is likely to see us ruled out here, although he would give us a decent option for either wide role.

SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by SheepRanger » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:14 am

westlondonlalala wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:44 am
Wow Bogle is 6ft 3in, quick aswell.

Jesus we don't sign tall quick strikers, we sign tall statues or quick dwarfs upfront but this could be a first, fingers crossed.

Defo need another CB, so Hoban would be a welcome addition even if he is a sicknote.
It would be sick if all our sicknotes are sick at the same time.

KildarePete
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by KildarePete » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:42 pm

Is this Omar Bogle signing likely or just a Twitter rumor? I see his old manager at Grimsby Town was ex-QPR player, Marcus Bignot who was signed by Ollie 3 times during his career.

Satch
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:59 pm

I like Bogle and hoped we'd would sign him when he first left Grimsby, not at the expense of Sylla though initially at least. If you want a rotation of 4 strikers, he and Sylla as the big options, Washington and hopefully an upgrade ahead of him at some point would be a pretty good strike force for this level.

I expect a CB is probably on their way, if Holloway is confident he's going to mostly play 3 CBs then we'll need cover. I certainly can't see the need for spending 2m on someone to play on the right. I'm more concerned about the left side and another forward. Whilst our squad has it's limitations i don't see which positions we're going to genuinely strengthen with our budget, other than some additional strength in depth at CB and upfront.

deadendjob
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by deadendjob » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:00 pm

KildarePete wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:42 pm
Is this Omar Bogle signing likely or just a Twitter rumor? I see his old manager at Grimsby Town was ex-QPR player, Marcus Bignot who was signed by Ollie 3 times during his career.
All rumours at this point. Bogle's been linked with us for awhile and his fee is reportedly around the £800k mark - making him in our price bracket.
There are a few other clubs interested - Bristol City for one.

Yiadom - the RB we've been interested in for awhile, is worth £2m - which makes him less likely.

Given we're in need of a striker, he's in our price range, we've been linked and he was left out of the Wigan squad - it makes the Bogle rumour look more likely. Of course, it could be completely wrong and we could end up with signing another player or no-one at all.

Devonranger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Devonranger » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:52 pm

Alex Baptiste from Middlesborough is the latest name linked and reports are saying "we are close to signing him".

Played under Holloway at Blackpool maybe so could have legs in the story? 31 year old so goes against the signings we have looked at in recent times.

deadendjob
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by deadendjob » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:57 pm

Devonranger wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:52 pm
Alex Baptiste from Middlesborough is the latest name linked and reports are saying "we are close to signing him".

Played under Holloway at Blackpool maybe so could have legs in the story? 31 year old so goes against the signings we have looked at in recent times.
Interesting. He's a RB as well. If we're going to use Caulker this season, I don't really see the need for Hoban.

Caulker, Lynch, Ned, Hall at CB is sufficient.
Perch & Bidwell will suffice as cover for a back 3 as well.

Just seen Tone's tweeted we're getting 1 or 2 - so sounds like Olly's comments may have legs

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:43 pm

I'm not too keen on the Baptiste rumour. He's something of a journeyman who was on loan to Preston last season and on loan to Sheff Utd the season before. At 31 his best years are definitely behind him.

Satch
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:26 am

dm wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:43 pm
I'm not too keen on the Baptiste rumour. He's something of a journeyman who was on loan to Preston last season and on loan to Sheff Utd the season before. At 31 his best years are definitely behind him.
I don't see the point of this one.

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:40 am

He's fit as a flea & a class act, well he was when I last watched him play, if he's anything close to that then he could be very useful, he's versatile & on a 1yr deal he would do a job for us.

Esox Lucius
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Esox Lucius » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:53 am

Another JET?
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:28 am

Baptiste has had 4 permanent clubs in 15yrs, not sure how you get journeyman out of that.

I've seen him play quite a few times and he was solid and did his job, nothing fancy just did what he was supposed to do, he's quick and athletic bit like loyd dyer but I'm pretty sure he can play CB aswell, I know perch can play CB so it might be to free Perch up & put Bap RB.

I think he's decent and knows the division inside out doesn't need a work permit, speaks English won't miss home, knows the gaffer & fits our budget wage wise I would imagine.

Would be a good squad member, what's not to like.