Match Thread: Queens Park Rangers FC v Reading

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

Albert Steptoe
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Re: Match Thread: Queens Park Rangers FC v Reading

Post by Albert Steptoe » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:01 pm

A fantastic performance. Scowen was my MOTM for what he brought to our shape, but Freeman had a stormer too. Jesus, even Perch looked class today! :shock:

trevsinclair85
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by trevsinclair85 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:10 pm

Freeman man of the match for me, he was outstanding.

Actually, outstanding doesn't do his performance justice.

Thought Scowen played well. They all played really well.

Bear-Grills
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Bear-Grills » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:17 pm

Luongo was mustard as well
If drink isn't the answer, you were asked the wrong question

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:24 pm

Jesus sounds like I missed a cracker, made up with the result and player ratings, gutted I wasn't there.

Can anyone inform me of how Mackie got on?

Bear-Grills
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Bear-Grills » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:39 pm

westlondonlalala wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:24 pm
Jesus sounds like I missed a cracker, made up with the result and player ratings, gutted I wasn't there.

Personally I thought he had a good game. Constantly harassing and upsetting their players and running tirelessly -in a "headless chicken" manner occasionally- to try and close them down. He lifts the crowd and I think the other players generally pick up on his positive attitude. However, I am a Mackie fan so I expect others will have seen it differently!

Lucky to avoid a booking today though in my opinion.
If drink isn't the answer, you were asked the wrong question

KildarePete
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by KildarePete » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:40 pm

westlondonlalala wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:24 pm

He got great praise from the commentators for his contribution and a loud applause from the LR crowd when he was subbed off. During the game, he seemed to doing a lot of gesturing / clapping his teammates / generally getting in the face of his markers. He did do a hell of a lot of chasing and pressing to be fair. But from my seat in front of the PC, he lacked a bit of quality / control in his final product. Butchered one real good one-to-one chance in the first half.

Maybe I'm being hard on him since he's only come back from a long string of injuries. Hopefully he will push on in this season and become a useful energetic player in this squad.

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:42 pm

Cheers guys.

Just saw smithies save at 1-0, wow.

Satch
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:00 pm

Freeman MoM for me, nice to see he was able to play properly in a midfield 3 rather than further forward. That increases our options a fair bit. The side had a nice balance to it.
Andy_N19 wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:54 pm
Satch wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:40 pm
Andy_N19 wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:20 pm
Which is why we need to get in another attacking resource before the transfer window closes.
I don't think anyone is denying this, it doesn't alter the fact that we may not have the cash to improve on what we have. I'd like to have seen today's team with Sylla's presence in the box.
There are 2 points here; first one is would Sylla have snapped up the half chances that Washington fluffed
during the match? Possibly yes. Second point is I agree with the frugal approach from the club on spending, but we can find
gems to push our strikers, James Collins at Luton might be worth a punt, there are others.
I think his ability in the air would have been a bonus and would be against other teams, especially where needing Mackie to lead the press will be less integral to the game plan.

sohamranger
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by sohamranger » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:48 pm

We totally bossed the game from start to finish. . 5-0 wouldn't have been flattering.
But could've been so much different without Smithies wonder save at 1-0

sohamranger
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by sohamranger » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:55 pm

Maybe I'm being hard on him since he's only come back from a long string of injuries. Hopefully he will push on in this season and become a useful energetic player in this squad.
[/quote]

I thought Mackie wasn't far behind Freeman in his contribution. .thought he harassed and bullied the Reading back line..he might be slowing a bit but set the tone that seemed to spread throughout the team.
Was a suprise to see him on the team sheet ahead of Smith but Holloway must be applauded for putting him in.

LanCat
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by LanCat » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:22 pm

With the midfield hunting Reading down as a pack plus Washington and Mackie keeping their 5 man defence busy by snapping at them the whole time Reading never got the chance to settle and made error after error and turned the ball over to us all the time. Mackie was perhaps lucky not to get a booking, the Reading team and fans were looking for it, but his pressurizing was key to keeping them out of the game.

Esox Lucius
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Esox Lucius » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:38 pm

It was hard to pick a MOTM today as there was a solid performance from everyone and you'd have to really think hard to point out errors by the players, only Ned's "one a game" and Scowen's two over hit passes in short order come to mind. I think a lot of eyes were on Scowen & Freeman today and (probably) rightly seem the best candidates for MOTM but I would have to go for either Luongo who seemed to absolutely thrive on the other two being around him or Perch who had a blinder today and almost scored. Wszolek's work seemed to mostly unnoticed by those I spoke to after the game, which is a shame and he has been consistently one of our better players since he joined. Smithies had one save to make and what a save! IMO if the fuzzy fakes had scored then it could gone against us but I think that was the moment they knew it wasn't their day. As mentioned elsewhere, we should have been 3-0 up at half time and despite two, Conor doesn't look anything like the strikers we have had in recent years, Austin, Cissé, Remy etc. I am aware the cost was different to those mentioned but he really highlighted what you get for the money etc. Sylla looksa better finisher but he doesn't have that tireless running in him that Conor does. 8.5/10 today for the team and 10/10 for Holloway's tactics and substitutions.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

Devonranger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Devonranger » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:45 pm

Seen a couple of comments in the media in recent days - both from Dave Mc and West London Sport - confirmed today that Mackie partnered Washington up top partly for their closing of the opposition, and this proved a key part today - think Holloway quoted both strikers as being our best defenders - some fans seem.to scorn this over on WATRB but this doesn't mean the team can't play great football - what it does give you is greater unity and strength defensively.

The other feature was the WLS preview - talking about players acquired like Luongo and Washington being those who would develop over a few seasons - maybe today was a small indicator that this might be the case.

Got a warm feeling inside tonight.

Giorgio
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Giorgio » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:52 pm

...very good match with plenty of positive points....
We played as a team, all together, pressing continuously. Two or three Rs running to disturb and tackles their possession,
that taking to many balls retrieved ...
At first we were puzzled reading the starting 11...CW only striker up front and no tall man on his side...
and in fact we lost all the high balls...but....the news is that we played mostly with the ball on the table...and fast
creating chances and problems to their defense.....only down..we did not score as we should have....
first half should have been 3 or 4 nil.....and in these cases you always think that's we are going to be punished...
first chance on their side..and goal....instead we scored the second then controlled most of the remaining match....
That said...a very good and promising start of the season....last season we got a 3-0 vs Leeds but it was a very
different match, with the goals coming from episodes and not as the result of good football as it was today...
As I said....pressing...ball back and run immediately to their box....

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:22 am

So am I correct in thinking Smith played nearly every game in pre-season scored most games but didn't even get on yesterday?

Damn he must be pissed off.