Match Thread: Queens Park Rangers FC v Reading

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

old pauline
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Re: Match Thread: Queens Park Rangers FC v Reading

Post by old pauline » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:01 am

Credit where credit is due. I'm sure I, along with many many others, will be ready to vent my spleen on here when I don't like what I see, so well done to everyone associated with the club for such a good start. The best thing was that we looked well organised tactically, physically and mentally. It was great that we kept the same midfield and defence throughout the game (Bidwell getting injured aside) and there didn't appear to be any unnecessary fiddling from Ollie at any stage. I was a bit surprised not to see Smth start but fair play to Ollie, the plan to play through them on the ground worked very well and was well prepared, particularly Freeman's role.
Come on you Sooopa ........

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:09 am

Smith started 4 of the friendlies. He'll be pissed off because the way we played yesterday does not suit his game. He may have got on the end of one or two of the crosses that went begging but he's never going to chase down like Washington and Mackie did. It was also great to see us play through midfield rather than chip balls down the channels or hit it long from the back.

If that's this season's one style of play, he'll be getting splinters in his bum.

Devonranger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Devonranger » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:21 am

The threads make good reading and pleased that we have a system which is not reliant on Smith. Can we maintain the pressing game away from home? Would be good if we could but maybe slight adjustment of the system to allow us to use Smith or Sylla, when needed, to hold the ball and bring players into the game?

Do we need someone to help shoulder the role.Jamie Mackie took - slot to ask him to play that alone all season? Linked with Omar Bogle - raw but mobile and strong enough to understudy Mackie and develop in time?

Satch
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:13 pm

Devonranger wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:21 am
The threads make good reading and pleased that we have a system which is not reliant on Smith. Can we maintain the pressing game away from home? Would be good if we could but maybe slight adjustment of the system to allow us to use Smith or Sylla, when needed, to hold the ball and bring players into the game?

Do we need someone to help shoulder the role.Jamie Mackie took - slot to ask him to play that alone all season? Linked with Omar Bogle - raw but mobile and strong enough to understudy Mackie and develop in time?
Bogle would be more than an understudy to Mackie imo. I'd fancy him to get far more goals. Using Mackie to press was a great tactic yesterday, but as above, it was more a defensive tactic than an attacking one, it won't work against every team and it won't lead to the best goal return for the individual forward.

Bogle should be a replacement for Smith imo, who despite his size doesn't hold the ball up or bring others in to the game especially well. He works hard, but i really can't see much beyond a very limited footballer. He got a few games preseason and cropped up with a goal or two, but also missed a fair few. I don't think he could claim to be hard done by.

stainrod's elbow
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:28 pm

Ollie was singing Smith's praises when he came in, so the latter's sick , if the case, would be warranted if he's now developed a playing style that transcends him. Let's hope recruitment is now driven by an intelligible playing model going forwards.

For me, encouraging though yesterday's performance was, we lack sufficient cover at centre back, creativity in midfield, and width/goal threat up top. Injuries to the likes of Freeman, Luongo and the Poles would knock some serious holes in the team's hull, and we will also need the likes of Hall and (dare we hope) Caulker on board and on form.

I share the view that Mackie can't do the job he did yesterday every game, and his inclusion also limits our goal scoring potential, as that's hardly a noteworthy feature of his game. I also can't see a high defensive press working in the same way away from home, or even against every type of opposition at home. Without pouring cold water on yesterday's very commendable showing, Reading were weak and injury-depleted, and virtually served themselves up on a plate, while we were much the better prepared, sharper and fitter. So, a very nice start, but one swallow certainly doesn't make a summer, and we will need more strings to our bow as the season unfolds.

Cautious optimism for me then, but with a stress on the caution for now.
"There's a blue light/in my best friend's room" -Mazzy Star