Optimistic or pessimistic ?

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

Upper or lower...?

Poll ended at Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:05 pm

We shall be fighting in the top half
11%
We shall struggle in the lower half
89%

Total votes: 36

Northolt_Rs
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Re: Optimistic or pessimistic ?

Post by Northolt_Rs » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:44 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:52 pm
Northolt_Rs wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:52 pm
So you are blaming our current plight on the fact we got promoted the the Prem under Briatore's stewardship? I'm absolutely no fan of the bloke but TF absolutely is the culprit here. He took us on as a newly promoted Prem league side. It was the chance of a lifetime to establish QPR as a top tier team and he blew it big time and sp.unked away £250m too. Our disastrous fall from grace is his alone.
You keep believing that if it helps you sleep at night. Tango & Cash heralded the death of what used to be QPR with their notion of turning us into a Boutique club and forcing through massive price hikes which drove away a huge amount of long time fans, a lot of whom have never returned. Along with their pet monkey Paladini, they are ones who triggered the downward spiral. At least TF had the sense to get Gnanalingam & Kamarudin to run the club when he saw it was beyond him... and he sucked up the debt too, not lumber the club with it. I don't think he has done QPR any real favours since he became the majority shareholder but I respect him for not dragging the club into a financial meltdown, we could have been in a hell of a lot worse state if he had taken the Chris Wright route to club ownership.
Helps me sleep at night? WTF are you on? T&C era was mental for sure but....it did result in the greatest season I can remember as a QPR fan - and what a season it was! Cardiff away anybody? We could also be in a hell of a lot better state if somebody half competent had taken ownership of the club instead of the current incumbent. The Fernandes era has been a complete disaster for this club.

Esox Lucius
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Esox Lucius » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:54 am

Northolt_Rs wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:44 pm
We could also be in a hell of a lot better state if somebody half competent had taken ownership of the club instead of the current incumbent. The Fernandes era has been a complete disaster for this club.
We could also have been in a hell of a worse state if we had people like the Venky's, Fawaz, Cellino etc. take ownership of the club. Now that TF is no longer running things I don't believe we will be seeing that level of profligacy at QPR again but he at least hasn't left us in such a bad way as the clubs aforementioned; a former 2x European Champions Cup winner and 2 Premier League/ Division 1 Winners.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

C F Extremadura
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by C F Extremadura » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:29 am

The best seasons come when you least expect them

redinjun
dot.org player kit sponsor
dot.org player kit sponsor

Post by redinjun » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:04 am

I'm optimistic there will be some unexpected twists this season.

We have a team and squad that out played the losing play off finalists on their own patch, then went on to beat several form teams on the bounce. All Ollie has to to is replicate that, build on it and job done.

Of course there are 'yeah but' arguments and all that is the past we are looking at the future. Ollie will have learned a lot about his squad in the 1/2 season he had. Now with a full pre season and maybe a couple of additions we go again.

My prediction; three teams will get promoted, three teams will get relegated and there will be a load of teams in between - we will be in one of those three categories and other than turning up and shouting positive things I have no influence on how our season pans out and I plan to enjoy it!

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:15 am

redinjun wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:04 am
I'm optimistic there will be some unexpected twists this season.

We have a team and squad that out played the losing play off finalists on their own patch, then went on to beat several form teams on the bounce. All Ollie has to to is replicate that, build on it and job done.

Of course there are 'yeah but' arguments and all that is the past we are looking at the future. Ollie will have learned a lot about his squad in the 1/2 season he had. Now with a full pre season and maybe a couple of additions we go again.

My prediction; three teams will get promoted, three teams will get relegated and there will be a load of teams in between - we will be in one of those three categories and other than turning up and shouting positive things I have no influence on how our season pans out and I plan to enjoy it!
Well there's no arguing with that.

Looking at your avatar I wondered if you'd seen Goofy Hoop recently?

SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by SheepRanger » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:57 pm

Northolt_Rs wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:44 pm
Esox Lucius wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:52 pm
Northolt_Rs wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:52 pm
So you are blaming our current plight on the fact we got promoted the the Prem under Briatore's stewardship? I'm absolutely no fan of the bloke but TF absolutely is the culprit here. He took us on as a newly promoted Prem league side. It was the chance of a lifetime to establish QPR as a top tier team and he blew it big time and sp.unked away £250m too. Our disastrous fall from grace is his alone.
You keep believing that if it helps you sleep at night. Tango & Cash heralded the death of what used to be QPR with their notion of turning us into a Boutique club and forcing through massive price hikes which drove away a huge amount of long time fans, a lot of whom have never returned. Along with their pet monkey Paladini, they are ones who triggered the downward spiral. At least TF had the sense to get Gnanalingam & Kamarudin to run the club when he saw it was beyond him... and he sucked up the debt too, not lumber the club with it. I don't think he has done QPR any real favours since he became the majority shareholder but I respect him for not dragging the club into a financial meltdown, we could have been in a hell of a lot worse state if he had taken the Chris Wright route to club ownership.
Helps me sleep at night? WTF are you on? T&C era was mental for sure but....it did result in the greatest season I can remember as a QPR fan - and what a season it was! Cardiff away anybody? We could also be in a hell of a lot better state if somebody half competent had taken ownership of the club instead of the current incumbent. The Fernandes era has been a complete disaster for this club.
T&C were to blame for selling us late into the summer which meant that Warnock was forced into offering large contracts to average players. Those contracts were a noose around our necks for many years. However, it was T&Cs privilege when to sell.

It see the biggest balls up being when the Hughes & Agent fouble act started when they were clearly not acting in the club's best interests with the signings that were made.

If we're deciding who did the most damage it has to Tony. T&C invested and managed to leave football with a small profit which many owners could dream of.

As for financial meltdown it just amazes me that people get so confused over this. We went into meltdown and became a company that is non-sustainable the day we signed the ABC loan. All Tony has done is sp.unked his and fellow investors money, the majority of which has been written off and are no longer showing on the accounts as debt.

For all fun we are back to where we are when the ABC loan was signed. Which means by any standard of accounting we are effectively insolvent. I prefer not to cast blame just shrug my shoulders and think of a missed opportunity. Tony tried to build a house from the roof down.

kernowhoop
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by kernowhoop » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:51 pm

From 'Transfer rumours' thread, where it seemed to kill the discussion (!)

Like many others on here, I have come to the conclusion that we shall not see any exciting signings before the season starts. My 'glass half empty' mood says that starting a new season with almost the same squad that only narrowly avoided relegation a few weeks' ago is worrying. But, I can switch to 'glass half full'. This is why. Looking back to 2016-2017, after 38 games of a wobbly season, we had, I think, 50 points. With eight games to go, it should have been a doddle getting the next three points, but, we made hard work of it. That was, almost certainly, a result of a 'job done' mentality taking over. But, we did get to 50 points with plenty of time to spare and in the course of that, we had a good start (Leeds & Cardiff) and later an undefeated run (was it five wins and a draw?). Forget, if you can, the two runs of six defeats and focus on what clearly can be achieved with a fairly modest squad and a manager who is used to managing with modest resources and getting the most out of what he has.
So, I actually believe that we can have a top-half season. But, one or two things have to happen to make that possible. We have to start well, or, gloom and doom will take over quickly. So, first, we have to shore up the defence. That will help us keep the point that we start each game with. Second, we must have a settled pattern of play that makes good use of Smith and Sylla. With the right service, they are capable of turning one point into three. After that, let's not make it too complicated. Too often, I have seen Hasselbaink and Holloway giving, from the touchline, instructions to players that leave them looking bewildered instead of enlightened. Keep it simple, please. We are not Barcelona. But, remember, nor were Leicester City.
It's simple. Score more goals than they do.

BiscuitRanger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by BiscuitRanger » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:26 pm

Definitely a killer post, kernowhoop. :wink:

The psychology of momentum, the winning habit, purple patches, in the zone. Maybe Glen was right... its all in the head.

What colour was our late season patch?
Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out.

Devonranger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Devonranger » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:16 pm

Have to say Holloway's comments are confusing as to who he wants and doesn't. Thought Ariel Borisyuk was a certain out of the door, although I thought he looked decent in the games where he got opportunities.

Happier to see us get the best out of what we have player wise - could the following work ? :-

Smithies

Furlong
Hall
Lynch
Robinson

Scowen
Borisyuk

Wzsolek
Luongo
Freeman

Sylla or Smith

The likes of Ingram, Manning, Washington, Yeni, Cousins, Bidwell as options - although depends on whether we will be selling off any first teamers.