Optimistic or pessimistic ?

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

Upper or lower...?

Poll ended at Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:05 pm

We shall be fighting in the top half
11%
We shall struggle in the lower half
89%

Total votes: 36

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Re: Optimistic or pessimistic ?

Post by dm » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:57 am

Giorgio wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:11 am
But another priority to me, would be to find a fast and creative player, able to cut inside and feed the strikers....
Sure, one of those would be great but they don't come cheap and we're not spending much at the moment.

Rbee
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:08 pm

This is how I see it.

I think we will be comfortable in mid table. There will be more signings before the transfer window shuts and hopefully some departures.

Unless new owners rock up we have Tony and Co for the foreseeable. I am not even sure they would sell unless the offer to buy the club was that good.

We are a club in transition worse off now than when Tony first took over. He had a stab at the big time with his partner in crime the idiot Hughes and failed miserably losing a huge personal fortune in the process.

Lessons learnt and a new sensible and understandably cautious approach adopted. But I don't expect us to be in this position for too long, Tony and his partners are successful businessmen and will be planning for another assault on the Premier League, this club will not be standing still for too long. A slower approach this time, build the club up again with strong foundations and solid financial base.

After a rocky period Air Asia is once again flying, pun intended, and doing really well. Once again we should be looking at tapping in to that Far East market with Air Asia emblazoned across our shirts, that market that contributes a huge percentage to Manchester United's revenue. We tried with Park Ji-sung and will try again as the Air Asia brand makes it's mark in that part of the world.

I really don't think Tony and Co like standing still, like all successful businessmen they will looking to move forward, their eyes still focused on QPR becoming a Premier League Football Club. They won't be looking for promotion this season but progression and improvement, the same next season and then who knows.

As fans we should be happy with the path our owners are taking relaxed in the knowledge that they have firm ambitions to take our club forward and succeed.

ANDREW1302
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by ANDREW1302 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:20 pm

Rbee - you mean just like he did with Formula 1?
For me Fernandes the businessman is very different from the football man. The problem is he loves being listened too and 'seen' which football provides him with. As a result his football decisions become ego led look at me reactions. For instance after the play off final rather than saying i am celebrating today and will think about managers later he launched into of course Harry will be here etc. That was not a businessman talking it was a man loving to be on tv.
The truth is he has destroyed the club. We used to be a family club , punching above our weight and generally popular playing a good brand of football. Fernandes came in turned that all on its head with some really dreadful decisions which lost him unsurprisingly a fortune. He could of done a Burnley but that would not have given him the opportunity to grab the limelight. Parling , the guy who runs Burnley [ i have met him a couple of times] keeps his own council and is probably a name you have not heard much of. Same as the old chairman of Swansea and current chairman of Stoke. They do their job which does not include taking every opportunity to indulge in their ego.
So next having lost a fortune Fernandes pretends that actually he now believes he wants to build from the grass roots etc. Really you think he is doing that for any reason other than he has done his and his investors pieces?
We now have a squad where almost no player would get into the team that Fernandes took over. He has ruined the character of the club, tried to change around the programme he wanted all the fans to buy into [ like turning a supertanker] and ended up with a complete mess of his own making.
And then he starts tweeting as though he thinks people believe he has any idea about what he is doing. He started again today which in answer to the original subject can only mean one thing pessimistic.
I think we will struggle to stay in this division. 3 years ago i was posting that the club was going into meltdown and i still think that with Fernandes at the helm. Do not forget that the ground is owned in a separate company from the club. Another relegation and i wonder what Fernandes will do.
A lot will depend on Mr Penrice. Holloway i don't think is good enough unless he gets support from a tactician and i don't feel Bircham is that. My overall feeling is we are putting sticking plaster in place covering up a profound mess created by our owner.

Giorgio
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Giorgio » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:35 pm

bigbobb wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:39 am
To score Sylla needs to be on the pitch
..I could not agree more.....scoring from the bench or worse, from the stands is something that not even Lineker or Trevor Francis,
to mention the first two good strikers coming to my mind, could manage to do... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

stainrod's elbow
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:10 pm

Looking at the squad on paper, and thinking about that appalling end to last season that only failed to see us relegated by the skin of our teeth, I'd say we're spineless - said spine being a strong/ball-playing CB to play alongside Hall, two good holding and playmaking CMs to give us both creativity and competitiveness, and a jack-in-the-box goalscorer (Smith and Sylla aren't the worst options in the world, but I'll be surprised if we get more than 20 goals out of the pair of them). That's just to be competitive, and assumes IH actually has a credible and effective tactical plan.

As for our rarely seen wingers/long lamented lack of width, they seem to get loaned in/out, flogged off, picked off or injured/played out of position (Elk, Bowler, Lua Lua, Petrasso, Mackie) as if there' s some wide man virus at HQ. When you think this is a club that's had the likes of Dave Thomas, Wayne Fereday, Ian Stewart, Andy Impey, Gary Micklewhite and Lee Cook flying down its flanks over the years, it's a sad and sorry state of affairs all round. (Though I think even the current incarnation of half-blind Dave T and his dog would have run down fewer blind alleys than a certain J. Toilette.)

Our outstanding asset may or may not be off to mind the sticks at Huddersfield or Sunderland.

Our supposedly Premiership-quality CB is mentally unwell.

Our 'footballing philosophy' that somehow failed to emerge under JFH showed cruelly tantalising signs of coming together under Ollie, then went up in blue and white smoke.

Our average attendance declined from ca. 16,000 in 2015-16 to 14,475 last season - 10%. That's a lot in anyone's money! Meanwhile, the prospect of the new stadium seems to be slinking dolefully south.

Can someone start a thread called 'Reasons to be Cheerful'?

As for the new season - Gulp! :(
"There's a blue light/in my best friend's room" -Mazzy Star

deadendjob
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by deadendjob » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:42 pm

Yeah, I'm struggling to be optimistic this season. We're in dire need of at least a CB, RB and striker.
I appreciate there are budget constraints but barely staying in the Championship and not investing in the squad is a recipe for disaster.
In saying that, I do think Olly is/should be walking a tight rope.

Rbee
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:52 pm

stainrod's elbow wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:10 pm
Can someone start a thread called 'Reasons to be Cheerful'?
I thought my post was quite cheerful.

Committed owners

Slow but steady progress

There will be new signings before the window closes.

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by UxbridgeR » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:33 am

ANDREW1302 wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:20 pm
For me Fernandes the businessman is very different from the football man. The problem is he loves being listened too and 'seen' which football provides him with. As a result his football decisions become ego led look at me reactions. For instance after the play off final rather than saying i am celebrating today and will think about managers later he launched into of course Harry will be here etc. That was not a businessman talking it was a man loving to be on tv.
The truth is he has destroyed the club. We used to be a family club , punching above our weight and generally popular playing a good brand of football. Fernandes came in turned that all on its head with some really dreadful decisions which lost him unsurprisingly a fortune. He could of done a Burnley but that would not have given him the opportunity to grab the limelight. Parling , the guy who runs Burnley [ i have met him a couple of times] keeps his own council and is probably a name you have not heard much of. Same as the old chairman of Swansea and current chairman of Stoke. They do their job which does not include taking every opportunity to indulge in their ego......
Although I largely agree with your critique of TF, it was Paladini, Briatore and Ecclestone that really tore the heart out of the club. The influx of big money meant we happily surrendered our identity in the quest for PL glory. And let's be honest, most fans cheered it on.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

stansmullet
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by stansmullet » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:06 pm

Pessimistic - squad looks light an lacking quality to me. I have us down somewhere around 17/18th

Spend what money we have on 2 or 3 really good Prem loans- maybe it is just envy but other teams seem to do much better here than us . Abraham and Mooy last year stick in the mind. Follow that model and loan in quality - we need to get away from the thought that they need to be "our" players...unless we want to spend 10m Plus

Not sure why we struggle here- Id think Arsenal, Spurs etc would want their top young uns close so they could watch their development . I assume they feel our set up and coaching is not up to par and doesnt provide a good environment for their Young ones? But that is a guess

Northolt_Rs
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by Northolt_Rs » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:52 pm

UxbridgeR wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:33 am
ANDREW1302 wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:20 pm
The truth is he has destroyed the club. We used to be a family club , punching above our weight and generally popular playing a good brand of football. Fernandes came in turned that all on its head with some really dreadful decisions which lost him unsurprisingly a fortune. He could of done a Burnley but that would not have given him the opportunity to grab the limelight. Parling , the guy who runs Burnley [ i have met him a couple of times] keeps his own council and is probably a name you have not heard much of. Same as the old chairman of Swansea and current chairman of Stoke. They do their job which does not include taking every opportunity to indulge in their ego......
Although I largely agree with your critique of TF, it was Paladini, Briatore and Ecclestone that really tore the heart out of the club. The influx of big money meant we happily surrendered our identity in the quest for PL glory. And let's be honest, most fans cheered it on.
So you are blaming our current plight on the fact we got promoted the the Prem under Briatore's stewardship? I'm absolutely no fan of the bloke but TF absolutely is the culprit here. He took us on as a newly promoted Prem league side. It was the chance of a lifetime to establish QPR as a top tier team and he blew it big time and sp.unked away £250m too. Our disastrous fall from grace is his alone.

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:34 pm

Northolt_Rs wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:52 pm
So you are blaming our current plight on the fact we got promoted the the Prem under Briatore's stewardship? I'm absolutely no fan of the bloke but TF absolutely is the culprit here. He took us on as a newly promoted Prem league side. It was the chance of a lifetime to establish QPR as a top tier team and he blew it big time and sp.unked away £250m too. Our disastrous fall from grace is his alone.
Have you ever seen The Four Year Plan?

Esox Lucius
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Esox Lucius » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:52 pm

Northolt_Rs wrote:
You keep believing that if it helps you sleep at night. Tango & Cash heralded the death of what used to be QPR with their notion of turning us into a Boutique club and forcing through massive price hikes which drove away a huge amount of long time fans, a lot of whom have never returned. Along with their pet monkey Paladini, they are ones who triggered the downward spiral. At least TF had the sense to get Gnanalingam & Kamarudin to run the club when he saw it was beyond him... and he sucked up the debt too, not lumber the club with it. I don't think he has done QPR any real favours since he became the majority shareholder but I respect him for not dragging the club into a financial meltdown, we could have been in a hell of a lot worse state if he had taken the Chris Wright route to club ownership.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

ANDREW1302
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by ANDREW1302 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:55 pm

I understand the comments re Paladini and Briatore who in my view are little more than criminal but the truth is Fernandes took over the club just after we had reached the premier league. He had to make decisions at that point which should of secured the long term future of the club. To me he made the wrong decisions and then has tried to persuade the fans that whilst he made mistakes we are now doing the right thing which amounts to sending us down the leagues on the basis of minimal investment.We really are looking no different to Blackburn or Portsmouth . We invested very badly and are in a right old mess. I just cannot see how anyone can defend Fernandes apart from he sounds a nice bloke. I think this can be reflected with his twitter account which is now a considerable source of anger to the average fan. I really don't think he commands respect anymore . He once said when the fans wanted him to go he would. Well i for one would like him to leave/sell. Who knows what we will get but will it be worse? A risk i think worth taking. I genuinely wish IH all the best and i pray we start ok/well as if we don't i think all the frustration of lost opportunity will spill out. What we don't need is a tonking by Reading first off.

Rbee
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:31 pm

Northolt_Rs wrote:
but TF absolutely is the culprit here. He took us on as a newly promoted Prem league side. It was the chance of a lifetime to establish QPR as a top tier team and he blew it big time and sp.unked away £250m too. Our disastrous fall from grace is his alone.
All true, however in reality all TF did was back his manager. None of us criticised him at the time as the millions were flying out of the door. He was like a kid in a sweet shop as were us fans. What he lacked was a strong character around like Hoo's who might well have told him at the time what the hell are you doing.

I believe TF is just as ambitious as he ever was but is now far more experienced in the job, he has learnt the hard way. In contrast I don't think some of our fans have learnt many things from those awful years. Think about it, M'bia or Helguson?

Slow steady progress? We shall see.

ANDREW1302
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by ANDREW1302 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:33 pm

rbee i hope you are right!