Maybe foreboding is a plus

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

ANDREW1302
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Maybe foreboding is a plus

Post by ANDREW1302 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:27 pm

Every season i am filled with anticipation and the 'possibility'. This year i feel unenthusiastic and dread. Maybe that means we will get promoted rather than languish!
Seriously i can't remember a time when the feeling amongst fans has been so negative. Clearly we are having problems with signings and there seems little fillip. Today Fulham's new signing took us apart at under 23s and we ended up being thrashed. Just hope we have some positive news soon.

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Re: Maybe foreboding is a plus

Post by 222gers » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:48 pm

They say it's good to be a pessimist as you never experience disappointment. The key to all the moaning we've seen on here over the last season or two consists in the expectation of pushing for promotion despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary on the pitch.
We approach the impending season with hope rather than expectation and that's all to the good really.

W12Allstars
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by W12Allstars » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:39 pm

I was thinking the same thing earlier this evening. I expect extraordinarily little from the coming season. Maybe a lifetime of disappointment is finally seeping through to my brain?
Far better is it to dare mighty things, than to dwell in the twighlight that knows neither victory nor defeat - T Roosevelt

SM
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by SM » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:04 pm

I think the best we can hope for is some entertaining football and a mid-table finish.

I actually think we have the makings of a decent side, but we are far too weak in key areas for me. I still don't see where the goals are coming from, and that's for starters.

Let's hope we're all pleasantly surprised, eh?
Isle Of Wight R'ssssssssss

the big IP
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by the big IP » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:22 am

it was 16 years in between relegation and promotion the first time, i have a feeling with the premiership money the way it is with clubs coming down, it might be even longer this time around, in fact i would say League 1 would be more likely.

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:42 am

the big IP wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:22 am
it was 16 years in between relegation and promotion the first time, i have a feeling with the premiership money the way it is with clubs coming down, it might be even longer this time around, in fact i would say League 1 would be more likely.
We are not a premier league club full stop, there is not one aspect of our club that is premier league level or structurally prepared for it.

Obviously we can do a Bournemouth and change that but as we cocked up our chance big time we are where we are.

This is our level & let's not take it for granted, we have a house to get in order nobody likes chores but that's what's got to happen over the foreseeable future.

BiscuitRanger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by BiscuitRanger » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:52 am

westlondonlalala wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:42 am
the big IP wrote:
We are not a premier league club full stop, there is not one aspect of our club that is premier league level or structurally prepared for it.

Obviously we can do a Bournemouth and change that but as we cocked up our chance big time we are where we are.

This is our level & let's not take it for granted, we have a house to get in order nobody likes chores but that's what's got to happen over the foreseeable future.

The fans?
Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out.

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:14 pm

Of course the fans we're the greatest in the land but unfortunately that doesn't sustain premier league status.

Anyway we can't fill Loftus Road in the championship so they're not hardcore judging by the numbers.

kernowhoop
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by kernowhoop » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:32 pm

BiscuitRanger wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:52 am
westlondonlalala wrote:
the big IP wrote:

The fans?
Hmm. For the big occasions (play-offs) we turn out in impressive numbers. Away from home, often impressive numbers, too. But, at home, we do not usually fill the stadium for Championship matches; worse than that, at Loftus Road, some of our fans turn on the team much too readily. If that continues in 2017-2018, Ollie's job will be made even harder.
It's simple. Score more goals than they do.

WA Hoop
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by WA Hoop » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:49 am

westlondonlalala wrote:
the big IP wrote:

And that in a nutshell Lala is most galling aspect of our club during my entire lifetime. :evil:
Question everything.

SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by SheepRanger » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:09 am

westlondonlalala wrote:
the big IP wrote:

Some clubs of equal stature to ourselves in League One such as Blackburn, Bradford, Charlton, Plymouth, Portsmouth. And Coventry in League Two.

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by UxbridgeR » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:24 am

SheepRanger wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:09 am
westlondonlalala wrote:
the big IP wrote:

Some clubs of equal stature to ourselves in League One such as Blackburn, Bradford, Charlton, Plymouth, Portsmouth. And Coventry in League Two.
By the same token, some clubs of equal stature are in the PL - Bournemouth, Burnley, Swansea, Watford, Huddersfield, Brighton, and a few more who would have fallen into that category a few years ago - Palace, Leicester, Stoke, West Brom. That's half of the league.

It can be done, and things can change dramatically in a few years, so let's not get too downbeat about the possibilities.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by SheepRanger » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:01 am

UxbridgeR wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:24 am
SheepRanger wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:09 am
westlondonlalala wrote:

By the same token, some clubs of equal stature are in the PL - Bournemouth, Burnley, Swansea, Watford, Huddersfield, Brighton, and a few more who would have fallen into that category a few years ago - Palace, Leicester, Stoke, West Brom. That's half of the league.

It can be done, and things can change dramatically in a few years, so let's not get too downbeat about the possibilities.
Good point - Im just a bit glass half full at the moment after we wasted our investment. We really need to turn this around and stabalise asap before we decline further.

You don't win anything with kids :wink:

mickeystar
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by mickeystar » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:21 pm

ANDREW1302 wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:27 pm
Seriously i can't remember a time when the feeling amongst fans has been so negative
You seriously cannot remember ANY time a QPR fan has been negative?? How long have you been a fan?
Rangers Til I Die

ANDREW1302
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by ANDREW1302 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:11 pm

Mickey - first game 1968. Yes things have changed a lot over time. From a popular family club playing attacking football with sensible expectation to the big moment when someone decided to invest heavily but made a total cock up which simply nailed the coffin of change. He then thought with a flick of his twitter account he could persuade all of us stupid fans that he actually was now going to do it the proper way. Chances in life don't come along that often and when they do it is best not to totally mess them up.