which ever way you odds it.....

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

Stans left foot
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

which ever way you odds it.....

Post by Stans left foot » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:48 am

It ain't looking good......

with the season kicking off in 3 and a bit weeks times it seems clear our horizons and ambitions will have been severely clipped this year.

Firstly we have the ever going FFP issue which, even from a non footballing perspective is pure madness. Here we are, what, the 2nd season in a row not knowing what our expenditure commitments will be - should we budget for a fine or not? We're clearly not saleable so here we are stuck in limbo. That alone should surely be the basis of a legal dispute/challenge as we can't run our business effectively - ie budget to secure promotion - under such restraint?

Secondly we have a current impasse on "shopping"" - we are clearly in the £1 shop when it comes to recruiting and with that comes a frustration. I guess not only for us as supporters but the management too. The impact on players being tempted to re-think their options - Washington specifically - must be there. I suspect Birmingham are first in the queue. This Board seem split on his value to the team, however his loss could show more than the simple sale of a player. It would mark a downward spiral in terms of ambition.

Thirdly, like it or not we are not strong. We may think we are, we may think we're only just out of the Premier League but in perspective we're way off. Thus far my Wolverhampton supporting mate has watched his club part with over £40m this closed season. Yes, £40m. And they're only 7/2 for promotion - there's 5 or 6 better placed ( arguably ) than them. We talk of The Championship being a tough league, but unless Olly can resurrect some miracle team building we're going to struggle. - arguably there are 16 teams better placed than us to secure promotion this coming season. In the bookies eye I'd suggest that means either squad capability, budget potential, manager capability or plain and simple owners commitment to succeed.

Quite where this leaves us in terms of support toward the team and the club I'm unsure.. I do have a feeling that once the initial surge of optimism of the new season is over, probably 3rd game in - we'll have a hardening of opinion wanting more. More in terms of players in / manager out or more in terms of sacking the Board /TF or whoever they aim their fire at.

Roll this little lot up and I can't see a way out this season, hope I'm wrong.
"Fing Poo Wah" ( your comments are as much interest to me as a dogs fart ).

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Re: which ever way you odds it.....

Post by UxbridgeR » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:58 am

Why would Washington be in demand ? 6 league goals in 47 games is unlikely to have many clubs banging on our door, unless they're already a level below. The Birmingham link came off on their messageboards.

There are more clubs in this division throwing money around now, but it's no guarantee of anything at all, as Villa found out last season, and I suspect Wolves will this time. I don't think the bookies odds mean much either. After Tango and Cash came in, they routinely had us amongst the favourites to go up, based purely on our notional spending power.

That said, I think we will very likely struggle, unless we recruit well between now and the end of August. A lot can happen between now and then.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:15 am

You talk of Washington like he is some big dilemma, like it's a power struggle within the club weather to keep him or let him go.
He's record for us is around 1 in 7.5 games, he got 8 in 43 games last season.

Your saying if he left it could have a bigger impact on us than we realise, Charlie Austin yes Connor Washington i doubt it.

Wolves are a complete joke it's cringe worthy what's happening to them a clueless rich owner who's best pal is rat agent Jorge Mendes, think they've spent 35m on four Portuguese players, Good old Mendes helping Wolves out with some bargains.

Im expecting us to struggle but the good thing about that is anything else is a bonus, it's plain and obvious on paper that we are a small fish in this league now with a limited squad, as long as we show a bit of fight on the pitch can beat bloody Brentford at some point & win a cup game then I'll be happy.

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:16 am

I agree we should wait for the "slam shut" before trying to be definitive about this season. However, I am increasingly feeling staying up will be the goal.

n22hoop
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by n22hoop » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:56 am

dm wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:16 am
I agree we should wait for the "slam shut" before trying to be definitive about this season. However, I am increasingly feeling staying up will be the goal.
I agree with you but we could have just 'stayed up' with JFH or Chris Ramsey in charge. Why the need for a change of manager if our objective was just that.
"Football is the love of form. A spectacle that scarcely leaves a trace in the memory and does not enrich or impoverish knowledge. This is its appeal : it is exciting and empty." Mario Vargas Llosa

BiscuitRanger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by BiscuitRanger » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:57 am

n22hoop wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:56 am
dm wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:16 am
I agree with you but we could have just 'stayed up' with JFH or Chris Ramsey in charge. Why the need for a change of manager if our objective was just that.
In retrospect, would anyone have chosen to give Ramsey or JFH more time?

For me the plug was pulled too early on both, even though it was horrible at times, and too often, both, looked dazed and confused on the sidelines.

I guess most managers have their moments, but the more successful, even over recent years, have been given time.
That why I want Ollie to have at least another season.
For me the most disappointing thing under IH is the lack of team cohesiveness and spirit.
Let's see how we perform next season before unfurling the cutlery.
Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out.

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:49 pm

I would have given both managers more time. Constant managerial change have not worked and I hope Ollie isn't treated the same way.

I sense expectations have changed. There's no talk of challenging for promotion. There's clearly no transfer war chest. Staying in this division must surely be the aim.

Lee Gib
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by Lee Gib » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:03 pm

dm wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:49 pm
I would have given both managers more time. Constant managerial change have not worked and I hope Ollie isn't treated the same way.

I sense expectations have changed. There's no talk of challenging for promotion. There's clearly no transfer war chest. Staying in this division must surely be the aim.
aniclap aniclap

Satch
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:34 pm

I wouldn't have sacked either Ramsey or JFH. They both had their faults, but they were young managers and we're supposedly building for the future. I felt especially for Ramsey who had the goalposts moved on him because the club overestimated the value of keeping certain players, ignoring the fact that they were injured (Austin and Sandro) or disinterested and out of form (Phillips) or completely disinterested, work shy malevolent fool-born ratsbanes who don't deserve to pull on a pair of boots (Leroy f***** Fer). Ok you might argue a different manager could have got them playing, but i'm not at all convinced.

As for Holloway, i was concerned he was a broken man and is out of touch with the game and when he's struggling, his attitude isn't beneficial to the club he's at. I know such views are considered heresy by most fans. Nothing about his tenure has disavowed me of this notion.

I was desperate the club not sack him and we ride it out. But the run at the end of the season has convinced me more that he isn't up to the job. I still don't want a managerial change, but what i envisage is us yet again being in the market for a new boss in November and repeating the cycle. For that reason, i would have sacked him on the last day of the season and got someone else in.

However, we haven't and for that reason, i think we should give him the whole season (if it were me it would be on the proviso he doesn't speak to a journalist ever again) hopefully he steadies the ship. I have no expectations beyond survival but it should be comfortable, i don't believe our squad is only league 1 quality.

Obviously, players coming in is exciting, but you don't want to see it for the sake of it. Getting a DM in was a priority and from what i understand that's exactly what we've done.

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:43 pm

I think the coming season will be either very good or very bad (no middle course).

It will all fall down to Ian Holloway and his team selection, tactics and substitutions. Last season we saw a super display at Birmingham - following that we went on a run of 1 defeat in 7, with 5 victories. We looked strong at the back, had width and played with two strikers. Super - we've got it cracked! So, then IH decides to drop the width, mess with the tactics and it goes to crap.

The signing of Scowen looks a decent decision. Maybe he'll fill the defensive role we saw Hall in to great effect, or maybe play deeper allowing Hall to resume that role - we certainly looked more solid with him in that role. A solid defence, rejection of anything approaching route one, width, and two strikers would be a good plan going into the new season.

Throw in - play the players who are in form and it could all be good. The problem is - IH is no tactical genius and he may be tempted to tinker when its not necessary. Bottom line - if we see the QPR manager from February/ March 2017 we will be fine. If we see the one from April/ May 2017 we are doomed.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

Bear-Grills
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Bear-Grills » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:24 pm

westlondonlalala wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:15 am
& win a cup game..
I thought you'd stopped drinking and taking drugs Lala? :D
If drink isn't the answer, you were asked the wrong question

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:11 am

Bear-Grills wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:24 pm
westlondonlalala wrote:
& win a cup game..
I have unfortunately I'm still a compulsive dreamer..

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Damien » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:53 pm

westlondonlalala wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:11 am
Bear-Grills wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:24 pm
westlondonlalala wrote:
& win a cup game..
I have unfortunately I'm still a compulsive dreamer..
Aren't we all :wink: Survival as everyone else says is all we can hope for in reality.It's been a long time since I was so pessimistic about the coming season(but I love being proved wrong) Come on U R'ssssssssssss 8)

old pauline
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by old pauline » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:18 pm

As things stand, with the only addition of a Championship central defensive midfielder, I am not optimistic. But if we can pull one or two chestnuts out of the fire then we may have a chance. I don't see that we have too many alternatives. It is what it is.
Come on you Sooopa ........

Rbee
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:31 pm

Having entered the third week of pre-season, the current QPR squad will have had every opportunity to impress manager Ian Holloway and his backroom staff.

Following the rough ride they faced in Portugal, and a week back at Harlington which was topped off with two friendlies against Reading, any player looking to put down a marker for the new season will have shown exactly what he can offer in the forthcoming season.

As much as some players will have impressed during the back-to-back fixtures on Saturday, there is no doubting that such defeats will have given the management a dose of reality as they look to ensure the team are battle-born come the start of August.

Josh Scowen is the only senior recruit so far this summer, but one who is a dead-cert in terms of what you can expect in the new season. His battling qualities which he showcased at Barnsley last season made him exactly the sort of player needed by a club in QPR's position.

But what other areas will need strengthening?

By process of elimination, it appears that the goalkeeping slot and centre midfield are at full-strength.

In Alex Smithies the club has arguably one of the best stoppers in the division, and in the engine room the Hoops appear to have enough strength with the acquisition of Scowen joining the likes of Sean Goss, Jordan Cousins, Massimo Luongo and young Ryan Manning.

The side is in desperate need of some creative flair, and this is something which is surely at the top of the shopping list.

Players of this sort don't usually come cheap, meaning that the club might need to focus on recruiting two or three quality players, as opposed to bringing in five or six somewhat average additions in order to obtain someone of the required skill-set to make an impression this season.

As well as a creative type, it's essential that the club recruit intelligently in their back line.

This season has the potential to be a real slog for Holloway's men, and so it's crucial that the club has leaders around to guide the team through some of the tricky encounters which they are going to face.

QPR boast one of the youngest squads in the league, and so it's vital that come the start of the season, the team has the required blend of youth and experience to handle the challenges ahead.

Get West London