Managers

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

ANDREW1302
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Managers

Post by ANDREW1302 » Wed May 17, 2017 12:50 pm

Of the four in the play offs 2 managers were pretty unknown , one hardly known and one had a short track record at Watford. I wonder what happens at QPR. We just never seem to be able to spot the 'right one'. Hats off to Reading, they were able to see something in Japp Stamm. I just wonder why we end up with 'the stand out applicant was IH'.

Rbee
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Re: Managers

Post by Rbee » Wed May 17, 2017 1:12 pm

Sometimes you need a bit of luck. For a really good season you need the manager, his coaching staff and the players to all really gel and get along. This rarely happens as you never really know what personalities you are bringing in to the club.

This is why managers need time to build a squad and support team and make their mark on a club.

Less of an issue at the top of The Premier League as player quality comes to the fore. Costa appears to be totally barmy but he scores goals for instance.

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by UxbridgeR » Wed May 17, 2017 2:27 pm

ANDREW1302 wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 12:50 pm
Of the four in the play offs 2 managers were pretty unknown , one hardly known and one had a short track record at Watford. I wonder what happens at QPR. We just never seem to be able to spot the 'right one'. Hats off to Reading, they were able to see something in Japp Stamm. I just wonder why we end up with 'the stand out applicant was IH'.
Jokanovic got Watford promoted in his 7 months there, so Fulham knew they were getting a manager who had a track record in the Championship.
However their previous three appointments were Kit Symons, Felix Magath and Rene Meulensteen, so no magic wand in their choices there.

Carvalhal has been in management a long time with an unremarkable CV, but he's had serious financial backing from new owners at Wednesday, and I suspect he will be deemed to have failed if they don't go up via the play-offs. Their 4 previous managers were Stuart Gray, Dave Jones, Gary Megson and Alan Irvine.

As you say Reading saw something in Stam beyond his limited CV, so fair play to them there, and Warner was a complete wildcard and a fantastic find, but again, not something Huddersfield make a regular habit of. Both were gambles that could easily have played differently though.

As Rbee says, you need a bit of luck, and there are no guarantees. Felix Magath must have seemed like a safe bet for Fulham, but turned out to be a complete disaster.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

Satch
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Wed May 17, 2017 2:35 pm

UxbridgeR wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 2:27 pm
ANDREW1302 wrote:
Jokanovic got Watford promoted in his 7 months there, so Fulham knew they were getting a manager who had a track record in the Championship.
However their previous three appointments were Kit Symons, Felix Magath and Rene Meulensteen, so no magic wand in their choices there.

Carvalhal has been in management a long time with an unremarkable CV, but he's had serious financial backing from new owners at Wednesday, and I suspect he will be deemed to have failed if they don't go up via the play-offs. Their 4 previous managers were Stuart Gray, Dave Jones, Gary Megson and Alan Irvine.

As you say Reading saw something in Stam beyond his limited CV, so fair play to them there, and Warner was a complete wildcard and a fantastic find, but again, not something Huddersfield make a regular habit of. Both were gambles that could easily have played differently though.

As Rbee says, you need a bit of luck, and there are no guarantees. Felix Magath must have seemed like a safe bet for Fulham, but turned out to be a complete disaster.
Quite, i think we all had high hopes after appointing a young Dutch manager who's career appeared to be on the up.

Wagner seems an inspired choice and one to bear in mind when thinking about how to identify the next thirsty imbiber from the poison chalice. However, it's also worth noting he got very lucky with who he was able to bring in on loan, that made a huge difference.

If Huddersfield don't go up and them unlikely to hang on to those players, i could see Wagner pissing off, taking Wells with him, La Parra reverting to type and Town ending up in league 1.

Keith
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by Keith » Wed May 17, 2017 3:36 pm

ANDREW1302 wrote:
....... one had a s̶h̶o̶r̶t̶ ̶t̶r̶a̶c̶k̶ record at Watford.
:-)