FFP Decision due this month

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

Rbee
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

FFP Decision due this month

Post by Rbee » Tue May 16, 2017 11:39 pm

According to The Times. You have to be a subscriber to The Times to see the full article so in part.....

Queens Park Rangers will learn this month whether they will face a fine of £57.9 million for a possible breach of spending limits in winning promotion to the Premier League three years ago.

The west London club’s dispute with the Football League will be heard by an arbitration panel, made up of three QCs, at a hearing next week.

If QPR win the argument, it could have a knock-on effect for Bournemouth and Leicester City, who have also challenged the League’s attempts to impose a fine on them for recording sizeable losses during their promotion to the top flight. Leicester claim the regulations were “unlawful”.

QPR, who were relegated after just one season back in the Premier League, challenged the legality and accounting principles of…

I know a few people on here subscribe so I would be grateful if they could post the full article.

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Re: FFP Decision due this month

Post by 222gers » Wed May 17, 2017 7:57 am

I have the hard copy version. They're claiming it as an exclusive, but just a two paragraph piece with nothing new. The Football League do not accept the "writing off" of the 60m overspend etc. Still, it looks like the wait is almost over.

QPR1976
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by QPR1976 » Wed May 17, 2017 8:24 am

It doesn't sound like there 'wiggle room' for a middle ground agreement, if the FL are not accepting our 'write off'.

Will be interesting to see the outcome, although, I'll wager there will be an appeal, by one side or the other.

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by QPR_John » Wed May 17, 2017 9:56 am

QPR1976 wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 8:24 am
It doesn't sound like there 'wiggle room' for a middle ground agreement, if the FL are not accepting our 'write off'.

Will be interesting to see the outcome, although, I'll wager there will be an appeal, by one side or the other.
How can the FL not accept the "write off". Surely FFP was introduced to "protect" clubs from falling into debt from money put in by owners. As this money was written off then the club has not been burdened with a debt to the owners. Seems like cake and eat it from the FL but then I am no expert.

ANDREW1302
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by ANDREW1302 » Wed May 17, 2017 12:47 pm

i wonder what would happen if we lost. i assume the fine is against the club not the owners. As the club is not worth £50m i wonder if the current owners will just wind it up. Must be an option i would think. I can't see them putting in another £50m personally .

SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by SheepRanger » Wed May 17, 2017 12:51 pm

Transfer embargo or points deduction?

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by QPR_John » Wed May 17, 2017 1:02 pm

SheepRanger wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 12:51 pm
Transfer embargo or points deduction?
I think the only punishment under the FFP rules we are being charged with is a fine

ANDREW1302
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by ANDREW1302 » Wed May 17, 2017 1:17 pm

Further to my earlier post i think the ground is owned separately from the club so they could wind it up blaming FFP and then sell the ground for £30m plus which would recoup a lot of their losses.

Rbee
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Wed May 17, 2017 1:22 pm

ANDREW1302 wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 1:17 pm
Further to my earlier post i think the ground is owned separately from the club so they could wind it up blaming FFP and then sell the ground for £30m plus which would recoup a lot of their losses.
I see Pros and Cons there :-)

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by UxbridgeR » Wed May 17, 2017 1:25 pm

ANDREW1302 wrote:
Wow, a proper doomsday scenario there. If they really wanted to wind the club up, why would they have written off the best part of £200M not so long ago ?

I can't see any way we will be fined anywhere near £50M.
Last edited by UxbridgeR on Wed May 17, 2017 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

White Duck
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by White Duck » Wed May 17, 2017 1:26 pm

ANDREW1302 wrote:
Never gonna happen.
Lex Talionis........

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Wed May 17, 2017 4:13 pm

The question is are the FL serious about their competition? The parachute payments make the Championship a very skewed affair - Rotherham and Blackburn who spent next to nothing were always going to struggle, while Burton will again face an uphill slog.

A near £60 million pound fine could be a death sentence to a club like ours. What happens too when Bournemouth and Leicester eventually get relegated (just a matter of time for both)? Similar sized (or even bigger) fines put them in a precarious position.

Do the FL really want to put clubs out of business?

If they are serious about financial fair play, the first thing to do is scrap the parachute payments. Then Institute a salary cap across all divisions and 95% of the problem is solved.

A sensible approach to the fit person regulations and a bond held by the FL when new owners take over will go a long way to solving the final 5% of the problem.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Damien » Wed May 17, 2017 4:49 pm

ZENITH R wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 4:13 pm
The question is are the FL serious about their competition? The parachute payments make the Championship a very skewed affair - Rotherham and Blackburn who spent next to nothing were always going to struggle, while Burton will again face an uphill slog.

A near £60 million pound fine could be a death sentence to a club like ours. What happens too when Bournemouth and Leicester eventually get relegated (just a matter of time for both)? Similar sized (or even bigger) fines put them in a precarious position.

If they are serious about financial fair play, the first thing to do is scrap the parachute payments. Then Institute a salary cap across all divisions and 95% of the problem is solved.

A sensible approach to the fit person regulations and a bond held by the FL when new owners take over will go a long way to solving the final 5% of the problem.
The FL will be quite content to consign us to history. I think people in football have it in for us and will change the rules afterwards to save Bmuf and Leicester et al. How's that for a doomsday scenario? At least I'll be able to finally give up giving a flying feck about football for the rest of my puff.

Satch
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Wed May 17, 2017 6:06 pm

ZENITH R wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 4:13 pm

Disagree on Parachute payments. You remove those, you make the Premier league an even more closed shop.

Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Wed May 17, 2017 8:45 pm

FFP is the reverse of what it says it is. Just like the Tories "Localism (Jokerism)" bill that was supposed to empower local authorities but in fact stripped them of more power. FFP has one aim - to prevent a small club being developed into a big club by a wealthy owner(s) and to maintain the status quo. I cannot see how in such a deregulated economy such as the UK that FFP would stand up in court.
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare