QPR boss Ian Holloway targeting 'three or four' new signings

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

Satch
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Re: QPR boss Ian Holloway targeting 'three or four' new signings

Post by Satch » Wed May 17, 2017 6:08 pm

stainesranger wrote:
Tue May 16, 2017 7:09 pm
While the more sensible approach was instigated pre-Holloway I don't think there's any problem with the manager reiterating the fact that he's singing from the same hymn sheet.

I did think it was weird when he gave an interview to sky during a televised match while play was ongoing. Watch the match! Yeah
Did that sound like a reiteration?

I don't disagree that we need a couple of players in. But the timing and rhetoric sounds more like defending his performance and trying to appeal to fans and PFMs with talk of lining pockets etc.

SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by SheepRanger » Wed May 17, 2017 7:54 pm

When do we normally announce the players we're letting go and who is on the transfer list? Surely cant be far off? Other clubs have made announcements already.

Satch
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Wed May 17, 2017 8:07 pm

Don't contracts normally run until June 1st? I assume it would be after then.

DAVEf
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by DAVEf » Thu May 18, 2017 1:30 am

deadendjob wrote:
Tue May 16, 2017 6:17 pm
Grant Hanley's been released by Toon. Think he'd be a good addition to the squad. Reliable Championship player.
My only comments on that must be --- how much of him have you actually seen? And if he really is a decent/reliable Championship defender domiciled in the NE why would he (as a Scot who has played all his football in the North) ignore the other clubs that will be after him offering more money than we can so he can upsticks (probably leaving family and friends) and move right down south to live in (one of the?) the most expensive city in Europe?

Just commenting. And wondering.
"My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind".

DAVEf
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by DAVEf » Thu May 18, 2017 1:44 am

What is sure is if it's only going to be "3 or 4" signings (and we assume the policy of no loans will still apply --- and nobody say they feel like dancing!!) then they are gonna have to be pretty special players.

Bog-standard reliable would still leave us with a lot of players (a majority) who have proved they mostly aren't (or haven't been so far?). One (or more likely two) will have to be a bit special (maybe like Jota has been at Brentford but there are a good few examples of players appearing from "nowhere" and really standing out) in order for this current squad to even progress away from the bottom third. And whatever has been (or gets) said, if things aren't going well by Christmas, I'd suggest Olly should be looking at what Sky Sports can offer him in employment terms

All that's not to say I will give up hope of a good season until until at least the first month has passed --- that would be ---- disloyal.
"My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind".

deadendjob
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by deadendjob » Sat May 20, 2017 12:34 am

DAVEf wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 1:30 am
deadendjob wrote:
Grant Hanley's been released by Toon. Think he'd be a good addition to the squad. Reliable Championship player.
My only comments on that must be --- how much of him have you actually seen? And if he really is a decent/reliable Championship defender domiciled in the NE why would he (as a Scot who has played all his football in the North) ignore the other clubs that will be after him offering more money than we can so he can upsticks (probably leaving family and friends) and move right down south to live in (one of the?) the most expensive city in Europe?

My family live in Whitley Bay. No, I didn't see much of him this season and neither did many others as he only made 5 appearances in the League and 3 a piece in the cups. He was behind Clarke and Lacelles - both whom had a decent season. He didn't really do himself many favours the handful of times he did start, but that would probably be related more to lack of game time - I would imagine.

He was solid for Blackburn while he was there, good with his head, strong, reputation as a leader. His level would be the Championship - so perfectly suited to us especially while we rebuild. He's only 25 so still potential to learn.

DAVEf
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by DAVEf » Sat May 20, 2017 1:28 pm

deadendjob wrote:
Sat May 20, 2017 12:34 am
DAVEf wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 1:30 am
deadendjob wrote:

My family live in Whitley Bay. No, I didn't see much of him this season and neither did many others as he only made 5 appearances in the League and 3 a piece in the cups. He was behind Clarke and Lacelles - both whom had a decent season. He didn't really do himself many favours the handful of times he did start, but that would probably be related more to lack of game time - I would imagine.

He was solid for Blackburn while he was there, good with his head, strong, reputation as a leader. His level would be the Championship - so perfectly suited to us especially while we rebuild. He's only 25 so still potential to learn.
Still doesn't answer any of the points I raised relating to him actually joining QPR?

Esox Lucius
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Esox Lucius » Sat May 20, 2017 3:27 pm

SheepRanger wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 7:54 pm
When do we normally announce the players we're letting go and who is on the transfer list? Surely cant be far off? Other clubs have made announcements already.
It's already on the official site.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.