QPR boss Ian Holloway targeting 'three or four' new signings

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

Rbee
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

QPR boss Ian Holloway targeting 'three or four' new signings

Post by Rbee » Tue May 16, 2017 11:42 am

QPR boss Ian Holloway targeting 'three or four' new signings as preparations get underway

Manager says he doesn't want to make the same recruitment errors that the club has made in recent years.

QPR boss Ian Holloway has said he is targeting "three or four" new signings as he begins preparations for next season.

Holloway, who was speaking on Alan Brazil's Sports Breakfast on TalkSport, also spoke of how he doesn't get the same amount of calls from football agents as he used to.

He said: "I'm hoping for three or four new signings to make us a more steady team.

"If we get control of our budget the way we want to and the way we need to, you can then build from that position.

"Unfortunately now We don't get too many agents ringing us thinking that the gravy train is still running, they know it's dried up and they're not going to bother."

Holloway then went on to speak about how he wants to avoid the mistakes the club has made with recruitment in recent years.

He said: "What we don't want is people coming to us to fill their pockets with loads of money, and not have the right drive and desire on the pitch.

"Unfortunately QPR have seen that over the last few years."

Satch
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Re: QPR boss Ian Holloway targeting 'three or four' new signings

Post by Satch » Tue May 16, 2017 1:19 pm

"What we don't want is people coming to us to fill their pockets with loads of money, and not have the right drive and desire on the pitch.

Except we made that change after Redknapp left, it's a bit rich suggesting he's the one instituting such change. That hasn't been an issue with recent signings (other than JET). But you know, it's sounds good when you're on the radio.

Esox Lucius
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Esox Lucius » Tue May 16, 2017 1:22 pm

In other news, Alec Stock has resigned as manager. :roll: He can't help himself can he? If he loves the media spotlight so much then perhaps that is where his true calling is.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

sohamranger
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by sohamranger » Tue May 16, 2017 1:31 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Tue May 16, 2017 1:22 pm
In other news, Alec Stock has resigned as manager. :roll: He can't help himself can he? If he loves the media spotlight so much then perhaps that is where his true calling is.
We can live in hope

Satch
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Tue May 16, 2017 1:39 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Tue May 16, 2017 1:22 pm
Sadly i agree, it was frustrating first time around, this time it's incessant and imo detrimental (as well as being even more annoying). I'd put him on a complete media ban unless it's requested by the club.

3 or 4 new signings being code for this wasn't my fault.

Tbh, i've seen fans of other clubs thank us for reducing how much time he is on TV. He's a laughing stock amongst most.

Rbee
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Tue May 16, 2017 2:06 pm

A laughing stock maybe but you cannot ignore the fact that he has put together several teams during his managerial career that have got promoted including once for us.

You have to wish him all the best and hope he can do well for us the second time around.

i hope all this white flag waving stuff coming from the club before the next season starts is a bit of a ruse and we will be able to improve the squad before August.

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by UxbridgeR » Tue May 16, 2017 2:14 pm

Satch wrote:
Tue May 16, 2017 1:19 pm
"What we don't want is people coming to us to fill their pockets with loads of money, and not have the right drive and desire on the pitch.

Except we made that change after Redknapp left, it's a bit rich suggesting he's the one instituting such change. That hasn't been an issue with recent signings (other than JET). But you know, it's sounds good when you're on the radio.
I agree that the change in our financial approach was instituted long before he returned, so he can't claim any credit for that.

I think three or four new signings is probably fair enough though, especially assuming we will also be moving a few on. Every club will bring in some new personnel over the summer. I'd be worried if he were suggesting wholesale changes to the squad.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

old pauline
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by old pauline » Tue May 16, 2017 2:34 pm

We need quality signings. I think the ethic goes without saying and has done now for over a year and that's borne out by the players that JFH signed who have moreorless all had the right attitude - apart from one or two (Gladwin and El Khayati) who lacked the confidence to give 100%.

The problem will be getting quality at the prices we can afford. I think we will have to try and pick up some good Premiership loanees like Abrahams and Brown at Bristol City and Huddersfield. Chelsea have got loads of good youngsters who won't be getting much of a look-in.
Come on you Sooopa ........

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Tue May 16, 2017 2:42 pm

If it really is 3 or 4 I think you're right, old pauline, the loan market will need to be used. I think we need more like 5 or 6 but a first choice CB and striker being top of the list.

flatfoot
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by flatfoot » Tue May 16, 2017 3:13 pm

John Terry's free...

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Tue May 16, 2017 4:20 pm

flatfoot wrote:
Tue May 16, 2017 3:13 pm
John Terry's free...
Shocking. Lock him up...

qpray
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by qpray » Tue May 16, 2017 6:13 pm

Hollowhead signing players, heaven help us.

deadendjob
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by deadendjob » Tue May 16, 2017 6:17 pm

Grant Hanley's been released by Toon. Think he'd be a good addition to the squad. Reliable Championship player.

stainesranger
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by stainesranger » Tue May 16, 2017 7:09 pm

While the more sensible approach was instigated pre-Holloway I don't think there's any problem with the manager reiterating the fact that he's singing from the same hymn sheet.

I did think it was weird when he gave an interview to sky during a televised match while play was ongoing. Watch the match! Yeah

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Damien » Wed May 17, 2017 4:40 pm

dm wrote:
Tue May 16, 2017 4:20 pm
flatfoot wrote:
Tue May 16, 2017 3:13 pm
John Terry's free...
Shocking. Lock zhim up...
:lol: