Updates on new stadium, training ground and more

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

Post Reply
User avatar
Rbee
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger
Posts: 4175
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:01 pm
Location: Bedfordshire

Re: Updates on new stadium, training ground and more

Post by Rbee » Wed May 17, 2017 4:15 pm

Charlie’s transfer wasn’t that clear cut and it was a case of getting something rather than nothing before he left on a free. Clubs weren’t queuing up for his signature.

As for the managerial appointments, Chris Ramsey’s was a strange one for sure but the other two were fine by me.

Agree with you though about Mike not being the brightest, lolol :D

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor
Posts: 9716
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:23 pm
Location: Northern Ireland

Re: Updates on new stadium, training ground and more

Post by Damien » Wed May 17, 2017 5:03 pm

Modest signings and the new training facilities would seem to be the way forward for our beleaguered club. We simply have to learn to walk before we start running. The stadium seems a long way off at the moment. Of course the FFP could make it all irrelevant. The glory days of QPR and the expectation that they would continue indefinitely... seem but a distant memory.

User avatar
dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007
Posts: 11801
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:21 pm
Location: Just over the border...

Re: Updates on new stadium, training ground and more

Post by dm » Wed May 17, 2017 5:14 pm

DAVEf wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 1:30 pm
dm wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 7:41 am
DAVEf wrote:
Tue May 16, 2017 10:43 pm
That's really your problem and not relevant to proven facts or expert opinions...
Your "proven facts or expert opinions", if that's what they were, have done nothing to address the question, "Would a new stadium convert someone into a QPR fan."

Statistically (therefore "proven"?) most clubs that have built new stadiums (or majorly developed their existing grounds) in the last twenty years have either increased attendances and/or revenue and/or league status.

So to address (and answer) the question --- "Yes". a new stadium would almost certainly play a part in converting some current non-QPR fans into QPR fans.

Overall it would increase our fan-base and revenue turn-over. There are no guarantees --- but given the numbers, it is a very, very likely outcome.

PS Revenue is every bit as important as attendances because without revenue there would be little chance of success in playing terms and such success will always be the major driver in increasing attendances and (as a side-effect) the over-all fan-base.
You may be right about your statistics, but as you give none how can we know, and how can you suggest that it's proven?

In this Torygraph article: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/0/h ... ince-1988/ of 33 examples given of what happened after teams moved stadium, we find clubs like Chester City and Darlington dissolved and clubs like Millwall, Derby, Bolton and Doncaster now playing in lower leagues to the ones they were in when they moved.

Others are playing in the same league and Oxford are still building theirs after 16 years of playing there.

And then, of course, we have Coventry and the Ricoh Arena...

There are those who have moved stadia and gone on to do well such as Swansea, Stoke and Leicester. However, I am not convinced your insistence that building a new stadium would make an “…increase (of) our fan-base and revenue turn-over … a very, very likely outcome” is sound. But should you have statistics to prove otherwise I would be interested to see them.
Last edited by dm on Wed May 17, 2017 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Rbee
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger
Posts: 4175
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:01 pm
Location: Bedfordshire

Re: Updates on new stadium, training ground and more

Post by Rbee » Wed May 17, 2017 5:18 pm

I agree dm, you would get some fans coming in for a game or two to see the new stadium but only a team playing good football, a marquee signing or Premier League football would attract regular new fans.

At the moment we are not close to any of those.

User avatar
Esox Lucius
dot.org legend
dot.org legend
Posts: 19245
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:17 pm
Location: Banbury, Oxon.

Re: Updates on new stadium, training ground and more

Post by Esox Lucius » Wed May 17, 2017 8:45 pm

New stadium will attract new supporters, especially with the area development.
Last edited by Esox Lucius on Wed May 17, 2017 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

User avatar
Esox Lucius
dot.org legend
dot.org legend
Posts: 19245
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:17 pm
Location: Banbury, Oxon.

Re: Updates on new stadium, training ground and more

Post by Esox Lucius » Wed May 17, 2017 8:47 pm

Albert Steptoe wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 2:52 pm
Esox Lucius wrote:
Tue May 16, 2017 6:26 pm
I don't believe you are a QPR supporter for a single minute
Why? Because I am critical of the sacred cow that is Les Ferdinand? Fantastic player for us but he's succeeded in taking us from the Premier League to one result away from League One in less than two-and-a-half years, made three appalling managerial appointments (arguably his most important task), and sold Charlie Austin for £4m rather than £12m.

You don't seem the brightest, so I'll break it to you: he's getting paid a handsome sum for his work. You'd think he was donating his time for free the amount of love he gets on here.
pribbling idle-headed giglet off back to Scumford Bridge Troll.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

User avatar
Andy_N19
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger
Posts: 2919
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:37 pm

Re: Updates on new stadium, training ground and more

Post by Andy_N19 » Wed May 17, 2017 8:57 pm

JC wrote:
Tue May 16, 2017 5:59 pm
And genuine question - do you think there are buyers out there who could deliver this? A quick look at recent club purchases (Leeds, Birmingham, Blackburn, Orient...) suggests we might actually have a better deal than most
Agreed, I look at Orient and with a bad wind we could be there too.
The plans seem sober and realistic and I'm happy with that.

On the pitch? I'd be happy with us going down a Southampton road in that respect,
the performances surely can't surpass loosing half a dozen matches on the spin
twice in a season?
Staff Benda Bilili

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor
Posts: 9716
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:23 pm
Location: Northern Ireland

Re: Updates on new stadium, training ground and more

Post by Damien » Wed May 17, 2017 9:27 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 8:47 pm
Albert Steptoe wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 2:52 pm
Esox Lucius wrote:
Tue May 16, 2017 6:26 pm
I don't believe you are a QPR supporter for a single minute
Why? Because I am critical of the sacred cow that is Les Ferdinand? Fantastic player for us but he's succeeded in taking us from the Premier League to one result away from League One in less than two-and-a-half years, made three appalling managerial appointments (arguably his most important task), and sold Charlie Austin for £4m rather than £12m.

You don't seem the brightest, so I'll break it to you: he's getting paid a handsome sum for his work. You'd think he was donating his time for free the amount of love he gets on here.
pribbling idle-headed giglet off back to Scumford Bridge Troll.
Don't dish it out Esox if you don't expect some back. You can be very disrespectful at times on here. Just disagree and leave out the personal stuff please. Peace, Love and all that... even Tories :wink:

User avatar
DAVEf
dot.org vip
dot.org vip
Posts: 27507
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:38 pm

Re: Updates on new stadium, training ground and more

Post by DAVEf » Wed May 17, 2017 11:27 pm

dm wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 5:14 pm
DAVEf wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 1:30 pm
dm wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 7:41 am


Your "proven facts or expert opinions", if that's what they were, have done nothing to address the question, "Would a new stadium convert someone into a QPR fan."

Statistically (therefore "proven"?) most clubs that have built new stadiums (or majorly developed their existing grounds) in the last twenty years have either increased attendances and/or revenue and/or league status.

So to address (and answer) the question --- "Yes". a new stadium would almost certainly play a part in converting some current non-QPR fans into QPR fans.

Overall it would increase our fan-base and revenue turn-over. There are no guarantees --- but given the numbers, it is a very, very likely outcome.

PS Revenue is every bit as important as attendances because without revenue there would be little chance of success in playing terms and such success will always be the major driver in increasing attendances and (as a side-effect) the over-all fan-base.
You may be right about your statistics, but as you give none how can we know, and how can you suggest that it's proven?

In this Torygraph article: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/0/h ... ince-1988/ of 33 examples given of what happened after teams moved stadium, we find clubs like Chester City and Darlington dissolved and clubs like Millwall, Derby, Bolton and Doncaster now playing in lower leagues to the ones they were in when they moved.

Others are playing in the same league and Oxford are still building theirs after 16 years of playing there.

And then, of course, we have Coventry and the Ricoh Arena...

There are those who have moved stadia and gone on to do well such as Swansea, Stoke and Leicester. However, I am not convinced your insistence that building a new stadium would make an “…increase (of) our fan-base and revenue turn-over … a very, very likely outcome” is sound. But should you have statistics to prove otherwise I would be interested to see them.

So you're saying because you haven't seen them you are refusing to believe they exist? SO much easier for you than actually bothering to check them out for yourself. Or use simple common-snse and onservation?

This is like a scientist (me) who has seen the facts arguing with a religious fanatic (you) who prefers to believe in what he believes in.

That's handy for you --- if blatantly stupid.

And it's never sensible arguing with "stupid" --- it's always just a waste of good time and energy,



Apart from pointing out for others who might comprehend some relevant truths:

Promoted: Newcastle (regularly full 52K+ stadium) and Brighton (new stadium opened 2011-2012).

Play-off final between: Huddersfield (new stadium completed 1998) and Reading (new stadium opened 1998).

I suppose Leicester might also deserve a mention (new stadium opened in 2002 --- though not quite finished I seem to remember)

Also: 1990-91 --- Prior to the clubs mentioned building new stadiums:
QPR --- Prem/1st Division 12th
Brighton --- 2nd Division 6th
Huddersfield --- 3rd Division 11th
Reading --- 3rd Division 15th

Also in 1990 -91, Bolton, Stoke, Swansea and Wigan were all in Division 3 (while Cardiff finished 13th in Diviion 6) before all building new stadiums and rising to attain Premier league status.

Actual "attendances" are somewhat irrelevant considering the gradual change to all (or mostly) seated stadiums and the long trend of rising pices of tickets

What does matter is the revenue any club takes in over a season over and above TV rights, FA prize money and ticket revenue. IE What is spent in the ground at times when football is not being watched (before, during, at HT and after and on non-football match days).
"My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind".

Satch
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger
Posts: 2499
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:34 am
Location: New York City

Re: Updates on new stadium, training ground and more

Post by Satch » Thu May 18, 2017 12:00 pm

Damien wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 9:27 pm
Esox Lucius wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 8:47 pm
Albert Steptoe wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 2:52 pm


Why? Because I am critical of the sacred cow that is Les Ferdinand? Fantastic player for us but he's succeeded in taking us from the Premier League to one result away from League One in less than two-and-a-half years, made three appalling managerial appointments (arguably his most important task), and sold Charlie Austin for £4m rather than £12m.

You don't seem the brightest, so I'll break it to you: he's getting paid a handsome sum for his work. You'd think he was donating his time for free the amount of love he gets on here.
pribbling idle-headed giglet off back to Scumford Bridge Troll.
Don't dish it out Esox if you don't expect some back. You can be very disrespectful at times on here. Just disagree and leave out the personal stuff please. Peace, Love and all that... even Tories :wink:
Too far.

User avatar
Esox Lucius
dot.org legend
dot.org legend
Posts: 19245
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:17 pm
Location: Banbury, Oxon.

Re: Updates on new stadium, training ground and more

Post by Esox Lucius » Thu May 18, 2017 12:12 pm

Damien wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 9:27 pm
Don't dish it out to Chelshit fans Esox if you don't expect some back. You can be very disrespectful to them at times on here. Just disagree and leave out the personal stuff please. Peace, Love and all that... even Tories :wink:
I don't understand why he is allowed to post on a QPR supporters forum.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

User avatar
UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 9081
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:45 pm

Re: Updates on new stadium, training ground and more

Post by UxbridgeR » Thu May 18, 2017 12:53 pm

DAVEf wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 11:27 pm

Apart from pointing out for others who might comprehend some relevant truths:

Promoted: Newcastle (regularly full 52K+ stadium) and Brighton (new stadium opened 2011-2012).

Play-off final between: Huddersfield (new stadium completed 1998) and Reading (new stadium opened 1998).

I suppose Leicester might also deserve a mention (new stadium opened in 2002 --- though not quite finished I seem to remember)
While not disagreeing with the general thrust of your argument, it's something of a stretch to attribute Huddersfield and Reading's success this season to stadia that were built nearly 20 years ago.

5 years after they built their new home, Huddersfield had been relegated twice, and it took them 12 years to get back to the level they started at. The three teams relegated from the PL this year all have relatively new stadia, as do Wigan and Rotherham, both going down to League 1, and Coventry and Chesterfield, dropping into League Two.

An awful lot can change at a club over a 20 year period. A new ground is only one factor, albeit a significant one.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

Albert Steptoe
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 5033
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:22 pm

Re: Updates on new stadium, training ground and more

Post by Albert Steptoe » Thu May 18, 2017 2:13 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 12:12 pm
I don't understand why he is allowed to post on a QPR supporters forum.
I'm a season ticket holder in the Ellerslie Road (or at least was last season). I just happen to think we are still being run ineptly. Still, if you're happy getting turned over home and away by Brentford and watching record home defeats, I guess that makes you a 'true' QPR fan. Congratulations!

User avatar
Esox Lucius
dot.org legend
dot.org legend
Posts: 19245
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:17 pm
Location: Banbury, Oxon.

Re: Updates on new stadium, training ground and more

Post by Esox Lucius » Thu May 18, 2017 2:34 pm

Glad to see you haven't renewed your ficticious S/T troll.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

Albert Steptoe
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 5033
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:22 pm

Re: Updates on new stadium, training ground and more

Post by Albert Steptoe » Thu May 18, 2017 3:56 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 2:34 pm
Glad to see you haven't renewed your ficticious S/T troll.
Still got until the end of the month. :wink:

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 26 guests