Updates on new stadium, training ground and more

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Re: Updates on new stadium, training ground and more

Post by UxbridgeR » Tue May 16, 2017 7:01 pm

JC wrote:
Tue May 16, 2017 5:59 pm
Albert Steptoe wrote:
Tue May 16, 2017 5:15 pm

Fernandes has failed to sort out a stadium/training ground for the last six years. He needs to sell up to someone who can deliver.

I'm a season ticket holder, actually. Just fed up with Uncle Bungle and his incompetence.
I could understand some of the frustration at Fernandes' performance e.g. player / manager acquisition, but failing to deliver a new ground in six years? - Did you genuinely think that was a reasonable time frame to evaluate that on?

And genuine question - do you think there are buyers out there who could deliver this? A quick look at recent club purchases (Leeds, Birmingham, Blackburn, Orient...) suggests we might actually have a better deal than most
It was Fernandes himself that set those expectations, from very soon after the takeover. As recently as December 2013, he was saying we would be in the new stadium by the 2017-18 season.

You can hardly blame people for being disappointed that we are no nearer it now than we were when he took over.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

222gers
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Tue May 16, 2017 8:01 pm

Rbee wrote:
Tue May 16, 2017 1:50 am
I bought 10,000 shares when QPR went on the Stockmarket.

Not again, once bitten and all that.
Courage mon ami. I read in this mornings paper that a quid invested in Amazon when it went public in 1997 would be worth a cool £490 now. You could support the Rangers and become a rich man !

Rbee
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Tue May 16, 2017 8:16 pm

Hmmm, ok then, I will buy a quids worth of the new stadium.

My share dealings aren't always as bad as the QPR experience. I met a guy on the tube in 1986 and I didn't quite catch his name, something like Will Bates and he suggested that I invest in an up and coming software company.

Northolt_Rs
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by Northolt_Rs » Tue May 16, 2017 8:32 pm

UxbridgeR wrote:
Tue May 16, 2017 7:01 pm
JC wrote:
Tue May 16, 2017 5:59 pm
Albert Steptoe wrote:
Tue May 16, 2017 5:15 pm

Fernandes has failed to sort out a stadium/training ground for the last six years. He needs to sell up to someone who can deliver.

I'm a season ticket holder, actually. Just fed up with Uncle Bungle and his incompetence.
I could understand some of the frustration at Fernandes' performance e.g. player / manager acquisition, but failing to deliver a new ground in six years? - Did you genuinely think that was a reasonable time frame to evaluate that on?

And genuine question - do you think there are buyers out there who could deliver this? A quick look at recent club purchases (Leeds, Birmingham, Blackburn, Orient...) suggests we might actually have a better deal than most
It was Fernandes himself that set those expectations, from very soon after the takeover. As recently as December 2013, he was saying we would be in the new stadium by the 2017-18 season.

You can hardly blame people for being disappointed that we are no nearer it now than we were when he took over.
Plus we were a Premier League team when he took over....

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by UxbridgeR » Tue May 16, 2017 9:04 pm

Well, yeah, that too. Nice bloke though by all accounts.

DAVEf
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by DAVEf » Tue May 16, 2017 10:43 pm

dm wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 9:03 pm
Wegerle wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 8:43 pm
Esox Lucius wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 6:54 pm

Build it and they will come. Look what happened in the PO final, we attracted over 40,000 "fans" :lol:
That does seem the fashion when new stadiums are built by clubs. I always wonder where these new ''fans'' were when there where plenty of empty seats in the old stadium?
Good point Wegerle. Would those who don't attend LR or don't attend very often suddenly become regulars if we had a new stadium? Would a bit more leg room and easier trips to the loo attract significant new numbers?

I am not against a new stadium but as a very long standing supporter it's difficult for me to understand why a new one would convert someone into a QPR fan.
That's really your problem and not relevant to proven facts or expert opinions when it comes to location and population turnover in a place like London but if you don't want to know, no amount of sensible logic will convince you.

What you might understand is that clubs have ups and downs. The clubs that do well tend to do so because they capitalise on the good times. Reading will go to to the play-off final knowing they have planning permission to extend their stadium up to a capacity of 36,900 and have existing facilities to exploit increased fan interest on (and outside) of matchdays.

Huddersfield may have been a surprise team but they have a newish multi-use stadium with multi-functional banqueting and conference facilities etc to keep the income ticking over in quiet times and they can be more exploited in successful times. They have simply kept ticking over and had the funds available to strengthen when the right time (as it it does for most clubs) came along. Sheffield Wednesday, meanwhile, already have a stadium worthy of the Prem. Brighton clung on through bad times and built a stadium that, given the club's location, was always going to be of great importance to their progress.

Maybe we didn't make the most of opportunities when times where good but where we are now, needing income to survive at Championship level, let alone thrive, is in a position behind many of those who we will be competing with simply due to the facilities available to the club for creating cash-flow. We need the new stadium --- and soon --- or else we will be so far behind others chasing dreams we might as well not bother.

PS As a floating fan, maybe new to living and/or working in London and looking to take family/kids to football you try just getting three (or four!!) seats together at LR in anywhere other than the most expensive parts because, well, good luck with that. Empty seats can be a good sign simply because when people DO want to use them they are their to be used. And as any parent can testify, taking a family to a football match involves spending more than on just the cost of the tickets. Although many at LR don't bother because the facilities are so old and cramped they prefer to spend their lovely money outside of LR (before and after games) and just watch games (while spending little else except on maybe a programme). Those potential new fans are the ones who will increase the fan-base and the existing ones able to actually happily spend in LR would do so in good times or bad.
"My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind".

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Wed May 17, 2017 7:41 am

DAVEf wrote:
Tue May 16, 2017 10:43 pm
That's really your problem and not relevant to proven facts or expert opinions...
Your "proven facts or expert opinions", if that's what they were, have done nothing to address the question, "Would a new stadium convert someone into a QPR fan."

Of course most people would find a new stadium better than LR, but that's not the question. Would more people attend matches if we had a new stadium? I would expect so initially for all sorts of reasons but would they then automatically become regular supporters? No, other things have to take place for that to happen. The club appears to work hard on the supporter experience which obviously helps but I think the process of becoming a regular fan of a football club is far greater than things like having a 'nice' stadium or a fans zone.

As I said, I am not against a new stadium. The club clearly needs one for it's survival let alone success. I simply do not believe it's the answer to increasing our fan base.

superh00p
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by superh00p » Wed May 17, 2017 10:59 am

Rbee wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 6:52 pm
So if the owners aren't willing to release some funds to enable the manager to build a squad capable of challenging for a top six finish at some point in the next few seasons what is the point in building a new stadium?

The majority of our fans are getting on a bit and will slowly drift away over time. I am not advocating Hughesesque spending but there has to be a happy medium.
I thought that with the FFP rules in place the owners digging into their pockets to spend big isn't an option any more?

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by UxbridgeR » Wed May 17, 2017 11:44 am

superh00p wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 10:59 am
Rbee wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 6:52 pm
So if the owners aren't willing to release some funds to enable the manager to build a squad capable of challenging for a top six finish at some point in the next few seasons what is the point in building a new stadium?

The majority of our fans are getting on a bit and will slowly drift away over time. I am not advocating Hughesesque spending but there has to be a happy medium.
I thought that with the FFP rules in place the owners digging into their pockets to spend big isn't an option any more?
It depends on what you mean by "spend big", I suppose.

Championship clubs are allowed to lose up to £13M a season under the current rules, so it's not as if we are obliged to break even or make a profit.

Having said that, we lost £11M last season, so even though the wage bill will have reduced further since then, it probably doesn't leave us much leeway in terms of transfer spending, unless we generate money through player sales first.

Rbee
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Wed May 17, 2017 12:14 pm

There is

Sensible / Quite Big Spending

Big Spending - If we get the chance to sign a player or two of top quality

Huge Spending - Oh oh are you sure you know what you are doing?

Mark Hughes Spending

Option one all day long of course. Most fans want to see some improvement and progression whilst some fans want instant success.

Satch
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Wed May 17, 2017 12:35 pm

Was Huges spending worse than Redknapp's?

Rbee
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Wed May 17, 2017 12:39 pm

Satch wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 12:35 pm
Was Huges spending worse than Redknapp's?
I think so, yes. Not only in fees but salaries too.

Satch
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Wed May 17, 2017 1:25 pm

I guess Hughes' might look worse on a net basis as they mostly flopped. That said most of the turnover was pretty rapid, so might have saved on wages.

Redknapp did at least make the money back on a few ("I'm not a fackin wheeler dealer"). But i think the outlay was higher, contracts worse and a few loan fees.

Both were appalling.

DAVEf
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by DAVEf » Wed May 17, 2017 1:30 pm

dm wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 7:41 am
DAVEf wrote:
Tue May 16, 2017 10:43 pm
That's really your problem and not relevant to proven facts or expert opinions...
Your "proven facts or expert opinions", if that's what they were, have done nothing to address the question, "Would a new stadium convert someone into a QPR fan."

Statistically (therefore "proven"?) most clubs that have built new stadiums (or majorly developed their existing grounds) in the last twenty years have either increased attendances and/or revenue and/or league status.

So to address (and answer) the question --- "Yes". a new stadium would almost certainly play a part in converting some current non-QPR fans into QPR fans.

Overall it would increase our fan-base and revenue turn-over. There are no guarantees --- but given the numbers, it is a very, very likely outcome.

PS Revenue is every bit as important as attendances because without revenue there would be little chance of success in playing terms and such success will always be the major driver in increasing attendances and (as a side-effect) the over-all fan-base.
"My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind".

Albert Steptoe
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Albert Steptoe » Wed May 17, 2017 2:52 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Tue May 16, 2017 6:26 pm
I don't believe you are a QPR supporter for a single minute
Why? Because I am critical of the sacred cow that is Les Ferdinand? Fantastic player for us but he's succeeded in taking us from the Premier League to one result away from League One in less than two-and-a-half years, made three appalling managerial appointments (arguably his most important task), and sold Charlie Austin for £4m rather than £12m.

You don't seem the brightest, so I'll break it to you: he's getting paid a handsome sum for his work. You'd think he was donating his time for free the amount of love he gets on here.