Updates on new stadium, training ground and more

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Updates on new stadium, training ground and more

Post by dm » Mon May 15, 2017 1:21 pm

Supporters Consultation Committee – 3rd May 2017 http://www.qpr.co.uk/documents/scc-minu ... 715998.pdf

Some headlines...

Linford Christie Stadium site now the most likely new stadium option and only one in the locality. OOC looks almost gone. LCS 16 acres - Loftus Road approximately 5 acres. Considering a 30k capacity football stadium and a new adjacent community sport and athletic facility.

Training ground costing around £15-16m, with £7-10m raised by supporter bonds. Build time 2 years (in time for 2020/21?). Next hurdle is the footpath appeal scheduled for September.

The club's financial sustainability looking difficult with decreasing parachute payments. Hoos sees the Academy as 'crucial'.

---

All in all it feels like the board are now intent on cutting the coat according to the cloth. About time too.

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Re: Updates on new stadium, training ground and more

Post by 222gers » Mon May 15, 2017 2:12 pm

Yes, it's looking more and more that we will be relying on youngsters with the parachute payments gone after next year. Rod Liddle ( yeah, I know ) was calling for the end of parachute payments in his Times column. His reading of the situation was that the Championship is dividing the same way as the Premiership ie, rich ( parachute recipients ) in the top half, everone else in the bottom half and fearing relegation to Div 1.

Esox Lucius
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Esox Lucius » Mon May 15, 2017 2:32 pm

dm wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 1:21 pm
Supporters Consultation Committee – 3rd May 2017 http://www.qpr.co.uk/documents/scc-minu ... 715998.pdf

Some headlines...

Linford Christie Stadium site now the most likely new stadium option and only one in the locality. OOC looks almost gone. LCS 16 acres - Loftus Road approximately 5 acres. Considering a 30k capacity football stadium and a new adjacent community sport and athletic facility.

Training ground costing around £15-16m, with £7-10m raised by supporter bonds. Build time 2 years (in time for 2020/21?). Next hurdle is the footpath appeal scheduled for September.

The club's financial sustainability looking difficult with decreasing parachute payments. Hoos sees the Academy as 'crucial'.

---

All in all it feels like the board are now intent on cutting the coat according to the cloth. About time too.
That won't sit well with those who want to see us pushing for promotion and playing attractive football every week. I can see those much maligned Chelshit trolls QPR ray & Steptoe having a field day on here next season. :roll:
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

Satch
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Mon May 15, 2017 2:56 pm

It's the reality going forward.

Re: Parachute payments. Whilst it's an interesting point, the problem is you basically going to hamstring promoted clubs who aren't going to be able to improve their squads to compete if they can't rely on the extra revenue to support them through relegation.

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by QPR_John » Mon May 15, 2017 6:10 pm

Satch wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 2:56 pm
It's the reality going forward.

Re: Parachute payments. Whilst it's an interesting point, the problem is you basically going to hamstring promoted clubs who aren't going to be able to improve their squads to compete if they can't rely on the extra revenue to support them through relegation.
Agree about parachute payments

deadendjob
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by deadendjob » Mon May 15, 2017 6:28 pm

Cheers for posting DM. Sounds very positive aside from the clubs financial position - but there are no surprises there really.

Rbee
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Mon May 15, 2017 6:52 pm

So if the owners aren't willing to release some funds to enable the manager to build a squad capable of challenging for a top six finish at some point in the next few seasons what is the point in building a new stadium?

The majority of our fans are getting on a bit and will slowly drift away over time. I am not advocating Hughesesque spending but there has to be a happy medium.

Esox Lucius
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Esox Lucius » Mon May 15, 2017 6:54 pm

Rbee wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 6:52 pm
So if the owners aren't willing to release some funds to enable the manager to build a squad capable of challenging for a top six finish at some point in the next few seasons what is the point in building a new stadium?

The majority of our fans are getting on a bit and will slowly drift away over time. I am not advocating Hughesesque spending but there has to be a happy medium.
Build it and they will come. Look what happened in the PO final, we attracted over 40,000 "fans" :lol:
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

Rbee
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Mon May 15, 2017 6:58 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 6:54 pm
Rbee wrote:

Build it and they will come. Look what happened in the PO final, we attracted over 40,000 "fans" :lol:
Hmmm, they won't unless we are playing some decent football. I am sure we will get plenty of help from various sources to build the stadium but the running costs of a 16 acre site compared to a 5 acre site in central London will be high unless all the add on's around the stadium produce good revenue streams.

New Stadium and wonderful training facilities are fantastic for our club but unless we have a team at least in the top third of The Championship what's the point?

Wegerle
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Wegerle » Mon May 15, 2017 8:43 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Rbee wrote:

That does seem the fashion when new stadiums are built by clubs. I always wonder where these new ''fans'' were when there where plenty of empty seats in the old stadium?

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Mon May 15, 2017 9:03 pm

Wegerle wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 8:43 pm
Esox Lucius wrote:
Rbee wrote:

That does seem the fashion when new stadiums are built by clubs. I always wonder where these new ''fans'' were when there where plenty of empty seats in the old stadium?
Good point Wegerle. Would those who don't attend LR or don't attend very often suddenly become regulars if we had a new stadium? Would a bit more leg room and easier trips to the loo attract significant new numbers?

I am not against a new stadium but as a very long standing supporter it's difficult for me to understand why a new one would convert someone into a QPR fan.

Satch
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Mon May 15, 2017 9:22 pm

The only thing that is going to increase the number of fans is going to be us being a successful premier league club. Even then i'm not sure we're going to regularly get 30k. We need it for 'when' we get to that stage, but will need it ready so i guess we gamble on it in advance. I hope there is a way to develop it in phases. The only thing that could have made the past season worse would be playing in a stadium less than half full.

I don't know if Hoos thinks the numbers add up and it's beneficial for us to be playing somewhere new, prior to us needing the space.

On the whole the Academy and Training facility seems a lot more important at this stage.

SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by SheepRanger » Mon May 15, 2017 9:28 pm

Rbee wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 6:58 pm
Esox Lucius wrote:
Rbee wrote:

Hmmm, they won't unless we are playing some decent football. I am sure we will get plenty of help from various sources to build the stadium but the running costs of a 16 acre site compared to a 5 acre site in central London will be high unless all the add on's around the stadium produce good revenue streams.

New Stadium and wonderful training facilities are fantastic for our club but unless we have a team at least in the top third of The Championship what's the point?
Makes the club more saleable with all the infrastructure already in place?

deadendjob
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by deadendjob » Mon May 15, 2017 9:32 pm

The thinking is probably along the lines that the population is growing which means the number of people attending matches is likely to happen.

Satch
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Mon May 15, 2017 9:37 pm

I think the theory is that better training facilities and an academy are critical to us improving on the pitch.