Relegated Championship Players to sign

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

User avatar
Esox Lucius
dot.org legend
dot.org legend
Posts: 19173
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:17 pm
Location: Banbury, Oxon.

Re: Relegated Championship Players to sign

Post by Esox Lucius » Thu May 11, 2017 8:43 am

Bogle didn't look too good when he played against us for Wigan and only scored once every 4 games. He may improve at this level but it would be a gamble. I can't think of any player we have signed from a relegated club that has gone on and done really well for us this century. We may do better trying to get a loanee from one of the top 4-5 youth club teams a la Patrick Bamford, Jordan Ibe, Tammy Abraham etc. Perhaps an offer to someone like Ruben Loftus-Cheek or Ola Aina at Chelsea might meet with approval or Pablo Maffeo at Man City. Even Thierry Ambrose at City, who is recovering from a bad injury, but looked a good striker in their FA Youth Cup teams before the injury.
As a club, QPR will be cutting their cloth to suit until the new stadium comes onstream and I honestly don't expect us to do much better next season than we have this season. I'll still have my S/T for next year and I'm sure I will be pissed off after many games but we are where we are and I'll get over it. 15th to 18th again next year is my prediction. I will be very happy if they exceed expectations though. :D
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

User avatar
UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 9058
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:45 pm

Re: Relegated Championship Players to sign

Post by UxbridgeR » Thu May 11, 2017 8:46 am

QPR1976 wrote:
Thu May 11, 2017 8:00 am
Didn't Rotherham have a striker we were keen on before Smith ? Ward ?? Can't see him listed, have they sold him already ???
It was Danny Ward, but for some reason he is listed as a midfielder there.

His form seemed to fall away badly in the second half of the season,and they were asking silly money for him back in January.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

User avatar
WA Hoop
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 5517
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:04 pm
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: Relegated Championship Players to sign

Post by WA Hoop » Thu May 11, 2017 9:47 am

Interesting words from Phil McNulty (Taken from the BBC Chelscum v Boro report) regarding a couple of strikers many would have previously been delighted to see in the Hoops;

"Aitor Karanka, the man who brought Middlesbrough up but who left in March as the decline started to accelerate, was backed by chairman Steve Gibson in January but his attacking purchases were never going to provide the answer. Rudy Gestede arrived from Aston Villa and Patrick Bamford from Chelsea, but neither are of Premier League quality and the price was paid with relegation."

Still, just Championship quality would be a start.
Life is short, drink the good wine first.

old pauline
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger
Posts: 2946
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:06 pm
Location: Wimbledon
Contact:

Re: Relegated Championship Players to sign

Post by old pauline » Thu May 11, 2017 10:43 am

Never rated Patrick Bamford that highly - even if he has had a good goal-scoring rate in the past. Seems to me to be one of those strikers who has a tendency to 'wait' for chances, like Jay Simpson or a latter-day Darren Bent, rather than going out and creating them. We can't afford to have those types of players. We need strikers who can harry defenders into making mistakes and pop up unexpected to put away half chances. Sylla could do the job for us for 30 games or so a season if he was given the chance.
Come on you Sooopa ........

User avatar
ZENITH R
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8440
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:40 pm
Location: North Derbyshire

Re: Relegated Championship Players to sign

Post by ZENITH R » Thu May 11, 2017 5:51 pm

Apparently we are interested in Danny Graham and Elliott Bennett from Blackburn.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

User avatar
deadendjob
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger
Posts: 4741
Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 2:56 pm
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

Re: Relegated Championship Players to sign

Post by deadendjob » Thu May 11, 2017 6:10 pm

UxbridgeR wrote:
Thu May 11, 2017 8:46 am
QPR1976 wrote:
Thu May 11, 2017 8:00 am
Didn't Rotherham have a striker we were keen on before Smith ? Ward ?? Can't see him listed, have they sold him already ???
It was Danny Ward, but for some reason he is listed as a midfielder there.
Yeah sorry, grabbed all of that from Sky Sports and that's there they had him listed. Possibly was a winger?
Image

User avatar
deadendjob
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger
Posts: 4741
Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 2:56 pm
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

Re: Relegated Championship Players to sign

Post by deadendjob » Thu May 11, 2017 6:33 pm

ZENITH R wrote:
Thu May 11, 2017 5:51 pm
Apparently we are interested in Danny Graham and Elliott Bennett from Blackburn.
Danny Graham would be a reasonable signing on sensible wages. As mentioned earlier he got upwards of 10 goals this season (12 in 35). I think he's an improvement on Smith/Washington.

We all want a 20 goal striker, but there are few out there - especially those wanting to sign for a club that barely survived relegation.
Image

User avatar
Steiner
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger
Posts: 1713
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:37 pm
Location: Hemel Hempstead

Re: Relegated Championship Players to sign

Post by Steiner » Thu May 11, 2017 6:34 pm

Max Power
Yes. I don't even care if he's shit.

User avatar
BiscuitRanger
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger
Posts: 4985
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:19 am
Location: Johannesburg

Re: Relegated Championship Players to sign

Post by BiscuitRanger » Thu May 11, 2017 7:52 pm

Steiner wrote:
Thu May 11, 2017 6:34 pm
Max Power
Yes. I don't even care if he's shit.
So surely, by the same reckoning, we must sign that errant born skein headed twat scum sack Tiny Fury. Or roughly approximate words
Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out.

User avatar
ZENITH R
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8440
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:40 pm
Location: North Derbyshire

Re: Relegated Championship Players to sign

Post by ZENITH R » Fri May 12, 2017 7:55 pm

deadendjob wrote:
Thu May 11, 2017 6:33 pm
ZENITH R wrote:
Thu May 11, 2017 5:51 pm
Apparently we are interested in Danny Graham and Elliott Bennett from Blackburn.
Danny Graham would be a reasonable signing on sensible wages. As mentioned earlier he got upwards of 10 goals this season (12 in 35). I think he's an improvement on Smith/Washington.

We all want a 20 goal striker, but there are few out there - especially those wanting to sign for a club that barely survived relegation.
A lot of Blackburn fans think he is lazy - so if he signs you know how that one will go. Also, it's about the tactics and service any striker receives. As things stand - we have had provided none of our strikers with anything approaching decent service. On the odd occasion we have, we have scored. Hardly rocket science. Lionel Messi, Gareth Bale and Ronaldo would all have struggled had they played for our team from March onwards.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

User avatar
kernowhoop
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger
Posts: 1123
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:25 pm
Location: Plymouth, Devon

Re: Relegated Championship Players to sign

Post by kernowhoop » Sat May 13, 2017 6:42 am

ZENITH R wrote:
Fri May 12, 2017 7:55 pm
deadendjob wrote:
Thu May 11, 2017 6:33 pm
ZENITH R wrote:
Thu May 11, 2017 5:51 pm
Apparently we are interested in Danny Graham and Elliott Bennett from Blackburn.
Danny Graham would be a reasonable signing on sensible wages. As mentioned earlier he got upwards of 10 goals this season (12 in 35). I think he's an improvement on Smith/Washington.

We all want a 20 goal striker, but there are few out there - especially those wanting to sign for a club that barely survived relegation.
A lot of Blackburn fans think he is lazy - so if he signs you know how that one will go. Also, it's about the tactics and service any striker receives. As things stand - we have had provided none of our strikers with anything approaching decent service. On the odd occasion we have, we have scored. Hardly rocket science. Lionel Messi, Gareth Bale and Ronaldo would all have struggled had they played for our team from March onwards.
With the recent focus on height, we would probably have the same problem - with tactics and with fans' response - if we signed Max Headroom.
It's simple. Score more goals than they do.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests