Transfer rumours

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

Devonranger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Re: Transfer rumours

Post by Devonranger » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:56 pm

I do think we need an alternative formation to one up top where we can play two strikers effectively.

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:16 pm

So far all the pre-season games have been 4231, so it would appear that one up top is what it's going to be.

Devonranger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Devonranger » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:44 pm

I am sure the 4-2-3-1 can work well with the squad we are putting together but, surely a plan B or C where we adjust to playing two up front if we need to chase a game or adjust tactics, is a useful dimension to have?

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:43 pm

Devonranger wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:22 pm
Thanks Wests - is he someone that could play off Smith or at the top of of our formation on his own?
He's neither one or the other tbh, he's quick so often gets shoved out wide of a three but his best position is Uptop down the middle, he's a physical player & quick but you couldn't say he's an out & out striker & defo not good enough to play alone uptop in the championship.

I would be concerned we would have another CW situation on our hands if he signed neither a wide man or a proper striker sort of a mix between the two.

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:54 pm

Everton have loaned around 10 youngsters to championship clubs why we couldn't have got involved in that after selling that kid to them I'm not sure.

ill give you two names to remember this season Tom elliot gone to Millwall on a free & Joe Garner to Ipswich 900k.

Both great bits of business the sort of business I can't understand why we couldn't do.

Garner will get 15-20 goals for Ipswich & Elliot at a struggling on paper club like Millwall I reckon could score enough to keep them up.

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by UxbridgeR » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:23 pm

westlondonlalala wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:54 pm
Everton have loaned around 10 youngsters to championship clubs why we couldn't have got involved in that after selling that kid to them I'm not sure.

ill give you two names to remember this season Tom elliot gone to Millwall on a free & Joe Garner to Ipswich 900k.

Both great bits of business the sort of business I can't understand why we couldn't do.

Garner will get 15-20 goals for Ipswich & Elliot at a struggling on paper club like Millwall I reckon could score enough to keep them up.
Garner has scored a lot of goals in L1, but his Championship return is poor. Don't know much about Elliott, but his record looks nothing special either.

I agree about the Everton loans. With transfer fees for proven Championship strikers now at levels way beyond our means, loans from PL clubs have to be an option or us. There's still plenty of time until the transfer window closes at least, although not much before the season starts.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:45 pm

I Know elliot was a sub for a lot of his AFC games & your right about Garner I thought he scored all those in the championship, even so I would still be confident that both will outscore any of our strikers this coming season.

I just thought a makeweight in the Bowler deal would be a couple of there youngsters, but obviously not they've loaned kids to every other club but Qpr.

karateelvis
Logo Designer
Logo Designer

Post by karateelvis » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:17 am

I'd be a little concerned we don't have the right players to play a 4-2-3-1. I think in this formation the two who sit in front of the defence have a vital role to play and I'm not sure any of our midfielders quite fit this role.

Personally, I'd be looking at picking a formation that gets the best of out Manning, Luongo & Pawel. Maybe 4-5-1?
"Every dog has its day, and today is woof day! Today I just want to bark!"

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:59 am

And yet, it could be argued most of our CMs are suited to being in the 2 in a 4231 - Scowen, Cousins, Goss, and Borysiuk if he stays. Manning may well develop as a DCM. Luongo and Freeman have played reasonably well in there too, though I think they're better utilised further forward or as the box to box CM.

That said, we do lack height and physical presence in that area. None of our CMs is exactly a unit.

karateelvis
Logo Designer
Logo Designer

Post by karateelvis » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:24 am

Had totally forgotten about Borysiuk and in all honesty, I don't know enough about Scowen & Goss.

For me Luongo is a little wasted sitting deep, I think his best assets are his movement and creativity, so personally I'd like to see him given a little more freedom than this holding role would allow. Same for Manning. As for Cousins, whenever I saw him at his best for Charlton I always thought of him as a 'Box to Box' type - again not sure he has the discipline to be a holding midfielder.

And Freeman i always thought of more of an attacking player.

KildarePete
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by KildarePete » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:43 pm

dm wrote:
    Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:59 am
    Manning may well develop as a DCM.
    Manning started off as an out-and-out striker in his under-age career. Do you think he has a strong enough defensive element to his game? I would have thought he's stronger as creative player / deal-ball situations. I've haven't seen him play in the flesh - only the odd televised game. So maybe he's doing things that don't come across on the TV.

dm
    dot.org player kit 2007
    dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:16 pm

KildarePete wrote:
    Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:43 pm
      dm wrote:
      Manning may well develop as a DCM.
      Manning started off as an out-and-out striker in his under-age career. Do you think he has a strong enough defensive element to his game? I would have thought he's stronger as creative player / deal-ball situations. I've haven't seen him play in the flesh - only the odd televised game. So maybe he's doing things that don't come across on the TV.
      He's pretty tigerish in the tackle - perhaps little too much as he accrued 8 yellows in 18 appearances last season. He's also got a good pass in him and looks like he can notch up a few goals.

I'm not sure where his best position is yet. I hope he doesn't end up as one of those players whose ability to play a number of roles doesn't do him any favours. He's got good ability and looks to me like he can improve and become a fine player.

Esox Lucius
      dot.org legend
      dot.org legend

Post by Esox Lucius » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:44 pm

If people get fed up with Perch and Onuoha maybe Ryan could step in as a scapegoat?
      It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

westlondonlalala
      Level 5 dot.orger
      Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:01 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
      Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:44 pm
      If people get fed up with Perch and Onuoha maybe Ryan could step in as a scapegoat?
      Perch's lack of footballing ability means he has to hack people down & is a yellow / red card liability, Ned although I love & has been great for us over the years is also now a liability.

They are not scapegoats people just say it how they see it, like you watch women's football & think They would beat most teams in League2 :lol:

We could always dip into the wsl transfer market for a CB & fullback.

karateelvis
      Logo Designer
      Logo Designer

Post by karateelvis » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:12 pm

dm wrote:
      I hope he doesn't end up as one of those players whose ability to play a number of roles doesn't do him any favours.
      I have a feeling this is what has happened to Luongo so far. Obvious talent but never settled into one consistent midfield role.